PDA

View Full Version : jacked up

dave
06-25-2007, 04:41 PM
When you are shooting over the top of an obstructing ball, do you stay flat footed or will you raise up on the ball of your rear foot for additional height?

bataisbest
06-25-2007, 05:26 PM
I raise up enough to feel stable and comfortable for the stroke. I see some people overdo it and it throws them off balance.

SpiderMan
06-25-2007, 08:58 PM
I raise up in proportion to the steepness of the jack-up, because I'm trying to maintain a familiar "look angle" down on the cue.

My perspective seems best when I keep my head at a near-nominal perpendicular distance from the extended centerline of the cue. This means I do not have to raise myself in a 1:1 ratio, because the perpendicular distance moves forward of the cue when it is not level. That's also why I raise up only on my rear foot, because I'm rotating slightly forward to stay correctly above the line of the cue.

The preceding comments apply only to shots executed using a conventional underhand delivery.

SpiderMan

dave
06-26-2007, 10:00 AM
Thanks for the thoughtful response.

JimS
06-27-2007, 07:15 AM
I'm not nearly as tall is you Spidey (I'm 5'10") so when I have to jack up it often requires that I get on "tippy toes". I'm left handed and shoot with my right eye over the cue so when I jack up, and get high enough to do the shot I can't get my head over the cue and my sighting line gets real messed up.