PDA

View Full Version : Price of Pool

Cydpkt
06-26-2007, 02:34 PM
Where I live we don't have a pool hall to play so we are restricted to the bars. Most bars in town are $0.75 and one is $0.50. It is not surprising to see the $0.50 have a lot more customers than the others even though its tables aren't the best in town. I recently heard from a bar owner that the State of Montana Tavern Association is going to try to get all the bars in Montana to bring their prices up to $1.00 a game. It seems to me the bar owners are in business to sell drinks and give a person a reason to stay in the establishment. Its sad to say that it takes me longer to play a buck in a keno machine that it would to play 1 or 2 games of pool. It makes me wonder what other places are paying for a game?

eat_sleep_pool
06-26-2007, 02:49 PM
Hey
i live in windsor, ontario, canada. lol and iv seen a table that was 2 freaking dollors, however most are 1.50 :S i was shocked to see your .50cent tables.....

BigRigTom
06-26-2007, 02:53 PM
A lot of the bars in Southern California charge 75 cents but the ones that charge only 50 cents have a lot more players....like you mentioned.
The best bars to play in around here is PJ's Pub in Thousand Oaks or the Arena Sports Bar in Simi Valley... and they both cater to pool players and therefore charge only 50 cents.
PJ's has signs posted around the bar that say:
"Pool - 50 cents per game...as it should be!"

The owners there are good friends and Erwin & Phyllis both play APA 9 ball and 8 ball and everyone thinks the world of them. Pj's has 4 nice clean bar boxes with Simonis 860 plus the bar opens the tables for league and provides red circle cue balls for match play.

League players who want to go in and practice can rent the table for $5 per hour if they prefer.

We have other bars around here that don't even want to air condition the place much less take care of the pool tables. Some of them will never learn.
Other places simply discourage pool players so you wonder why they even have a table in the place. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Cydpkt
06-26-2007, 02:54 PM
That place is always packed. Takes people longer to play two games than it does one. Hence they drink more when they are there longer. Bar makes more money. Seems like a win-win situation to me.

bsmutz
06-26-2007, 05:44 PM
Around here, almost all bars are 50 cents. There are a couple that are 25 cents and quite a few that have free pool during certain hours/days.

canadan
06-27-2007, 06:31 AM
wow $1.50 here too! Winnipeg but I guess thats what happen when rooms rent their tables from the same place. I remember in Holland it was 2 euro a game. paid so much and tryed not to run tables but gathered a crowed quickly and couldn't stop. The worst part no one wanted to play for drinks after the first few people steped up. I think it was the Bulldog bar.

Paul_Mon
06-27-2007, 08:24 AM
There's only one place where I live that has coin-op bar boxes, maybe a dozen of them. Went in there one Friday evening with a bunch of guys as part of a stag party. The bartender was smart enough to turn 4 tables on for us to play free. We, 12 guys, probably spent over $150 on drinks and tipped at least $40 in the 1 1/2 hour we were there. IMO, she was smart to do so. The tables were just sitting there anyway and we probably would have had one round and left had it not been for the free pool.

The hall that I frequent has been charging a flat rate of $5/person for all the pool you want any time of day. Evidently they make more doing that than by the hour. This place has about fifteen 9' tables, one billiard table and about 10 bar boxes.

Paul Mon

SpiderMan
06-27-2007, 08:50 AM
Most coin-op tables in Dallas, TX are $1.00 now. Last weekend I was in Memphis, TN, and paid $0.50 for coin-op. I'm told $0.50 is still the norm there.

On the flip side, many of the places with $1.00 tables in Dallas also have "free nights". For example, the bar opens the tables (free) at one place I frequent, all day and night on Saturdays and Mondays, and after 7 pm on Thursdays. They also have free food at happy hour, often home-cooked or catered meals.

SpiderMan

dg-in-centralpa
06-27-2007, 11:57 AM
Most bars where I play are .75, probably soon to go to $1.00 for the next pool season. We do have a private club where it is still .50 and the table is great to play on.

DG

Deeman3
06-27-2007, 01:19 PM
They are 50 cents here but free on the Gandy Big G at home.

Jager85
06-27-2007, 01:30 PM
I live about 30 miles out of Chicago, IL. Here the bars are usually $1.00. Any clubs that you can join are usually 50 cents, since you are paying a membership fee anyway. I love it when our league shoots at one of these clubs.

For free pool:
Monday - about 3 bars withing 7 miles, and Break Time Billiards (9 foot tables) for anyone over 21
Tuesday - Tommy O's (me and my wife's main bar)
Wednesday - American Dreams
Thursday - Tommy O's
Friday & Saturday - Rudy's after 11:00pm (Diamond tables with Aramith balls, I love this bar)
Sunday - Tommy O's

Obviously our main bar is Tommy O's because of all of the nights it is free pool. Other than that if I plan to play in a tournament or spend money it is Rudy's or a pool hall.

Curtis

BigRigTom
06-27-2007, 01:33 PM
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned it in this thread yet so I will.
Here and most places it is customary for the challenger to put up the quarter or dollar(buck+fifty to the Canucks) for the next game.
If you believe most of the sticks on this forum they should only have to put up once per night....that would be a fairly inexpensive night of pool......unfortunately I usually get beat so I have to KEEP putting up till I get in the amount of games I want to play. /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif

tjlmbklr
06-27-2007, 02:10 PM
I'd say that 75% of the good bars that have pool tables in WI have at least on day a week that the games are free. As for the price normally, they range from $.50 to $1.00.

bradb
06-27-2007, 02:55 PM
Bar tables are really more for socializing, its an entertainment diversion along with the pull tabs. Best place I feel is at a good pool hall or billiards club. There you can pay a reasonable fee and not have to keep coughing up change.

When you mix drinking with the game you get obnoxious behavior, its not a good invironment for serious players. Brad /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Cydpkt
06-27-2007, 03:05 PM
I just feel really bad for my opponents to spend so much money. (if you believe that they are the ones spending the money...) Here in Helena the bars don't own the tables so they don't have a way of opening up the tables for free. Some vending company owns the tables and does very very little to maintain the tables. Felt gets change every 3-4 years and they don't get leveled. You can count on at least 1-2 dead rails per table. There is one bar in town that owns 3 tables and the vendor has the other 3. When they hold a tourney they do a greens fee then opens them up. That is the closest thing to free pool around here. One bar did offer free pool but they would put the $0.75 in the table each time. (they don't own the tables nor do they have a key to open them up) They have since stopped offering free pool on Sunday nights. Guess I'm going to have to build onto my house and enter the Best Room thread soon!

billiards89
06-27-2007, 03:56 PM
i live in nebraska around here most places are .50 i just recently went to the bigger places like omaha and lincoln and every were was a $1

MrLucky
06-28-2007, 05:01 AM
The spots here in Atlanta range from .75 to $1.00 and most that I go to keep the tables fairly well ! not as good as say Mr Cues or the Pool Room but good for bar tables though their is always the exception with a golf course for a rag!

SpiderMan
06-28-2007, 09:37 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dg-in-centralpa:</font><hr> Most bars where I play are .75, probably soon to go to $1.00 for the next pool season. We do have a private club where it is still .50 and the table is great to play on.

DG <hr /></blockquote>

I neglected to mention this also. Even in Dallas, where the standard bar price is $1.00, the "private" clubs like VFW and American Legion are still at 50 cents.

SpiderMan

loyter
06-29-2007, 01:54 PM
A bit off topic, but have you ever seen people feeding quarters to a pay table on a free pool night? Funniest thing...the box door was removed and on the floor under the table so you could just reach in and get the balls, but a group of people bought 3 or 4 games before someone else noticed and clued them in.

Needless to say, they weren't much good, and they got their $1 worth out of the games they paid for.

okinawa77
07-13-2007, 04:32 PM
There is a bar in Nagoya, Japan near the Hilton Hotel/Hard Rock Cafe. The name of the bar is "Shooters". The owner is a cool European guy, maybe Italian. He has 1 bar table and it takes 5, 100Yen coins....roughly 5 USD. 5 dollars is a lot, but Japan is one of the most expensive places in the world. Sometimes, he has is open for free pool. Usually, when I have to pay. I only pay for the first game. The competition is weak in that area, and I hog up the table. I want to get my money's worth, but sometimes I feel bad about being a table hog. So, I'll try super complex shots to give my opponents opportunities to win.

teliman
07-19-2007, 04:51 PM
Are we talking full-sized tables for $0.50 and $0.75/game? I'd love to get my hands on that. I mostly see $10-$14/hr. There's one place I know that'll do $12/person for the day from Sun-Thursday. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

1Time
07-19-2007, 05:38 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote teliman:</font><hr> Are we talking full-sized tables for $0.50 and $0.75/game? I'd love to get my hands on that. I mostly see $10-$14/hr. There's one place I know that'll do $12/person for the day from Sun-Thursday. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Per game is on the bar boxes, and hourly rates are for the 9' tables. Here in Vegas the prices are usually $0.50 to $1.00 per game and around $4.00 to $5.00 per hour per person.

teliman
07-19-2007, 06:25 PM
Oh, per hour per person. So they're charging 8-10/hour for the table if there are 2 people playing? That sounds more like it, but it's still a great price from my point of view.

Snapshot9
07-20-2007, 06:48 AM
In Kansas, they are .75 a game although players almost revolted when it went from .50 to .75 around here.

9 ball Challenge tables are .50.

Half of the rooms around here will open up a table to hourly rates when 2 players match up, usually $5 an hour, but you have to ask them to do it.

cuetangclan
07-23-2007, 03:17 AM
Most places in Melbourne, Australia are $2 AUS per game (Approx $1.75US.) You're lucky to sometimes get a $1 AUS (0.80cent US) table. Hourly rates vary greatly in the poolhalls, $5 AUS($4.40 US) to $20 AUS ($17.60 US)

tnewson
07-23-2007, 05:47 AM
hey there,

Im in england and if you go to pubs and clubs or even firstbowl it is 2 for 1 game of pool on a 6x3ft pool table with beer stained cloth and a bent cue... ( 2 is )$4.10

Dagwood
07-23-2007, 08:17 AM
tnewson, what are the billiard clubs out there charging for time, or memberships as it may be? Curiousity is getting the better of me........

Dags

tnewson
07-23-2007, 09:58 AM
well the place near me called ' rileys' charge 3 to sign up, 10 to rent a cue if you dont take your own and 7.50 to play for 3 hours so a total of 20.50 if you dont have a cue so thats $42.4 usd..

They might charge more around my way being near the capital though.

gordman
07-23-2007, 11:21 AM
Well it looks like you have some hard times...

KellyStick
07-23-2007, 11:36 AM
Most of the bars in the Baton Rouge area are $0.75. There is one that is a dollar that I am aware of. Also, if I recall the local Clicks was a dollar or maybe more... I don't go there. Some of the "Pool halls" don't have coin op tables and their rentals are all over the map depending one what day and what time of day. One of the pool halls here has coin ops but they are the smallest coin ops I have ever seen. They are $0.75 though. The one bar that charges a buck does maintain their four tables pretty well. The home bar we shoot APA out of used to maintain their 75 cent table well but now they seem to have lost their vacuum, their brooms and most all of their cleaning supplies in general.

BigRigTom
07-23-2007, 05:22 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote tnewson:</font><hr> well the place near me called ' rileys' charge 3 to sign up, 10 to rent a cue if you dont take your own and 7.50 to play for 3 hours so a total of 20.50 if you dont have a cue so thats $42.4 usd..

They might charge more around my way being near the capital though. <hr /></blockquote>

This post is pretty useless since the user is anonymous and he or she doesn't bother to mention where he or she is so what ever is near him or her is probably no where near anyone else that gives a damn any way. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Dagwood
07-24-2007, 07:39 AM
Actually, it DOES answer my question as to what the billiard parlours in England are charging...and they said that they were around the Capital, which would be in the south around London.

BTW tnewson, thanks for the answer. Still thinking about taking a job up in the Leeds area, (quite a ways from the capital, but all the same), and am curious what they are charging to play over there.

Dags

BigRigTom
07-24-2007, 03:08 PM
I'm sorry, I went back a re-read that post again and again. I don't see where it says anything about being in England and as for "Close to the Capital"....what does that tell you? I know of several locales that can be referred to as "The Capitol"....sort of like "The Pool Hall" sound pretty generic to me. If he is near the Capitol he MUST be around Washington DC, USA or maybe it is Sydney if he is down under or even Moscow if he is over there. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Dagwood
07-24-2007, 03:19 PM
If you bothered to look at the monetary denominations that he was using it was in british pounds. besides, what other currency in the world has a 2-1 exchange rate witht he US $$? Just a little common sense and worldiness is all that was required there.

Dags

BigRigTom
07-24-2007, 03:39 PM
OOOOO Yes,
Now I understand. England is the ONLY place that uses the British pound now and I should have noticed the stiff upper lip as well, ole chap. Ta Ta
I will also work on my worldlyness.
Sorry if I offended.
How stupid of me but just remember I am American and you know how we are since we are no longer the colonies.

Seriously, I did not mean to offend anyone. My comment was probably a bit blunt but I just think that when people wish to state an opinion or comment on a subject they should at least identify themselves or if they wish to remain annonymous they be articulate and clear on their comments as possible, if for no other reason. just to avoid smart asses such as myself.

Lighten up and have a nice day and I will try to do the same....I have to go practice now anyway...I need all I can get. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

dave666
07-29-2007, 10:44 AM
i run a poolroom in west peoria illinois called daves goodtime billiards and i understand the problem. i keep my coin op tables .50 every day. but twice a month i lower the price to .25. i noticed when i lower the price i get alot of shady, mooching, no money haveing bumbs that just take up my good customers air. so yeah you get more people but you don't make more money and you end up haveing more problems with some that is just there to loiter and beg from others tha have money.