PDA

View Full Version : keep straight or bend your knees

billiards89
06-27-2007, 04:04 PM
whats the best way to get down on your cue to shoot keep your legs straight or bend your knees

DeadCrab
06-27-2007, 05:48 PM
If you want to be ergonomically correct, or at least as correct as possible, there should be some knee flexion. This will reduce hamstring tension, and make things a lot easier on the lower back.

Being over 50, and with a long history of back problems, I bend my knees a lot. I can get my chin on the stick this way, but it throws my stroke off, so I tend to shoot a little higher, but still with bent knees.

If you are young and have a good back, a slight flex at the knees might help keep it that way.

cushioncrawler
06-27-2007, 08:52 PM
Me, myself, i belong to another school -- i bend one leg and keep one straight. In addition, koz i have trouble getting low, i spread my legs a long long way apart, which invites a gotchya (limit iz one per match), and looks silly, but thats too bad. madMac.

Cydpkt
06-27-2007, 11:57 PM
There are a variety out there. It seems to me it would and could be a little different for a 5'2" compared to a 6'8" person. A good solid base is critical and what ever combination of straight or bent that gets that solid base would be best. Lots and lots of books have pics of the standard stances along with different bridges and such. My feeling is what ever feels comfortable and creats a solid base is best. I like your thought towards the basics and creating that good habit will pay dividends on down the road.

Snapshot9
06-29-2007, 10:56 AM
The recommended stance is from studies that produced the straightest lines and flow for a good stroke, and ALSO FOR THE WEIGHT DISTRIBUTED to be on your joints and not your muscles, muscles fatigue, joints don't.

When you bend both legs you put the weight on both leg muscles and on the lower back because you have to bend your back with both legs bent. Your grip arm leg should be straight and locked, your bridge arm leg should be a little wider than shoulder width, slightly bent, with the foot being turned slightly forward towards the tip of your cue.
You should be standing at a 45 degree angle to your cue, and where when you bend down into shooting position WITH YOUR BACK STRAIGHT, the cue is pretty much under your chin.

I don't accept ALL THE EXCUSES that taller people offer for bad stances since I played with a 7'1" New Jersey center basketball player going to college in Dodge City, that stood absolutely correct when he played. He knew the importance of good form in sports. Many taller players just go for comfort in lieu of correctness, not knowing that their 'adapted' form will cause other problems for them. Just think if all athletes went for comfort instead of correctness? How much excellence do you think you would see? You are much better sticking with the 'rule' rather than the 'exception' when trying to achieve excellence in a sport.

Cydpkt
06-29-2007, 11:12 AM
I agree and have seen many "taller" people who have some weird and wacky stances. My only mention was to say there would be some differences between people of different heights. The height of most tables is very close to the same, how people approach and set up on that table varies. Its kind of like asking which stroke is the best. When watching the pros you see a whole variety of strokes. Most have some sort of pause just before making the shot.

JimS
07-08-2007, 05:13 PM
Well... you can advocate the "right" way all you want but when your back won't let you bend you learn to bend at the knees. No theories. No shoulds. No shouldn'ts. Just can or can't.

cushioncrawler
07-08-2007, 07:12 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote JimS:</font><hr> Well... you can advocate the "right" way all you want but when your back won't let you bend you learn to bend at the knees. No theories. No shoulds. No shouldn'ts. Just can or can't.<hr /></blockquote>In my case i have trouble seeing throo my glasses, ie i havta bend my neck'n'head up a lot so that i aint looking throo the top rim of my glasses. This puts a lot of stress into my neck, so, i spread'n'bend my leg(s) a lot to take pressure off my neck. I kood fix this "glasses" problem by getting a special "Magoo" set of glasses, but i wood rather stick with my street glasses -- ucan never get special glasses to match your street glasses, ie the balls look like eggs. madMac.

Wity
07-09-2007, 09:48 AM
I cant get my chin on the cue no matter how I stand. Is there some reason to explain this perhaps linked to the fact i've never been able to touch my toes either?

cushioncrawler
07-09-2007, 02:55 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wity:</font><hr> I cant get my chin on the cue no matter how I stand. Is there some reason to explain this perhaps linked to the fact i've never been able to touch my toes either? <hr /></blockquote>Wity -- U must have read one of my old postings -- yes, i karnt touch my toes, never could (without lots of pain at least). And, yes, this iz all really about "how to get your chin on the cue eezyly".

But, it raizes a different point -- why do we feel that we need to keep our chin on the cue. Some say that it iz for better sighting -- i dont agree. I reckon that most of us can sight just az well (or better) with the chin off the cue, in fact a long wayz off the cue. But, i think that chin'on'cue lends itself to more consistent cueing, thats all. So, spread'n'bend thoze pegs. madMac.

Chopstick
08-10-2007, 08:44 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cushioncrawler:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wity:</font><hr> I cant get my chin on the cue no matter how I stand. Is there some reason to explain this perhaps linked to the fact i've never been able to touch my toes either? <hr /></blockquote>Wity -- U must have read one of my old postings -- yes, i karnt touch my toes, never could (without lots of pain at least). And, yes, this iz all really about "how to get your chin on the cue eezyly".

But, it raizes a different point -- why do we feel that we need to keep our chin on the cue. Some say that it iz for better sighting -- i dont agree. I reckon that most of us can sight just az well (or better) with the chin off the cue, in fact a long wayz off the cue. But, i think that chin'on'cue lends itself to more consistent cueing, thats all. So, spread'n'bend thoze pegs. madMac. <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue">Can you see your toes without bending over? </font color> /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

<font color="blue">The most important thing is to be comfortable and solid. I have known guys that were excellent players that shot standing straight up. The Miz, in his book listed getting too low over the stick as a flaw. I have often commented, in jest, that the advantage the fillipinos have is their height. When they walk up to the table they don't have to bend over. They are already there.</font color> /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Snapshot9
08-10-2007, 08:50 AM
Yes, you have it right! I am 'old school' - legs spread a little more than shoulder width, if right handed, you right leg is locked, turn your left foot halfway towards the table, and your left leg is slightly bent. 60% of the weight should be on your right leg, and 40% on your left.

The stance is so, that your joints bear the weight, and not your muscles. Muscles fatigue over time, joints don't.

Also, you bend at the waist when getting down, keeping your back straight. The comparison I make all the time is from a standing rifle position down into a Pool stance, you will notice the similiarities after you do this a few times.

dave666
08-10-2007, 10:05 AM
everyone shoots and stands a little differently. i was told to keep my legs bent a little, keep my feet shoulder width apart, and to stand at a 45 degree angle to the table. im not sure if it would work for you but it has for me for 35 years, but i had to keep on myself for years so that it was burned into my little brain.

cushioncrawler
08-10-2007, 06:20 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chopstick:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote cushioncrawler:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wity:</font><hr> I cant get my chin on the cue no matter how I stand. Is there some reason to explain this perhaps linked to the fact i've never been able to touch my toes either?<hr /></blockquote>Wity -- U must have read one of my old postings -- yes, i karnt touch my toes, never could (without lots of pain at least). And, yes, this iz all really about "how to get your chin on the cue eezyly". But, it raizes a different point -- why do we feel that we need to keep our chin on the cue. Some say that it iz for better sighting -- i dont agree. I reckon that most of us can sight just az well (or better) with the chin off the cue, in fact a long wayz off the cue. But, i think that chin'on'cue lends itself to more consistent cueing, thats all. So, spread'n'bend thoze pegs. madMac.<hr /></blockquote><font color="blue">Can you see your toes without bending over?</font color> /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

<font color="blue">The most important thing is to be comfortable and solid. I have known guys that were excellent players that shot standing straight up. The Miz, in his book listed getting too low over the stick as a flaw. I have often commented, in jest, that the advantage the fillipinos have is their height. When they walk up to the table they don't have to bend over. They are already there.</font color> /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif <hr /></blockquote>Chops -- I agree that small players have an advantage.

Last week i found my old billiards glasses (adjustable bridge) (that i havent uzed for over 10 years) and have started uzing them again. The good thing about them iz that i dont havta "crane" my neck up to see properly (which iz what i woz doing when uzing my "street" glasses), but all the same i still havta bend'n'spread my legs to get down to the shot, ie to get my chin on the cue. I am getting new lenses fitted next week, karnt wait.

It might be a bit irrelevant to this thread, re bending the legs, but it appears that (on all threads on all forums) nobody ever mentions the real No1 reezon why allmost all good snooker players stand with both feet allmost parallel to the shot. One player told me that this woz koz it makes the player bend the back etc over'n'around to an uncomfortable pozzy -- uncomfortable but very very repeatable, ie allmost zero slack in the system. This reminds me of Lee Trevino, he sez that he took the right'hand'rough out of play by standing with hiz toe'to'toe line aiming 30dg left (instead of the uzual 00dg or 10dg left), the same sort of theory. madMac.

1Time
08-15-2007, 04:53 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chopstick:</font><hr>

<font color="blue">The most important thing is to be comfortable and solid. </font color> <hr /></blockquote>

Although comfort with a solid stance is important (and fundamental), the most important thing is what works best for a particular individual.