PDA

View Full Version : who is the best cue manufacturer

billiards89
06-27-2007, 04:35 PM
<FORM METHOD=POST ACTION="http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/dopoll.php"><INPUT TYPE=HIDDEN NAME="pollname" VALUE="1182983753billiards89">

who is the best cue manufacturer

<input type="radio" name="option" value="1" />predator
<input type="radio" name="option" value="2" />meucci
<input type="radio" name="option" value="3" />mcdermott
<input type="radio" name="option" value="4" />players
<input type="radio" name="option" value="5" />joss
<input type="radio" name="option" value="6" />viking

cushioncrawler
06-27-2007, 08:56 PM
I karnt vote here, but i would reckon that nowadayz Hoo iz. madMac.

cueball1950
06-27-2007, 09:16 PM
none of the above..............mike

Cydpkt
06-27-2007, 11:52 PM
Since I don't own any of the above it is hard to say. Are you meaning out of the choices given who is the best? There are plenty of others out there. I would be interested to know how many people don't have a Predator cue but own a Predator shaft?

Deeman3
06-28-2007, 03:58 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cueball1950:</font><hr> none of the above..............mike <hr /></blockquote>
<font color="blue"> Check! </font color>

underdog
06-28-2007, 04:20 PM
That's like asking who is the best guitar player. It's all a matter of opinion. This is mine anyway.

ceebee
06-28-2007, 04:23 PM
I say none of the above... too.
But any of them are good enough for me to play with.

Rich R.
06-28-2007, 05:36 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cueball1950:</font><hr> none of the above..............mike <hr /></blockquote>
Ditto! /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Deeman3
06-29-2007, 07:39 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote underdog:</font><hr> That's like asking who is the best guitar player. <font color="blue"> Jimi Hendrix </font color> <hr /></blockquote>

MrLucky
06-29-2007, 09:27 AM
This is such an arbitrary question totally subjective by nature! There is no "BEST" Cuemaker ! IMO! there are however some bad Cuemakers ! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif although even their identity is arbitrary since I am sure there
are those that own their products that love them! /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

MrLucky
06-29-2007, 09:29 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote billiards89:</font><hr> &lt;FORM METHOD=POST ACTION="http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/dopoll.php"&gt;&lt;INPUT TYPE=HIDDEN NAME="pollname" VALUE="1182983753billiards89"&gt;
&lt;p&gt;who is the best cue manufacturer

&lt;input type="radio" name="option" value="1" /&gt;predator
&lt;input type="radio" name="option" value="2" /&gt;meucci
&lt;input type="radio" name="option" value="3" /&gt;mcdermott
&lt;input type="radio" name="option" value="4" /&gt;players
&lt;input type="radio" name="option" value="5" /&gt;joss
&lt;input type="radio" name="option" value="6" /&gt;viking

<hr /></blockquote> <font color="green"> If this question were ... "Who is the best of this group! I would vote McDermott ! </font color> /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

dg-in-centralpa
06-29-2007, 09:36 AM
I agree.
Amongst the living....Beck,Page,Clapton,Walsh
DG

Deeman3
06-29-2007, 11:17 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dg-in-centralpa:</font><hr> I agree.
DG <hr /></blockquote> <font color="blue">

Wow, DG, I would have picked exactly the same group behind Hentrix. We must have listened and heard the same stuff.... /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif</font color>

bsmutz
06-29-2007, 11:53 AM
Yeah, but what about David Gilmour, Johnny Winter, Chris Isaak, and B.B. King? To find out who the best cue maker is, you need to develop your criteria. Then I think you would need to visit each factory and check into their quality control to see who comes closest to meeting your criteria. Even after all that, I still think you would need to do a subjective comparison using your senses backed up with empirical data to determine which one works best for you. Don't forget to throw all the variables at it, too. Different tips, different shaft tapers and diameters, low deflection shafts from all the different sources, butt weights, shaft lengths, wraps, joints, etc. These will all have some sort of affect on the overall experience. Lastly, you also may want to take asthetics into account which could be just your taste, your small group of friends' collective taste, or you could do a nationwide poll to find out what the largest majority of people agree is the best looking (with all of the possibilities in between or outside those margins).
It's kind of like buying shoes. You can try on many pairs, find a pair that looks good and fits well, but until you get them home and wear them for awhile, you really can't be sure if they aren't going to cause a blister. Did you get the best pair of shoes ever made? Doubtful. Were they a good buy for the money? Probably. Do they look good to you and probably most people who will see them? Probably. Will you get good wear out of them? Probably. Will they do a good job? Probably. Can you tweak them to make them work better for you? Yes. Can you replace them if they just don't work out? Yes. Same thing with a cue stick.

Deeman3
06-29-2007, 11:57 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bsmutz:</font><hr> Yeah, but what about David Gilmour <font color="blue">Too much electronic help </font color> , Johnny Winter <font color="blue"> Too White </font color> , Chris Isaak <font color="blue"> Too Slow </font color> , and B.B. King <font color="blue"> Too much one song fame (and I'm from Memphis</font color> ? To find out who the best cue maker is, you need to develop your criteria. Then I think you would need to visit each factory and check into their quality control to see who comes closest to meeting your criteria. Even after all that, I still think you would need to do a subjective comparison using your senses backed up with empirical data to determine which one works best for you. Don't forget to throw all the variables at it, too. Different tips, different shaft tapers and diameters, low deflection shafts from all the different sources, butt weights, shaft lengths, wraps, joints, etc. These will all have some sort of affect on the overall experience. Lastly, you also may want to take asthetics into account which could be just your taste, your small group of friends' collective taste, or you could do a nationwide poll to find out what the largest majority of people agree is the best looking (with all of the possibilities in between or outside those margins).
It's kind of like buying shoes. You can try on many pairs, find a pair that looks good and fits well, but until you get them home and wear them for awhile, you really can't be sure if they aren't going to cause a blister. Did you get the best pair of shoes ever made? Doubtful. Were they a good buy for the money? Probably. Do they look good to you and probably most people who will see them? Probably. Will you get good wear out of them? Probably. Will they do a good job? Probably. Can you tweak them to make them work better for you? Yes. Can you replace them if they just don't work out? Yes. Same thing with a cue stick. <hr /></blockquote> <font color="blue">All you say here is true. I just don't happen to think that cues matter that much. </font color>

DeadCrab
06-29-2007, 12:09 PM
Stevie Ray Vaughn.

Cornerman
06-29-2007, 12:11 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bsmutz:</font><hr> Yeah, but what about David Gilmour, Johnny Winter, Chris Isaak, and B.B. King? <hr /></blockquote>

And much overlooked, the incomparable musical genius Prince.

Jeff Beck
Jimmy Page
Jimi Hendrix
Eddie Van Halen
Eric Clapton
Mark Knopfler

Fred &lt;~~~ in no particular order

dg-in-centralpa
06-29-2007, 01:53 PM
While Knopfler and Van Halen are good, I don't think they compare with the others. Prince is a genius in some respects but as far as playing, I don't think he can hold a candle to the others mentioned. One other dead one to consider is Duane Allman. Allman and Clapton together(Derek and the Dominoes)one fantastic group. Drummers....only two worth mentioning, bar none- Neil Peart and Carl Palmer.

DG

MrLucky
06-29-2007, 01:58 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cornerman:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote bsmutz:</font><hr> Yeah, but what about David Gilmour, Johnny Winter, Chris Isaak, and B.B. King? <hr /></blockquote>

And much overlooked, the incomparable musical genius Prince.

Jeff Beck
Jimmy Page
Jimi Hendrix
Eddie Van Halen
Eric Clapton
Mark Knopfler

Fred &lt;~~~ in no particular order <hr /></blockquote>
Hey Fred ! I knew besides a love of great Cues there was another reason I liked you ... you and I like the same guitarist !
<font color="green"> </font color> /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

BigRigTom
06-29-2007, 02:13 PM
I think you have all missed it!

Roy Clark is probably the best since Chet Atkins!

I saw Roy play with his toes on Hee Haw once!

pooltchr
06-29-2007, 03:35 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman3:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote dg-in-centralpa:</font><hr> I agree.
DG <hr /></blockquote> <font color="blue">

Wow, DG, I would have picked exactly the same group behind Hentrix. We must have listened and heard the same stuff.... /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif</font color> <hr /></blockquote>

Al DiMeola (for those who don't know, he started with Chick Corea, Stanley Clark and Lenny White in Return to Forever back in the 70's)
Steve

Rich R.
06-29-2007, 05:51 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dg-in-centralpa:</font><hr>Drummers....only two worth mentioning, bar none- Neil Peart and Carl Palmer.

DG <hr /></blockquote>
How about Keith Moon and Carmine Appice.
I'm sure there are others, but, I would have to think a little. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Edited to add Steve Gadd.
I thought a little.

underdog
06-29-2007, 10:22 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DeadCrab:</font><hr>
Stevie Ray Vaughn. <hr /></blockquote>

Tap tap tap.

dg-in-centralpa
06-30-2007, 09:59 AM
Moon was the same as Bonham, they could play and bang the skins, but didn't have much in style. If you ever saw Palmer, you know what I mean. He was flashy and did things with his sticks that I didn't know were possible. Last year he was touring with a small bamd playing all ELP music that he wrote or co-wrote. I saw him at Rams Head in Annapolis. Great show. Mary had never seen him and she was blown away. I never saw Carmine.

DG

dg-in-centralpa
06-30-2007, 10:03 AM
Deeman,
One other dead guitarist worth mentioning is Frank Zappa. Like his music or not, he was a great player. By the way, I saw you mentioned in Fels column in this months' issue of BD.

DG

Rich R.
06-30-2007, 01:58 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dg-in-centralpa:</font><hr> Moon was the same as Bonham, they could play and bang the skins, but didn't have much in style. If you ever saw Palmer, you know what I mean. He was flashy and did things with his sticks that I didn't know were possible. Last year he was touring with a small bamd playing all ELP music that he wrote or co-wrote. I saw him at Rams Head in Annapolis. Great show. Mary had never seen him and she was blown away. I never saw Carmine.
<hr /></blockquote>
I don't think Moon had much time for "style". Groups today hire two drummers to do what he did by himself.
Unfortunately, I never saw Palmer play in person, but I did like ELP music. Seeing him in a small club, like the Rams Head, must have been a real treat.
I saw Carmine play when he was still with the Vanilla Fudge. Yes, I know, I'm old. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Listening to Carmine, with Tim Bogert on bass, is something you never forget.
Steve Gadd has to be added to any list of great drummers. I saw him play with Chuck Mangione. To tell how good he is, all you have to do is look at his discography, which is quite impressive. http://www.drstevegadd.com/discography.htm

DickLeonard
07-01-2007, 11:51 AM
Deeman Double Check.####

DickLeonard
07-01-2007, 11:53 AM
Deeman Agree give me a great tip and a Housecue.####

sygfrid
07-02-2007, 03:23 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote billiards89:</font><hr> &lt;FORM METHOD=POST ACTION="http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/dopoll.php"&gt;&lt;INPUT TYPE=HIDDEN NAME="pollname" VALUE="1182983753billiards89"&gt;
&lt;p&gt;who is the best cue manufacturer
<hr /></blockquote>

DUFFERIN /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

dg-in-centralpa
07-02-2007, 07:45 AM
Rich,
Asia is supposed to be on tour. If they come to your area, check them out. Palmer will do a great 10 minute solo that is worth the price of the ticket. Although the rest of the band is great as well.

DG

Edd
07-03-2007, 10:24 AM
An influence for many excellent rock guitarists, including Dickie Betts and Joe Satriani, is living jazz legend Pat Martino. Check him out!!

Jager85
07-03-2007, 12:03 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman3:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote underdog:</font><hr> That's like asking who is the best guitar player. <font color="blue"> Jimi Hendrix </font color> <font color="red"> KERRY KING </font color> <hr /></blockquote> <hr /></blockquote>

KellyStick
07-04-2007, 11:24 AM
I own a Jensen Cue and some hefty thing I bought in the middle east (don't even know who made it). I have to put my votes are very similar to most guitar players mentioned already. For drummers my first thought was what about Keith Moon? But you all covered that. Grab a WHO album, make sure it was before he died and just focus on the drumming. He is all over the place.