PDA

View Full Version : Minimum wage

Drop1
06-28-2007, 08:56 PM
Why do we have a minimum wage? It violates the rights of a person willing to work for less,and increases unemployment. It is an increased cost to business that is passed on in the cost of the product. Democrats pushed hard in six states in the last election for the $7.25 per hour minimum wage,which helped them,along with Bumbling Bush to take Congress. Trade unions always push for a minimum wage,but they won't work for minimum wages. Germany,Switzerland,Italy,Sweden,Norway,Singapore, Denmark have no, by law minimum wage,but have a system of negotiating,that Qtec might be familiar with. So what are the benefits of minimum wage laws?

pooltchr
06-29-2007, 05:44 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Drop1:</font><hr> So what are the benefits of minimum wage laws? <hr /></blockquote>

The only benefit is that politicians can campaign to the people saying they voted for a minimum wage and look like they are helping the workers. The fact is that very few people actually work for minimum wage. Business can't attract quality workers unless they pay more. Ask your local McDonalds manager how many of his employees are paid above minimum wage. The answer might surprise you.
Steve

eg8r
06-29-2007, 06:08 AM
I don't agree with minimum wage at all. What has happened now is the left believes a wage should be representative of the amount it would take to love comfortably, instead of the wage being determined by the actual job at hand. Do you honestly think that a position that bags food should be paid $7.25/hr? I don't either.

Another issue that comes up with minimum wage is the idea from the left that the company should support the employees. Sorry that is not how it works. The wage rate should be based solely on the actual job being done, not on the social issues that surround most adults that are still working a child's job.

eg8r

DeadCrab
06-29-2007, 07:45 AM
The answer, which should be obvious, is to prevent exploitation of workers.

Qtec
06-29-2007, 07:49 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr> I don't agree with minimum wage at all. <font color="blue"> like you have said a zillion times before! </font color> What has happened now is the left believes a wage should be representative of the amount it would take to love comfortably, <font color="blue"> Where do you get this stuff from? the minimum wage is based on the cost of living. Its about survival not comfort. </font color> instead of the wage being determined by the actual job at hand. Do you honestly think that a position that bags food should be paid $7.25/hr? I don't either. <font color="blue"> Is that the only job you can think of? </font color>

Another issue that comes up with minimum wage is the idea from the left that the company should support the employees. Sorry that is not how it works. <font color="blue"> Tell me you don't get a pep talk every week about how the company is all important and that you have to be loyal to it etc. How many have given most of their lives to 'the company' only to be ditched when convenient? Employer and employee is a two way relationship. </font color> The wage rate should be based solely on the actual job being done, not on the social issues that surround most adults that are still working a child's job.

eg8r <hr /></blockquote>

Pretty soon you might be replaced by an Indian spotty kid who will do your job for half the money.[ see other thread]

Q

eg8r
06-29-2007, 08:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
like you have said a zillion times before! <hr /></blockquote> Well Q getting through to you is like talking to a brick wall.

[ QUOTE ]
Where do you get this stuff from? <hr /></blockquote> From people like you that ask stupid questions like "How do you expect a father of 3 to support his family on the rate of minimum wage?"

[ QUOTE ]
the minimum wage is based on the cost of living. Its about survival not comfort. <hr /></blockquote> Yeah right, and in your next post you will tell us that it is perfectly fine for people on welfare to continue buying booze and cigs and knocking up their girlfriends.

[ QUOTE ]
Is that the only job you can think of? <hr /></blockquote> After chatting with you for the past couple years I have noticed that if given a list you will pick one single example and run with it. Well I have shortened the list for you in the sake of time. However since you bring it up, why not tell us which minimum wage job is out there that is worth $7.25/hr?

Besides, since minimum wage increases affect every single minimum wage job, would you think the bagger should make more? Any chance you would give us a limit on what the actual job is worth?

Jobs are not paid based on cost of living. This is just something the looney left has thought up.

[ QUOTE ]
Tell me you don't get a pep talk every week about how the company is all important and that you have to be loyal to it etc. <hr /></blockquote> Nope, I am a professional and we spend our time working. No time for HR pep talks.

[ QUOTE ]
How many have given most of their lives to 'the company' only to be ditched when convenient? <hr /></blockquote> I don't know, can you tell me of one company that keeps those types of metrics?

[ QUOTE ]
Employer and employee is a two way relationship. <hr /></blockquote> Yes, and that relationship is clearly defined. It goes like this... <ul type="square"> Employer offers job at stated rate of pay Employee accepts that rate based on a specific work criteria Employee does his job Employer pays employee If employee neglects anywhere along the line his butt is on the street, this is not your mothers house [/list] There is your two way street. Employer offers to pay for a job, employee accepts, performs job and gets paid. End of two way road.

eg8r

Gayle in MD
06-29-2007, 09:44 AM
Tap Tap Tap...good post. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Drop1
06-29-2007, 12:17 PM
Sorry DeadCrab,that might have been the intention when minimum wage laws were introduced in 1933,however every single study,shows with each increase,there is an increase in unemployment,of people earning minimum wage. Why is it large corporations never come out against minimum wage? Simple,it falls to their benefit to have bigger tax breaks,and higher profits,by reducing labor. Minimum wage is the opportunity to live on the backs of the people,on the lowest level of the economic ladder. It also is an inflation maker,as the minimum wage goes up,so do prices,and taxes. A wonderful way to gain more tax dollars,at the expense of the poorest.

Drop1
06-29-2007, 12:22 PM
How much does it take to love comfortably /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Gayle in MD
06-29-2007, 01:59 PM
LMAO, ...

As you can see, Eggrivater is a real compassionate conservative /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif only problem is that term, compassionate conservative, is an oxymoron! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

eg8r
06-29-2007, 03:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
A wonderful way to gain more tax dollars,at the expense of the poorest. <hr /></blockquote> That was the biggest bunch of BS I have ever read. Thanks for the laugh.

eg8r

eg8r
06-29-2007, 03:20 PM
More than you have.

eg8r

Drop1
06-29-2007, 06:02 PM
Osama,read the first reply to my post you wrote.Read it carefully. You just might figure out I was having a little fun with the sentence you wrote. As far as having more, than I have,I'm pleased you do.

Drop1
06-29-2007, 06:10 PM
Shove your head up your A$$. Because you can't grasp what is being said,you think everyone else can't either. I would love to hear you and Paris Hilton,discuss minimum wage,at least we would have two minds that meet.

LWW
02-19-2012, 07:32 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Drop1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sorry DeadCrab,that might have been the intention when minimum wage laws were introduced in 1933,however every single study,shows with each increase,there is an increase in unemployment,of people earning minimum wage. Why is it large corporations never come out against minimum wage? Simple,it falls to their benefit to have bigger tax breaks,and higher profits,by reducing labor. Minimum wage is the opportunity to live on the backs of the people,on the lowest level of the economic ladder. It also is an inflation maker,as the minimum wage goes up,so do prices,and taxes. A wonderful way to gain more tax dollars,at the expense of the poorest. </div></div>

How'd the employment picture work out after this last big hike?

How many on the left have the spine to admit that assuaging their sense of "FAIRNESS" has decimated hundreds of thousands of the working poor?

Qtec
02-19-2012, 07:47 AM
You are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO pathetic.

Q

LWW
02-19-2012, 07:52 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Qtec</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO pathetic.

Q </div></div>

I would also be ashamed of defending that if I were you.

LWW
02-19-2012, 05:32 PM
Bump for the leftists to explain how putting millions of low wage earners on the unemployment rolls kept them from being exploited?

DiabloViejo
02-19-2012, 06:27 PM
As governor of MA, Mitt Romney supported minimum wage laws and even wanted them tied to an annual cost of living adjustment (COLA). Imagine that.

cushioncrawler
02-19-2012, 07:10 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Drop1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why do we have a minimum wage? It violates the rights of a person willing to work for less,and increases unemployment. It is an increased cost to business that is passed on in the cost of the product. Democrats pushed hard in six states in the last election for the $7.25 per hour minimum wage,which helped them,along with Bumbling Bush to take Congress. Trade unions always push for a minimum wage,but they won't work for minimum wages. Germany,Switzerland,Italy,Sweden,Norway,Singapore, Denmark have no, by law minimum wage,but have a system of negotiating,that Qtec might be familiar with. So what are the benefits of minimum wage laws?</div></div>I think i agree with MW. But there are more important condiderations.
I reckon that all wages shood be fixed (like in germany in 1935).

Another way of looking at it iz that there shood be a minimum wage but that it shood be fixed for ever.
Then az most prices mostly kum down over time the minimum wage would in effekt inkreec. Whereaz at prezent i think that in effekt the minimum wage stays nearnuff fixed.
mac.

LWW
02-20-2012, 04:16 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DiabloViejo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As governor of MA, Mitt Romney supported minimum wage laws and even wanted them tied to an annual cost of living adjustment (COLA). Imagine that. </div></div>

And?

Qtec
02-20-2012, 05:46 AM
and.......it makes him a Democrat!!!!!!!!! LOL

Q

LWW
02-20-2012, 06:17 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Qtec</div><div class="ubbcode-body">and.......it makes him a Democrat!!!!!!!!! LOL

Q </div></div>

Pretty much ... yet you hate him because he doesn't wear the golden (D) on the ballot.

Don't you feel better after confessing.

LWW
02-20-2012, 06:17 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bump for the leftists to explain how putting millions of low wage earners on the unemployment rolls kept them from being exploited? </div></div>

Still waiting?