PDA

View Full Version : Sarah Ellerby

jjinfla
06-29-2007, 05:44 PM
Sarah is a top seeded pro who is also doing well in the tournament. In fact, I pick her to win it all this time. If she plays the way she knows she can then we will see her in the finals.

Jake

Rich R.
06-29-2007, 06:01 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jjinfla:</font><hr> Sarah is a top seeded pro who is also doing well in the tournament. <hr /></blockquote>
If the WPBA charts are current, there are a number of top seeded pros doing well in the tournament. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Nothing against Sarah, and I wish her well, but there is still a lot of strong competition.

jjinfla
06-30-2007, 05:27 PM
The final 16 has been posted and Sarah made it there and will be playing Melissa Herndon. That is quite an impressive field that made it to the final 16. Too bad they don't tape all 8 matches.

Jake

Rich R.
06-30-2007, 08:47 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jjinfla:</font><hr> The final 16 has been posted and Sarah made it there and will be playing Melissa Herndon. That is quite an impressive field that made it to the final 16. Too bad they don't tape all 8 matches.<hr /></blockquote>
A current check of the charts shows that Melissa defeated Sarah, 9-7. Seems like it was a good match. I wish I was there. Of course, I wish I was there for all of the matches. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Melissa used to post on this forum, and I don't know if she still lurks, but, if she does, I wish her well for the rest of the tournament. I had the pleasure of meeting her once and she is a very nice young lady, as well as a top notch player.

Also, Gerda Hoffstatter defeated Karen Corr, 9-7, which I would consider an upset.

There are several more interesting matches, yet to be posted.

Sid_Vicious
07-01-2007, 12:44 AM
"Also, Gerda Hoffstatter defeated Karen Corr, 9-7, which I would consider an upset."

Go Gerda! I always liked Gerda's style. Upset?, I don't think so. JMPOT sid

jjinfla
07-01-2007, 05:46 AM
Gerda can beat anyone, anytime. Anyone, that is, except Allison.

She came close this time.

I wonder if they play practice games against each other. How is their school coming along?

Jake

jjinfla
07-01-2007, 05:51 AM
Sarah came in 9th again. That's three 9th place finishes and one 5th place in the last 4 tournaments. She is knocking on the door.

Rich R.
07-01-2007, 05:55 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jjinfla:</font><hr> Gerda can beat anyone, anytime. <hr /></blockquote>
Gerda can definitely beat anyone, at anytime. However, in recent times, she only rarely beats the top ranked players, like Karen. That is the only reason, I considered this win an upset.

At least we will see some different faces on TV and not have another Fisher-Corr final. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

jjinfla
07-01-2007, 06:03 AM
In the last seven tournaments we only had one Fisher/Corr final.

Don't knock it. The public likes to see Fisher and Corr in the finals. They are the draw. They are the two who made the WPBA what it is today.

Look at Golf. Tiger sits out a tournament and the announcers are bemoaning the fact. The tournament is not the same without Tiger. No Tiger? Why watch? That is the fickle public.

By the way. Who won the golf tournament? I didn't watch it.

Jake

Rich R.
07-01-2007, 06:15 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jjinfla:</font><hr> In the last seven tournaments we only had one Fisher/Corr final.
<font color="red">And has been a nice change. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif </font color>

Don't knock it. The public likes to see Fisher and Corr in the finals. They are the draw. They are the two who made the WPBA what it is today.
<font color="red">I don't mean to knock it. The Fisher-Corr rivalry has been great for pool. However, after watching them on almost all of the TV matches, for several years, it is nice to see some of the other fine players of the WPBA. </font color>

Look at Golf. Tiger sits out a tournament and the announcers are bemoaning the fact. The tournament is not the same without Tiger. No Tiger? Why watch? That is the fickle public.

By the way. Who won the golf tournament? I didn't watch it.
<font color="red">Sorry, I don't watch golf and it doesn't bother me when Tiger sits out. </font color> <hr /></blockquote>

HarryDC
07-04-2007, 05:40 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jjinfla:</font><hr> Sarah came in 9th again. That's three 9th place finishes and one 5th place in the last 4 tournaments. She is knocking on the door. <hr /></blockquote>

Jake,

Haven't you read Sarah's forum post on the subject? Sarah is to busy now or in the future to win a classic tour event.

The fact is Sarah will never win a classic tour event because she used pool to get what she wants now pool has very little meaning for her.

Bet you a $100 Sarah never wins a classic tour event as long as I live Jake. The WPBA players will all have to go in the tank for Sarah to win a classic tour event. (PBS)

Happy 4th of July Jake!

Snapshot9
07-04-2007, 05:55 AM
The problem comes in for many players that play great not in winning a tough match, but being able to sustain that excellence over 5-8 matches during a tournament. It is so easy to have a bad match happen.

I like Gerda too, but she has trouble keeping herself at a top level all the way through a tournament. Same goes for Helena. It was that way for Karen too, but she got over the hump, while many more women players are still fighting it.
This tends to make many of the women players a contender, but not a favorite. Kim Shaw is fighting to make a name for herself over here.

Jasmin, to me, looks like Allison's replacement in training.

Rich R.
07-04-2007, 06:39 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote HarryDC:</font><hr> Haven't you read Sarah's forum post on the subject? Sarah is to busy now or in the future to win a classic tour event.

The fact is Sarah will never win a classic tour event because she used pool to get what she wants now pool has very little meaning for her.

Bet you a $100 Sarah never wins a classic tour event as long as I live Jake. The WPBA players will all have to go in the tank for Sarah to win a classic tour event. (PBS)
<hr /></blockquote>
It must be nice to be so perfect, to judge others, the way you always do. Sometimes, life is not as black and white, as you would make it out to be.

I have no idea what Sarah said on her own forum, but she has stated, on another internet forum, that her mother is going through some tough medical problems. I don't think her mind is totally on her game right now. In fact, I suspect is it far down the list of priorities, compared to her mother's health.

I don't know if Sarah will ever win a classic tour event, but I don't think you should write her off, based on her recent performance.

jjinfla
07-04-2007, 09:54 AM
Hi Harry,

Anyone who can beat Ray Martin and scare the begeesus out of Tommy Kennedy is okay in my book. She did that.

I agree with you Harry that Sarah is a business woman first and a pool player second. It may not be the way she wants it, or the way her fans want it, but that is the way life dictates she must do it in order to be successful.

She has to juggle both events. Without being a great pool player her business falters. Without having a good business sense pool is useless.

Gerda has the same problem but at least she did get her degree and always will have that piece of paper, and all that it implies, to fall back on.

Allison is a great example of combining the two. She has both the skill and the good business sense to be successful in the game of pool. How many other pool players can claim that?

That is most likely why Allison does not bother with other tournaments. The reward there just is not worth the effort and the risk (of being called a loser and losing top billing) is just too great for her. I am sure that Allison keeps plenty busy with the WPBA, her school, her appearances, her involvement with the APA, to take up a lot of her time.

Sarah will need a little luck to pull off a win at a WPBA tournament, but one never knows. If things go right then it can happen.

No point in giving up yet. After all, I think her goal is a top 6 finish. One step at a time.

Jake