PDA

View Full Version : table felt

johncostanza
06-29-2007, 08:37 PM
Just bought table, had it moved a new felt installed. As ball slow to a stop they seem to wooble. Bad felt? Cheap felt?

tjlmbklr
06-29-2007, 09:51 PM
How much, is it "worsted" cloth or "slow nap"? Is it starting to pill(little fuzzies)? If so it is probably "slow nap" And foremost; is the table slate, level for that matter, 3 piece or 1. If it is 3 then the seems could be put together wrong. I know it's a lot to ask but your question lacked detail.

TJ

johncostanza
06-30-2007, 06:34 AM
TJ, Great quesitons. Thanks for the responce. I know nothing about the cloth. This is my first table and I relied on the Professional table mover. It is a three piece slate 8' table. Is the table level. Not quite. Rolling a ball slowly at one end of the table from side to side, the ball moves towards the side pockets a little as it slows down. Placing a level on the table confirms that this peice of the slate is tilted in that direction. I am going to call the installer and ask him to come back. Thanks again.
JC

tjlmbklr
06-30-2007, 01:35 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote johncostanza:</font><hr> TJ, Great quesitons. Thanks for the responce. I know nothing about the cloth. This is my first table and I relied on the Professional table mover. It is a three piece slate 8' table. Is the table level. Not quite. Rolling a ball slowly at one end of the table from side to side, the ball moves towards the side pockets a little as it slows down. Placing a level on the table confirms that this peice of the slate is tilted in that direction. I am going to call the installer and ask him to come back. Thanks again.
JC <hr /></blockquote>

Good idea, get there asses over and fix it. Make sure they start by leveling the frame first. Then once that is level they shoyld do the the middle section of slate. Make sure they are using a "machinist level" then when they have the middle section where it should be and tightened down they can do the 2 outer sections. They need to make sure the seem is tight and that there is no raised/lowered transistion between the 2(4 actually). Then they need to use a filler like Bees wax or I have heard some use bondo. That has to be smoothe and you shouldn't feel it through the cloth when finished.

Hope this helps

TJ

cushioncrawler
06-30-2007, 05:13 PM
John -- I dont know much about levelling tables, but i think that there can be problems.
Firstly, even a solid timber floor will "slowly" drop, especially in the early dayz, and probably for ever -- mine did, for my little 3by6 table.
Secondly, a timber floor will "quickly" rize or drop az u walk around it -- mine did -- an accurate level might confirm this sort of problem.
Thirdly, even a concrete floor can missbehave in similar wayz. Plus a concrete floor can moov due to seasonal moisture changes -- we had one that actually mooved from day to day in Adelaide last year, this woz for a 12by6 table. madMac.

ras314
06-30-2007, 08:06 PM
Could be the balls also. I don't know how you would check them without a known level and flat surface though.