PDA

View Full Version : U.S.Open / ESPN 92'

Brady_Behrman
02-24-2002, 05:36 PM
Does anyone remember when Tommy Kennedy won the Open against Johny Archer? First of all Tommy, came up to my father at the Trade show in 92' at the trade show. He said "Barry Behrman, Can I play in the Open"? My father was like who is this kid? Anyways, he entered the Open UN-seeded. He beat archer in the finals 9-2on ESPN. People were holding up signs, "Praise the Lord" "Tommys the Greatest" It was like going to a Football game. Tommy was running around the table jumping and laughing. TV loved it! It was truly "Made for TV". Anyways, I was just wanting to see who remebered it, and wanted to see what those who saw the match, thought of it. Grady, Do you remember? Those who havent seen it should talk to Pat Fleming with accustats about getting the vid.

02-24-2002, 05:43 PM
Yea I remember , I've got it on tape. First time I saw it I was like whoa, I didn't know Martin Short was a pool player /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif lol. I also believe he is a true model for all Pro's to follow. If pool had 64 players with the attitude of TK I believe a pro tour would flourish. JMHO

02-24-2002, 05:48 PM
I remember Kennedy winning the Open but I can't recall details. What year was it?

Brady_Behrman
02-24-2002, 05:48 PM
I Agree!

Martin Short..lol

Tommy,Your the Greatest!

Q-guy
02-24-2002, 08:00 PM
I think the score was 9 to 1. That was not the first time Tommy played in your dads tournaments was it? Tommy was well known to every top player and by that time had won dozens of tournaments. Although I don't think he has won any other pro events, he may be one of the winningist players ever.

Brady_Behrman
02-24-2002, 09:13 PM
I believe that was his first year at the Open

Q-guy
02-24-2002, 09:26 PM
If I remember right he went hill hill with Rempy and Parica. He also went hill hill his first match with an unknown. In the final his cueball was all over the place, but he kept getting out. Archer missed some easy shots which gave Tommy an opening. He shot at everything. He shot one long rail bank that had the place on it's feet.

Brady_Behrman
02-24-2002, 11:02 PM
You got it! \
Like I said before, That was "made for TV". There will probally never be such an exciting TV match like that again. Tommy has so mush enthusiasm. People who dont even like pool probally enjoyed watching that match.

AzHousePro
02-24-2002, 11:43 PM
I have that match on tape Brady. It is truly a classic match and probably Tommy's greatest accomplishment as a pool player. He got lucky a couple times but played some great pool nonetheless.

After seeing Johnny lose that one, it was sure nice for him to get his moment in the sun a couple years ago.

Mike

Fred Agnir
02-25-2002, 08:52 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: AzHousePro:</font><hr> After seeing Johnny lose that one, it was sure nice for him to get his moment in the sun a couple years ago. <hr></blockquote>

I agree. Especially after also losing to Buddy Hall in the finals ('91?) on ESPN after Johnny was destined to win, with Buddy winning the last 5 games.

Fred

Brady_Behrman
02-25-2002, 10:14 AM
your right!

02-25-2002, 10:49 AM
Brady, I was there, Cardona set the line on Tommy's matches and I beat Billy (thanks to TKO and the lord) every match. The object balls were as big as Basketballs for TKO, he made a long rail bank on the six ball, and ran out, I think in the first or second game, nothing but net, it gave me goose bumps, Tommy was being watched from above. This was not your normal pool game, it was life unfolding for Tommy with he the deliverer. Archer had no chance, Tommy would always humble himself and so to speak (pickpocket) his opponent with great admiration and excitement about the moment. He kept telling Archer how he could not believe he was actually playing him and what an honor it was. The only other time I have ever had feelings close to that match was Strickland beating Mannino with an 11 package at CJ's first PCA event in Dallas (for the million).
BF

02-25-2002, 11:59 AM
Tommy has the best attitude of all players, IMO. I do remeber him saying "I am in the Finals of the U.S.Open", "I can't belive i am playing Johnny in the Finals" He jumped in the air after he won. After That 6 ball, He was on FIRE!

Tommy is the Greatest.
TK From F,L,A

Brady Behrman