PDA

View Full Version : Jean Balukas

jjinfla
07-01-2007, 05:56 AM
Some of the guys were talking about her yesterday and said something interesting.

They said that she was so good that she just went right through the women players with ease. Then she started playing on the men's pro tour and started beating them so the men rebelled and banned her from playing on their tour.

Men just didn't like getting beat by a woman.

They even mentioned the great Miz as not wanting her on the tour.

Is this just beer talking or is there some fact to it?

Jake

Rich R.
07-01-2007, 06:17 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jjinfla:</font><hr> Some of the guys were talking about her yesterday and said something interesting.

They said that she was so good that she just went right through the women players with ease. Then she started playing on the men's pro tour and started beating them so the men rebelled and banned her from playing on their tour.

Men just didn't like getting beat by a woman.

They even mentioned the great Miz as not wanting her on the tour.

Is this just beer talking or is there some fact to it?

Jake <hr /></blockquote>
From everything that I have read, your friends are pretty accurate.

jjinfla
07-02-2007, 05:11 AM
Now I heard that the Miz would not play Jean for money.

Rich R.
07-02-2007, 07:01 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jjinfla:</font><hr> Now I heard that the Miz would not play Jean for money. <hr /></blockquote>
I don't know anything about that. I have never read anything about Jean's gambling exploits. However, it wouldn't surprise me. Jean was very good and could hold her own with any of the men, of that time.
Also, from what I understand, she still plays pretty well and it wouldn't take her too much to be tournament ready, if someone could talk her into it.

Bob_Jewett
07-02-2007, 01:19 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jjinfla:</font><hr> .... Then she started playing on the men's pro tour and started beating them so the men rebelled and banned her from playing on their tour.
... <hr /></blockquote>
She was playing in open tournaments in the early 80's and beat some notable men pros but did not win any tour stops so far as I recall. At that time Accu-stats was publishing statistics for the pro events, and I think Jean often had one of the highest TPAs.

As I recall, the men did decide something to the effect that if they couldn't enter the women's events, Jean couldn't enter the men's (formerly "open") events. I don't know if they also banned junior players so as to be consistent.

cueball1950
07-02-2007, 09:34 PM
I agree with what Bob has said. ALso after personally speaking to Jean when i attended the last U.S. Open 14.1 held in NYC and held at the Roseland Ballroom, And sponsored by Blatt Billiards (NYC) Jean stated that she would only come out of retirement and play competitive pool if pool made it into the Olympics. Otherwise she has no interest........mike

nAz
07-02-2007, 09:52 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cueball1950:</font><hr> Jean stated that she would only come out of retirement and play competitive pool if pool made it into the Olympics. Otherwise she has no interest........mike <hr /></blockquote>

I speak to her often and that is right on the mark.
from what I understand she beat "the Miz" quite a few times but I think he was still better 14.1 player then she was. also they were good friends and she learned a lot from him.

as for the men banning her i think there is some truth to that, you know she has told me that out of all the men players and females too Earl was the only one who ever really stood up for her.

Hm think I'll interview her and put it up Youtube might be kinda fun.

jjinfla
07-03-2007, 05:45 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nAz:</font><hr>
Hm think I'll interview her and put it up Youtube might be kinda fun. <hr /></blockquote>

That would be great!

Jake

HarryDC
07-03-2007, 06:10 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cueball1950:</font><hr> I agree with what Bob has said. ALso after personally speaking to Jean when i attended the last U.S. Open 14.1 held in NYC and held at the Roseland Ballroom, And sponsored by Blatt Billiards (NYC) Jean stated that she would only come out of retirement and play competitive pool if pool made it into the Olympics. Otherwise she has no interest........mike <hr /></blockquote>

CueBall,

The Olympics????? The WPA reports to the IOC, the BCA reports to the WPA, since John Lewis left the BCA there
has been no mention of the Olympics and pool.

The last time I heard anything about the Olympics Jeanette Lee had won the gold medal at the World Games but the IOC rejected pool as an Olympic Game because very few people can watch pool at one time.

Pool is dead as an Olympic Game and with no John Lewis or anyone else promoting pool as an Olympic Game we will never get to see Jean play unless we go to her poolroom and watch her play in the Thursday tournaments she and her brother put on. Pool is dead!

Brian in VA
07-03-2007, 08:54 AM
Actually HarryDC, the ACS is working diligently to get cue sports into the Olympics. John Lewis is the Executive Director. While many have given up on pool as an Olympic sport, others haven't.

Brian in VA

07-03-2007, 09:00 AM
Jean Balukas' highest finish when competing against the men was a 9th-place tie. It's true she went through her female competition like water through shampoo, but in that era, that wasn't much of a claim. As long as the game was 14.1, every other woman was playing for second place, and even after they switched to 9-ball, she had won 16 consecutive women's tournaments at the point at which she retired. The men definitely did NOT want her competing with them at first, but grudgingly relented and granted her the same sort of exemption that golf granted Mildred (Babe) Didrikson decades before. IMO she's quite easily the best woman player of all time. GF

TennesseeJoe
07-03-2007, 02:46 PM
The first time I saw Jean play was in Cleveland and she ran the first 3 racks of 9 ball and of course easily won the tournament. It was my understanding that after she played in the men's(open) tournaments, she was barred from the womens' tournaments. May be just a rumor.

cueball1950
07-03-2007, 03:38 PM
Harry.... i have no idea of the personal goings on of who is or who is not promoting the sport to get it into the Olympics. I can only relate what Jean had told me herself. This was not 2nd hand knowledge. So unless pool does make it into the Olympics we will never see her compete competeively )....again.........mike

HarryDC
07-03-2007, 08:54 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Brian in VA:</font><hr> Actually HarryDC, the ACS is working diligently to get cue sports into the Olympics. John Lewis is the Executive Director. While many have given up on pool as an Olympic sport, others haven't.

Brian in VA <hr /></blockquote>

Brian

I have no idea what the ACS is? Is it another cowboy pool league or something? Unless the ACS has the sanction of the BCA, WPA and IOC nothing will ever be done as far as pool becoming an Olympic Sport.

The task requires very large sums of kick back money to put in the IOC board members bank accounts.

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c294/Gremlin711/MONEY_002.jpg

So far the American pool industry has show no such interest
in spending the kind of money required to have pool nominated as an Olympic Sport. Hell, they don't even spend
enough money on pool to have it pay the players to play it.
The majority of American Pro pool players live below the U. S. Government poverty line. I hold no hope for pool to ever become an Olympic Game.

Brian in VA
07-05-2007, 08:50 AM
Try this link.

www.americancuesports.org (http://www.americancuesports.org) and you can learn all you want.

I'm reminded of a saying. "The person who says it can not be done should not be telling the person who is doing it."

Brian in VA

HarryDC
07-05-2007, 12:49 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Brian in VA:</font><hr> Try this link.

www.americancuesports.org (http://www.americancuesports.org) and you can learn all you want.

I'm reminded of a saying. "The person who says it can not be done should not be telling the person who is doing it."

Brian,

I checked out the site, very nice, but there is nothing on it except the same old lip service paid out by every cowboy pool league. Just like the carnival barkers selling the smoke and mirrors for the charlatans of pool. A lot of the charlatans are right here on this forum or are in BD Magazine.

In future I suggest you save your pearls of wisdom for the uneducated! Pool has so much criminal activity associated with it that the IOC will have people counting the doorknobs when you enter the committee room and leave. You cowboys have to clean up your act and have one standard rule system.

I will believe it when it is announced that pool is an Olympic Sport! I wonít be holding my breath, thatís for sure.

Brian in VA
07-05-2007, 01:32 PM
Harry,

Gosh, thanks for setting me straight. All the time I've been around this sport I never knew pool was full of charlatans. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

I figured pool would be a natural for the IOC since they appear to be one of the most corrupt organizations I've ever seen. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif Hard to believe in anything when baseball is removed from the games.

Brian in Va

jjinfla
07-05-2007, 02:08 PM
The olympics is basically all pros now. Jim Thorpe is probably rolling over in his grave.

Brian in VA
07-05-2007, 02:22 PM
He and Avery Brundage! /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Harold Acosta
07-11-2007, 10:25 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote HarryDC:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Brian in VA:</font><hr> Try this link.

Brian,

I checked out the site, very nice, but there is nothing on it except the same old lip service paid out by every cowboy pool league. Just like the carnival barkers selling the smoke and mirrors for the charlatans of pool. A lot of the charlatans are right here on this forum or are in BD Magazine.

In future I suggest you save your pearls of wisdom for the uneducated! Pool has so much criminal activity associated with it that the IOC will have people counting the doorknobs when you enter the committee room and leave. You cowboys have to clean up your act and have one standard rule system.

I will believe it when it is announced that pool is an Olympic Sport! I wonít be holding my breath, thatís for sure.
<hr /></blockquote>

Harry DC: Billiards is a recognized Olympic Sport; however, it has not been included in the Olympic Program.

Some countries have been actively promoting the inclusion of "Billiards" into their regional pre-olympic games, for example the Panamerican Games. The inclusion in the World Games was the first step.

Many countries have also obtained recognition from their own "Olympic Committees" which has been presented to the IOC.

Harold Acosta - President
Puerto Rican Billiard Federation

jjinfla
07-12-2007, 06:31 AM
What kind of format are they promoting?

Which game? How many players from each Country would be allowed to compete?

Jake

HarryDC
07-12-2007, 06:45 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Harold Acosta:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote HarryDC:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Brian in VA:</font><hr> Try this link.

Brian,

<hr /></blockquote>

Harry DC: Billiards is a recognized Olympic Sport; however, it has not been included in the Olympic Program.

Some countries have been actively promoting the inclusion of "Billiards" into their regional pre-olympic games, for example the Panamerican Games. The inclusion in the World Games was the first step.

Many countries have also obtained recognition from their own "Olympic Committees" which has been presented to the IOC.

Harold Acosta - President
Puerto Rican Billiard Federation

<hr /></blockquote>

Hey H

Thanks for your response and I understand exactly what you are saying. The IOC hasn't included pool because of low spectator turn outs for one reason.

The IOC tends to lean toward games which a high number of spectatos can watch. As for pool being a sport that is open for debate. In the US pool is nothing more than a crooked game played on tricked out tables with nonstandard pockets
to favor the gamblers or top pros. Example the pocket sizes
are a lot smaller than the WPA rule standard.

Amateurs that play in open tournaments don't have an equal chance to win because of the nonstandard pocket size. I have heard all the excuses, nothing but crooks trying to steal, from the people who pay the most to play in the so called open tournaments.

Like I said the IOC will put pool in the Olympics when the pool industry pays enough to have the very best.

Bob_Jewett
07-12-2007, 01:12 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jjinfla:</font><hr> What kind of format are they promoting?

Which game? How many players from each Country would be allowed to compete?

Jake
<hr /></blockquote>
In the World Games (maybe you can still find results from the last two) I think the format is snooker, men's nine ball, women's nine ball and three cushion. I believe that each field is limited to a total of 16 players. The player selection is up to world governing bodies of each discipline: the WPBSA/IBSF, the WPA and the UMB respectively. In general, those bodies will offer spots based on rankings and the interest of having a lot of countries represented.

The Asian Games, which also include cue sports, are organized differently. I think the Commonwealth Games may have a cue sports event but I'm not sure.

A major problem with getting into the Olympic Summer Games is that the total number of athletes has grown to over 10,000. Add to this the coaches and officials, and it is a serious logistical problem. The IOC also wants to see roughly equal representation for men and women.

Bob_Jewett
07-12-2007, 01:23 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Bob_Jewett:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote jjinfla:</font><hr> What kind of format are they promoting?
<hr /></blockquote>
In the World Games (maybe you can still find results from the last two) I think the format is snooker, men's nine ball, women's nine ball and three cushion. ... <hr /></blockquote>
I see in the WC 14.1 press info that Jasmin Ouschan won the 2005 women's event at the World Games in Duisburg. I had forgotten about that. Jeanette Lee won the time before (2001) in Akita, Japan.

HarryDC
07-12-2007, 07:50 PM
Quote; Bob Jewett

-----------------------------------------------------------

A major problem with getting into the Olympic Summer Games is that the total number of athletes has grown to over 10,000. Add to this the coaches and officials, and it is a serious logistical problem. The IOC also wants to see roughly equal representation for men and women.

Bob Jewett

------------------------------------------------------------

Bob

I have heard that specious excuse before. Pool is played indoors. It can be played in summer or winter any old time.
The 2001 World games played pool indoors at the beach.

Rich R.
07-12-2007, 08:52 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote HarryDC:</font><hr> Quote; Bob Jewett

-----------------------------------------------------------

Bob Jewett

------------------------------------------------------------

Bob

I have heard that specious excuse before. Pool is played indoors. It can be played in summer or winter any old time.
The 2001 World games played pool indoors at the beach.

<hr /></blockquote>
This is one of the rare occassions I am forced to agree with Harry. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Bob, please explain why pool and billiards would be forced to be played in the Summer Games. There is no good reason why pool and billiards could not be included in the Winter Games.

On the level of the amateur player, many give up pool for the summer. Many leagues suspend competition for the summer. Pool and billiards would attract a larger audience, in the winter, when the amateur players are actually playing.

On a pro level, I don't think the players care when they play and most play year round.

Tom_In_Cincy
07-13-2007, 12:26 PM
I'm pretty sure the IOC is still trimming the fat off their collective asses and trying to build up the attendance figures. Even the USA sport of Baseball has been trimmed.
The World games have proven that Billiards does not draw the $$$$ needed to include it in the Olymics.

10,000 ppl (players, coachs and trainers) is still a logistic nightmare for any global event.

Deeman3
07-13-2007, 12:57 PM
I don't think we need pool to drag down the prestige of our fine game. We are perfectly capable of that on our own. Let's keep the Olympics to the sports that really need the steroids.