PDA

View Full Version : POOL ETTIQUETTE

bataisbest
07-04-2007, 12:53 PM
I was playing 9- ball against one of the local guys at the poolhall the other night and during the course of play, I happened to get lucky on a few shots where the object ball was not pocketed.I acknowledged to my opponent each time by raising my hand as if to say , I'm sorry, I was'nt trying to do that" I thought that this was considered proper pool ettiquette. He seemed to become annoyed at me at one point he said, " I know, that was slop!" We were'nt gambling or anything, just friendly competition. Should I not acknowledge when I do something like this in the future? I saw a match on t.v the other day where the same thing occured against Shane Van Boening where he was playing Dennis Orcollo. Orcollo acknowledged when he got a lucky roll. Does anybody else feel it is proper to acknowledge when you get an unintended lucky shot or do you just play on as if nothing happened?

sack316
07-04-2007, 02:14 PM
I see no problem in doing that.

Personally I make it all into a joke. Sometimes I'll just yell "Fancy!" and raise my pinky finger, other times I'll use the old "that was the only way to get shape!".

Sack

bradb
07-04-2007, 11:09 PM
Don't make to big a deal out of it, make a slight acknowlegement and play on, its part of the game, you can bet your opponent would take it.

Its bad form for him to get snotty... he's trying to rile you in return. It says you got him and thats to your advantage.

okinawa77
07-09-2007, 06:05 PM
There are a lot of characters in the world of pool/billiards. Experience will teach you to deal with the more abrasive ones. When opponents make comments or movements to distract you, that is called sharking. Because they are trying to throw you off your game. Even if he just made the comment because he wanted to cry, think of it as his way of trying to beat you. See it as a challenge that you must overcome, not as a personal insult. When I get a lucky roll, I just have a sh-grin or quiet laugh to myself. I take a pause to collect myself. So, I don't miss the next shot. It's the same scenario as making an incredibly difficult shot, then missing the next simple (99% accuracy) shot. You have to take a moment to collect yourself. Take a walk around the table (to make it look like you are planning a run..or something).

Just remember, when you are at the table, you own it.

The way I see it, as long as I am shooting, he can talk until his/her teeth fall out.

ceebee
07-09-2007, 06:53 PM
POOL ETIQUETTE is a funny situation, because the "Game of POOl" has that strange ability to raise one's level of understanding, patience and or forced acceptance of the "Pool God's Interference", a couple of notches too high.

With the slightest of ease, Competitor A can easily have Competitor B "playing over their head" or "chewing on their Cue", depending on the course of events. Or vice a versa...

I would suggest that all friends just play friendly & keep their "goading remarks" at a low level, so the friendship can go on to live another day.

This MODUS OPERANDUS (time shots, kiss shots, 14 rails double combination kick ins, enhanced by BRAGGING) is how a "GrandStander" can seemingly live another day or "die another day".

KellyStick
07-10-2007, 11:48 AM
THis is a bit unrelated other than perhaps to give the other guys side of the story. Though whiners are just that. I'm not trying to make excuses for them, or me in this case.

I'm an APA 6 and I was playing a three who shot like a real 3. So I have to win 5 and he has to get 2. On game four I struggling as all through that game it seemed as if his luck was unstoppable. Every shot he missed left me snookered or busted up all my planning work or both. It was obvious this was not on purpose but it was nevertheless a littel frustrating. I had a lot of difficulty getting any sort of shot and my personal luck had also abandoned me. Yeah, wipe the tears from your eyes. Likely I let emotion hurt me a bit as well. So he wins it with two good shots.

So now I need two more games. I won the next two games but they were the most mentally draining two games I had ever played. The breaks left everything clumped up. Nearly all his shots left me snookered or re-clumped what I had just unclumped. I have to admit I reacted and showed my frustration. The other team was hurrahing his skill ful leaves (luck) and that just made it worse. I kept my cool mostly but felt more like screaming "This has to end soon!!!". It did. So I guess there are some lessons in there. I apologize to the pool etiquette gods. I didn't do anything outrageous like yell at my opponent or blame him but it was obvious I'm sure that my frustration was a bit high. So I guess enjoy it when it goes your way and be patient and give it a chance to end when it doesn't.

People often say to me "I'd rather be lucky than good". I always repsond "I'd rather be lucky AND good cuz then you can't beat me".

okinawa77
07-10-2007, 12:22 PM
I am an SL7, and I understand the frustration of playing a 5-2 race. In my area, the only threats I have are under rated skill level players and strong SL7s. But I look at it from a different perspective. The strong SL7s and under rated SL players aren't "threats". They are "challenges". Challenges are what will help you step up your game and get better. When 2 strong SL7s play against each other, it is usually a game of who can break and run the most games consecutively. I don't like this type of play. Mainly because it is just a matter of pocket ball with shape on the next shot. Blah,Blah. It gets boring, fast. I play 8 ball like chess. I will shoot my shots with the intent of covering pockets with my balls and leaving the cue ball safe. It is more challenging and really makes you use your brain. And it challenges your opponent to perform great shots to recover. When I am playing league play, I want to get my money's worth. Watching an SL7 shoot small angle shots and winning 5 "uneventful" games in row in a short amount of time, is a waste of both of our time and money. I would rather pose difficult shots for my opponents, and watch intently to see how they overcome it.

As they say in "Bah-Tone", Let the Good Times Roll!