PDA

View Full Version : Earl Strickland's Gloves

cjt08046
07-05-2007, 01:46 PM
I was watching ESPN2 yesterday and noticed that Earl Strickland not only wears a shooting glove on his bridge hand, he also wears a chunkier looking glove on his grip hand. What kind of glove is the chunky one? Is it actually made for pool or is it a glove from some other sport that he just ported over? Is it supposed to give him a better grip on the cue? I ask because I haven't noticed any of the other pros sporting such a glove.

bsmutz
07-05-2007, 04:44 PM
I think I read over on AZ Billiards that it was weighted. Theory would possibly be that a more forceful stroke could be delivered?

Rich R.
07-05-2007, 07:35 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cjt08046:</font><hr> I was watching ESPN2 yesterday and noticed that Earl Strickland not only wears a shooting glove on his bridge hand, he also wears a chunkier looking glove on his grip hand. What kind of glove is the chunky one? Is it actually made for pool or is it a glove from some other sport that he just ported over? Is it supposed to give him a better grip on the cue? I ask because I haven't noticed any of the other pros sporting such a glove. <hr /></blockquote>IIRC, the glove was from another sport, possibly hockey. It is hard to figure out what Earl is trying to do, when he shows up with something new. You have to ask Earl, and I'm not sure he can answer. He has shown up with gloves, finger extensions, some kind of material wrapped around the butt of his cue, etc.

jjinfla
07-06-2007, 06:44 AM
You didn't notice the arm weight that he had strapped onto his bicep? Maybe he wasn't wearing it then but did have it once when I was watching him and he said it was to help keep his arm down on the table. Ha Ha Ha Ha

cjt08046
07-06-2007, 07:48 AM
Wow, an arm weight too? I must have missed it.

Stones
07-07-2007, 12:12 AM
When I was at the BCA Nationals at the Riv last May, I was outside smoking a cigarette and happened to look down the side of the building. Here comes a guy with 2 cases over his shoulder and is carrying another 2 cues in his hand.

As he got closer, I realized it's Earl. It's 90 degrees out and he has on a sweatshirt and what appears to be hockey gloves on both hands.

I kept waiting for the theme song to the Twilight Zone to start playing. There's no figuring with this guy!

Stones

jjinfla
07-07-2007, 06:44 AM
When he gets into one of his moods it is just better to go and watch someone else play. But when he is in stroke he is a pure joy to watch. Everything is so fluid and smooth.

Jake

Ace
07-07-2007, 02:49 PM
Has nobody ever noticed his yellow shooting range glasses? He said they are supposed to cut down on the shine of the balls. The wrap on the butt of his cue is for tennis rackets and is supposed to be for added weight and more for a thicker grip.

Cydpkt
07-07-2007, 09:30 PM
What brand of cue is he shooting with since the whole Cuetec incident?

Caromsoft
07-08-2007, 01:44 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cydpkt:</font><hr> What brand of cue is he shooting with since the whole Cuetec incident? <hr /></blockquote>According to the reports over on AZBilliards it is a Mike Gulyassy cue with a specially modified OB-1 shaft.

cushioncrawler
07-08-2007, 06:31 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bsmutz:</font><hr> I think I read over on AZ Billiards that it was weighted. Theory would possibly be that a more forceful stroke could be delivered?<hr /></blockquote>I intend to try a velcro (??) weighted arm band this year, for english billiards. Some years back i uzed a 32oz cue, and then a 28oz cue, and it woz ok. This year i will uze an 18.5oz cue and/or a 20.6oz cue. An 8oz arm band might give me some of the advantages of uzing a 28oz cue.

However, a heavy glove would take power/force etc from a shot, it wouldnt add power. madMac.

Jal
07-09-2007, 01:19 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cushioncrawler:</font><hr>...An 8oz arm band might give me some of the advantages of uzing a 28oz cue.<hr /></blockquote>Mac, it's not obvious how this would help? Could you elaborate?

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cushioncrawler:</font><hr>However, a heavy glove would take power/force etc from a shot, it wouldnt add power. madMac. <hr /></blockquote>I'll second that.

I'm curious as to how how much tip offset were you able to successfully use with your heavy cues? Could you actually go out to near .5R? I ask because theory suggests that it should be somewhat limited by the reduced separation speed between the ball and tip (ie, making double hits more likely).

Jim

Wity
07-09-2007, 03:44 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cushioncrawler:</font><hr> I intend to try a velcro (??) weighted arm band this year, for english billiards. Some years back i uzed a 32oz cue, and then a 28oz cue, and it woz ok. This year i will uze an 18.5oz cue and/or a 20.6oz cue. An 8oz arm band might give me some of the advantages of uzing a 28oz cue.

However, a heavy glove would take power/force etc from a shot, it wouldnt add power. madMac. <hr /></blockquote>

A 32ounce cue for English Billiards !!!! kin ell Cush, do you use a sledgehammer to hit a carpet tack?

English Billiards like English Pool is more than snooker and far more so than American Pool about feel and touch. Really heavy cues and stupid weights on your arm can only destroy ones touch.

Whacko Jacko gloves are pointless too all they achieve is to make you look like a pratt.

Buy a towel you sweaty buggers.:P

cushioncrawler
07-09-2007, 06:24 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Jal:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote cushioncrawler:</font><hr>...An 8oz arm band might give me some of the advantages of uzing a 28oz cue.<hr /></blockquote>Mac, it's not obvious how this would help? Could you elaborate?<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cushioncrawler:</font><hr>However, a heavy glove would take power/force etc from a shot, it wouldnt add power. madMac.<hr /></blockquote>I'll second that. I'm curious as to how how much tip offset were you able to successfully use with your heavy cues? Could you actually go out to near .5R? I ask because theory suggests that it should be somewhat limited by the reduced separation speed between the ball and tip (ie, making double hits more likely). Jim <hr /></blockquote>Jim -- Its a funny thing. I bort a one-piece dufferin maple cue for $32 in about 1985 when i made a kumback, wt = 18oz. At one time i drilled it out and uzed it az a 15oz cue. I found that a 15oz cue woz very good for touch. Years later i filled it with lead, and made it 32oz. I found that 32oz woz very good for touch (english billiards and 12' table and 2-1/16" balls here). Soon some of the lead came out and i ended up playing the rest of the season with wt = about 28oz, lovely for touch.

I dont remember anything about having any special trouble (or enjoying any special benefits) with uzing extreme english. I suppoze that i had to make the uzual sorts of compensations with aim etc, like with any peculiar cue -- karnt remember actually.

Sure, i lost power (with 32oz and 28oz), ie for long distance forcers etc, koz of the wt. I think that 18oz might represent an optimum for a 12' table at least (for me at least), even tho theory might suggest something less than 18oz.

But, this week, i have started praktis for the new billiards season, and az uzual i have found that my cueing etc iz very shaky and erratic, and my thorts went back to some old theoryz of mine re having a heavy velcro bracelette to get rid of the shaky stuff, and to help feel and accuracy and consistency. I woz surprized to find that this thread touches on this sort of thinking. But of course one would havta take the glove (bracelette) off if one wanted to uze power. Az i say, i think a heavy bracelette could help both feel and accuracy, especially early in the season. But the heavyr cues felt much better (see later), so this little experiment will havta weight a while (pun intended).

A couple of days ago i added a couple of oz to my 2 best cues to lift the wts to 18.5oz and 20.6oz, and i uzed em today, and they felt great, i shood have done it long ago. madMac.

cushioncrawler
07-09-2007, 06:32 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wity:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote cushioncrawler:</font><hr> I intend to try a velcro (??) weighted arm band this year, for english billiards. Some years back i uzed a 32oz cue, and then a 28oz cue, and it woz ok. This year i will uze an 18.5oz cue and/or a 20.6oz cue. An 8oz arm band might give me some of the advantages of uzing a 28oz cue. However, a heavy glove would take power/force etc from a shot, it wouldnt add power. madMac. <hr /></blockquote>A 32ounce cue for English Billiards !!!! kin ell Cush, do you use a sledgehammer to hit a carpet tack? English Billiards like English Pool is more than snooker and far more so than American Pool about feel and touch. Really heavy cues and stupid weights on your arm can only destroy ones touch. Whacko Jacko gloves are pointless too all they achieve is to make you look like a pratt. Buy a towel you sweaty buggers.:P <hr /></blockquote>Wity -- English billiards sure iz all about feel'n'touch. But, this remindz me about Arnie's book about putting, where he sez that on fast greens u need to uze a heavy putter, and i agree. Funny thing, the editors got to Arnie'z book, and now the later editions dont have Arnie's original statement, a statement that obviously came from hiz heart, untill he woz "corrected" by idiots. I remember that Clark McConachy (a billiards God) uzed a 32oz cue koz he had Parkinsons, the heavy cue helped hiz shakes. In effect, all of us mere mortals have got a case of mini-Parkinsons. madMac.

Wity
07-09-2007, 08:59 AM
Well if you believe it works better for you then it will I suppose, but it's an extreme weight and no doubt very few would be comfortable with it.

Wity
07-10-2007, 07:21 AM
I prefer the Werbenick amber necktar solution to a case of the wobbles myself /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

cushioncrawler
07-10-2007, 05:53 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wity:</font><hr> I prefer the Werbenick amber necktar solution to a case of the wobbles myself /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif<hr /></blockquote>Yes -- But big Werby'z pint of amber iz/woz sort of hiz verzion of a 16oz bracelette i suppoze. I will make a velcro-inertia-bracelette closer to Xmas and i will report back. Its not so much to help "touch" (but it might), its to help get an accurate and consistent "line". madMac.