PDA

View Full Version : any tips?

Blaise90
07-06-2007, 01:09 AM
Hello, Im new here, and would like to first of all introduce myself. My name is Blaise, and i am 15 years old. Im not necisarily new to pool, but i am not exactly a pro either. I think that i could get much better, but my practice i limited, seeing as all i have to practice on is a 7ft MDF table that is in bad shape(rips in felt, balls pop out of pockets etc.)I cannot go into pool halls, and i cannot go into bars, so those things really arent an option for me. There is one resturaunt, were many of my friends hang out that has a pool table, so i do often play them for some money, but thats about all the competition that i have been in. so, to make an already long story a little bit shorter, do you guys have any tips for me?

pooltchr
07-06-2007, 05:13 AM
Practice on a bad table is still better than no practice at all.
Have you checked for any recreation centers that might have a pool table. Bowling alleys often have tables, and are open to all ages. Maybe the local YMCA.
While you are limited in your choices at your age, there are still options.
If you can find a good instructor, they can give you drills to work on that you can do on any table. The SPF family of instructors teach the "Mother Drills" that will do wonders for your game.
Stick with it. It sounds like you are on your way to becomming quite a player.
And welcome to the forum!
Steve

Cydpkt
07-07-2007, 09:25 PM
Some college or universities have rec centers that might allow you to play in them. They normally have decent equipment and may have an instructor who is willing to take you under their wing. You might also record pool on TV then watch how people get shape on their next shot. Pausing before each shot will allow you to see the not only the english used but how they reached position for their next shot. There are good shooters and hard shooters but there aren't any good hard shooters.

herkemeyer
07-10-2007, 04:35 AM
How suportive are your parents? I know that a lot of kids I know were able to get into the pool halls and also various tournements if they were accompanied by their parents. If your ultimate goal is to improve your game losing "cool" points by hanging out with a parent should be a very minor issue.

KellyStick
07-10-2007, 11:29 AM
Make friends with someone else your age that has a table at the house. play and learn together. I had a similar table when I was a kid. It was 8 foot I think and lots of hand screws underneath to attempt to get some sort of level out of the wood. Some of the rales were duct taped. The rails themselves were dead. Our cue sticks were lousy but I did not know any better. Not sure if we even had chalk. What you will learn by shooting on such a table could be a tremendous foundation from which to build from. Take notice of you cue tips. Get familiar with use of chalk and drawing the ball if you haven't already. Get some books at the library. You probably won't be able to learn a whole lot about bank shots since I suspect your rails are marginal. You can probably fix your pockets so they don't drop balls. You might even be able to buy a decent $50 stick or so with a good tip that you don't let sit out to be abused by the neighborhood. This would be your first stick that you lean how to take care of. There are small tools that players use to scuff and or shape their tip. Learn about tip maintenance. Get some good Master chalk or other brand but Master seems to be a sort of standard. Vacuum the table on occasion or brush it clean. When friends come over teach them to repsect the playing surface and not put drinks on or near the table. You might try to get a good set of used balls if your are beat up, chipped or are perhaps of low quality. These are just some options. None are absolutely necessary but some of them might help you make the best of what you have or improve slightly with a small amount of money.

okinawa77
07-10-2007, 11:53 AM
You said you practice on a 7ft table...is it your table?
One suggestion I have is to browse www.craigslist.com (http://www.craigslist.com) in your area. Sometimes, when people are moving or upgrade their existing pool tables, you can find some decent tables for free. It just costs time and money to move the table. I strongly suggest finding an 8ft table because a 7ft table's rails play differently. Having experience on all different kinds tables, is good experience.

1Time
07-17-2007, 03:58 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Blaise90:</font><hr> Hello, Im new here, and would like to first of all introduce myself. My name is Blaise, and i am 15 years old. Im not necisarily new to pool, but i am not exactly a pro either. I think that i could get much better, but my practice i limited, seeing as all i have to practice on is a 7ft MDF table that is in bad shape(rips in felt, balls pop out of pockets etc.)I cannot go into pool halls, and i cannot go into bars, so those things really arent an option for me. There is one resturaunt, were many of my friends hang out that has a pool table, so i do often play them for some money, but thats about all the competition that i have been in. so, to make an already long story a little bit shorter, do you guys have any tips for me? <hr /></blockquote>

Blaise90,

Some tips for you:
1. Stop gambling and playing pool.
2. Go to a Church at least once each week and get new friends there.
3. Focus on getting your education and a better social life.
4. After you're done getting educated, and have been on a job and married for a year, post back here for tips on how to proceed with your pool game.

randyg
07-17-2007, 02:14 PM
Which Holiday Inn? I need some answers....randyg

1Time
07-17-2007, 02:37 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote randyg:</font><hr> Which Holiday Inn? I need some answers....randyg <hr /></blockquote>

This is Blaise90's thread and he's asked for some tips. I prefer we respect him for asking by not going off topic. Why not start your own thread?

Jackson123r
07-19-2007, 04:28 AM
Post deleted by ccboard_admin

Snapshot9
07-19-2007, 06:20 AM
1) Learn to control the cue ball.
2) Learn to bank and kick.

Blaise90
07-22-2007, 10:08 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 1Time:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Blaise90:</font><hr> Hello, Im new here, and would like to first of all introduce myself. My name is Blaise, and i am 15 years old. Im not necisarily new to pool, but i am not exactly a pro either. I think that i could get much better, but my practice i limited, seeing as all i have to practice on is a 7ft MDF table that is in bad shape(rips in felt, balls pop out of pockets etc.)I cannot go into pool halls, and i cannot go into bars, so those things really arent an option for me. There is one resturaunt, were many of my friends hang out that has a pool table, so i do often play them for some money, but thats about all the competition that i have been in. so, to make an already long story a little bit shorter, do you guys have any tips for me? <hr /></blockquote>

Blaise90,

Some tips for you:
1. Stop gambling and playing pool.
2. Go to a Church at least once each week and get new friends there.
3. Focus on getting your education and a better social life.
4. After you're done getting educated, and have been on a job and married for a year, post back here for tips on how to proceed with your pool game. <hr /></blockquote>

uhh what did i to get get you mad?, i was just asking for some tips.

replys to your tips:

1:i see your really trying to help this sport become greater by getting new, younger people involved.

2:My personal, and religous life is none of your buisness, and i am just fine with the friends i have, thank you.

3. the game of pool is very eucational, and you act like i will automaticly fail school if I play. You have no clue who i am, so dont tell me to get a better social life, that was very insulting.

4: i want to learn how to play now, is this a crime?

by the way "1time" thaks for the nice warm welcome you have givin me for my first post ever here on this forum. think about the fact that you just made an inoccent 15 year old kid feel like crap. Do you still feel good about yourself?

canadan
07-23-2007, 12:05 AM
hahaha finish school get a job get married. lol. this guys 15 and lissins to bob marly. come on hes a old 15 year old. most 15 year olds around here are ripping off car stareos and stealing cars. This GUY wants to learn pool. I'd look in a phone book and call around there my just be a hall the lets you in. Now that we have a smoking ban here miners are alowed in all pool halls. There are some very good kids running tables but lack exp.
And if you going to go to church once a week try to make it during the week. most tourny are on the weekends..
lol keep playing where every you can. maybe get a job and see if your family will go halfers with you to repair the table.

1Time
07-23-2007, 02:07 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Blaise90:</font><hr>

replys to your tips:

1:i see your really trying to help this sport become greater by getting new, younger people involved.

2:My personal, and religous life is none of your buisness, and i am just fine with the friends i have, thank you.

3. the game of pool is very eucational, and you act like i will automaticly fail school if I play. You have no clue who i am, so dont tell me to get a better social life, that was very insulting.

by the way "1time" thaks for the nice warm welcome you have givin me for my first post ever here on this forum. think about the fact that you just made an inoccent 15 year old kid feel like crap. Do you still feel good about yourself? <hr /></blockquote>

Blaise90,

Wow! Had I any idea my tips would have offended you, I certainly would not have posted them. Apparently the moderator of this forum, ccboard_admin, also did not think this likely (or my post would have been deleted). Well I guess that just goes to show you never can tell what people will find offensive. Actually, I pretty much thought you would reply with something like, "Thanks 1Time and everyone who took the time to reply. Now those are some tips I can use to make a positive difference in my life and better enjoy the game of pool and this forum. I will post back at a later date to let you know how things turned out and ask for tips on how to proceed with my pool game."

My bad. I am sorry. I don't know why but for some reason I assumed you at least had seen Disney's 1940 classic "Pinocchio", in particular the part where they're playing pool. Well anyway, who am I or Disney to say what's right and wrong for you, or anyone else for that matter? Shouldn't we all just make up our own minds as to what's right and wrong and follow our consciences. Wait a minute; that's what Disney espoused in "Pinocchio", and that type of thinking lead to Nazi Germany. Right and wrong... who's to say? I certainly hope it's someone better than mankind. Well anyway, please accept my apology, disregard my tips, get educated playing pool and conduct your life as best a 15 year old sees fit.

MrLucky
07-23-2007, 07:07 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 1Time:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Blaise90:</font><hr>

replys to your tips:

by the way "1time" thaks for the nice warm welcome you have givin me for my first post ever here on this forum. think about the fact that you just made an inoccent 15 year old kid feel like crap. Do you still feel good about yourself? <hr /></blockquote>

Blaise90,

Wow! Had I any idea my tips would have offended you, I certainly would not have posted them. Apparently the moderator of this forum, ccboard_admin, also did not think this likely (or my post would have been deleted). Well I guess that just goes to show you never can tell what people will find offensive. Actually, I pretty much thought you would reply with something like, "Thanks 1Time and everyone who took the time to reply. Now those are some tips I can use to make a positive difference in my life and better enjoy the game of pool and this forum. I will post back at a later date to let you know how things turned out and ask for tips on how to proceed with my pool game."

My bad. I am sorry. I don't know why but for some reason I assumed you at least had seen Disney's 1940 classic "Pinocchio", in particular the part where they're playing pool. Well anyway, who am I or Disney to say what's right and wrong for you, or anyone else for that matter? Shouldn't we all just make up our own minds as to what's right and wrong and follow our consciences. Wait a minute; that's what Disney espoused in "Pinocchio", and that type of thinking lead to Nazi Germany. Right and wrong... who's to say? I certainly hope it's someone better than mankind. Well anyway, please accept my apology, disregard my tips, get educated playing pool and conduct your life as best a 15 year old sees fit. <hr /></blockquote> <font color="green"> WOW! if someone had said this to me and I was dumb enough to take this other persons ideals and images of morality propped up by Walt Disney of all people ! I just can't imagine where I would be at this point in my life ! Perhaps this is who GW patterned his life after ! Pinocchio ! that explains everything! </font color> /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Dagwood
07-23-2007, 08:41 AM
Blaise, welcome to the board first and foremost. Don't bother with what some of the people on here have to say, they're just a bunch of spoilsports, though just to play the devil's advocate for a second, it's easy to get sucked in by this great game, so be carefull and make sure you have your priorities straight. (which is seems like you do)

As far as tips, the first one given is a great one. Practice on a bad table is better than no practice at all. You can still work basic cue ball position and ball pocketing skills on the table you described. Make sure you are concentrating on using as little english as you can and control the speed of your cueball. You're in the Pittsburgh area, so there shoudl be a local pool hall that allows minors somewhere in the area. Call around and find out where they are and check them out whne you have the time to. YMCA's, student unions and recreation centers are also good places to look. Building a good, solid, fundamentaly sound game starts with body positioning and your bridge work, so if you can find someone to help you with that before you really start getting into shooting, you'll be well on your way. If you don't have access to that, then Robert Byrnes begginers books and video's are a good source for this information, though an actual instructor is always better. Above anything else, make sure that you keep pool fun. It is a game after all! Good luck and keep posting if you have any questions!

Dags

Deeman3
07-23-2007, 09:48 AM
Nicely said, Dags! /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Blaise90
07-23-2007, 12:24 PM
Thanks so much guys, i will be calling some places to see what i can do. I have checked out a few books on pool from my library, and i have bought a rather nice cue($50). My friend has a very nice table, so we have been aranging to get together, and work on our game. and dont worry guys, the last thing that i have my eyes set on is money. I want to learn better pool for fun, and also to friendly competion.

Thanks so much,
Blaise

*P.S. I accept your appology 1time, i over reacted a bit anyways"*

1Time
07-23-2007, 12:32 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote MrLucky:</font><hr> <font color="green"> WOW! if someone had said this to me and I was dumb enough to take this other persons ideals and images of morality propped up by Walt Disney of all people ! I just can't imagine where I would be at this point in my life ! Perhaps this is who GW patterned his life after ! Pinocchio ! that explains everything! </font color> /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif <hr /></blockquote>

MrLucky,

Sorry, but you apparently misunderstood. I did not use Disney to prop up the morality of anything I've posted here. Rather, I demonized what Disney espoused in the classic "Pinocchio", and then indicated that I hoped it is someone better than mankind who is to say what is right and wrong. And so it is my opinion that without that, we are condemned to rely on our consciences, as evil or misguided as they may become.

Do you think Blaise90 will accept my apology?

------------------------------

Edit:

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Blaise90:</font><hr> *P.S. I accept your appology 1time, i over reacted a bit anyways"* <hr /></blockquote>
Blaise90, thanks and I wish you all the best.

New2Pool
07-28-2007, 04:12 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 1Time:</font><hr>
Blaise90,

Wow! Had I any idea my tips would have offended you, I certainly would not have posted them. Apparently the moderator of this forum, ccboard_admin, also did not think this likely (or my post would have been deleted).
<hr /></blockquote>

I doubt the moderator(s) delete every post they disagree with. It would be a pretty boring board if they did since only one point of view would ever be expressed. Just think of all the exciting conversations we have over topics such as bent cues! /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

1Time
07-29-2007, 02:10 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote New2Pool:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote 1Time:</font><hr>
Blaise90,

Wow! Had I any idea my tips would have offended you, I certainly would not have posted them. Apparently the moderator of this forum, ccboard_admin, also did not think this likely (or my post would have been deleted).
<hr /></blockquote>

I doubt the moderator(s) delete every post they disagree with. It would be a pretty boring board if they did since only one point of view would ever be expressed. Just think of all the exciting conversations we have over topics such as bent cues! /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif <hr /></blockquote>

As well you should doubt. To allow only one point of view in a public forum would be absurd. Oh, I'm certain the moderator does not delete every post he disagrees with (or a single such post for that matter), but then I never implied that he did. If you re-read my comment, you'll see that I specifically addressed whether my post was thought by the moderator likely to offend. Nothing there about the moderator agreeing or disagreeing with anyone's posts.

I quote the following from the "Rules" of this forum:

"Registration as a User implies acceptance of the following terms and conditions:
- Participants shall not post any material likely to cause offence..."

The following quote from this thread shows the moderator deleted a post.
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Jackson123r:</font><hr> Post deleted by ccboard_admin <hr /></blockquote>
Apparently this member failed to follow the "Rules" and the moderator became aware of this. I'd sooner think the moderator enforces the "Rules" fairly, than to think he's doing so according to his whim.

DickLeonard
07-29-2007, 11:23 AM
Blaise90 Ralph Greenleaf was Champion of the World at 16. How he did it is a big Question just Google Ralph Greenleaf and learn all about Ralph. Just skip the Drinking Part.####

1Time
07-29-2007, 02:03 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DickLeonard:</font><hr> Blaise90 Ralph Greenleaf was Champion of the World at 16. How he did it is a big Question just Google Ralph Greenleaf and learn all about Ralph. Just skip the Drinking Part.#### <hr /></blockquote>

And that wasn't his only world title.

1919 Dec vs Bennie Allen
1920 Nov vs Arthur Woods
1921 Oct vs Arthur Woods
1921 Dec vs Arthur Woods
1922 Feb vs Thomas Hueston
1922 May vs Walter Franklin
1922 Oct vs Bennie Allen
1922 Dec vs Arthur Church
1923 Jan vs Thomas Hueston
1924 Apr vs Bennie Allen
1926 Nov vs Erwin Rudolph
1928 Mar vs Frank Taberski
1928 May vs Andrew St. Jean
1929 Dec vs Erwin Rudolph
1931 Dec vs George Kelly
1932 Dec vs Jimmy Caras
1933 May vs Andrew Ponzi
1937 Apr vs Andrew Ponzi
1937 Nov vs Irving Crane
1937 Dec vs Irving Crane

How did he begin winning at 15? I suppose to begin with he was born extremely gifted and then in his younger years developed his game by being around it all the time. For an interesting read, Google Ralph Greenleaf and Willie Mosconi.