PDA

View Full Version : asbergers

bluewolf
07-25-2002, 02:10 PM
Patrick,

I believe I read from your web page that you have asbergers. I bet most people here do not even know what that is. As a school psychologist, I have worked with preschoolers, grade school children and adolescents who have asbergers. There are also books written by asberger adults, which have shed some light for the rest of us dummies.

I do not claim to be an expert, only a seeker. Firstly, I do not think it is ever possible to understand another being. We are spiritual beings trapped in physical bodies. Even those of similar interests or inclinations connect tangentially at best. Because of our form, if a person is alert enough, he or she feels alone, separate from the other beings that inhabit this planet with us. In the same vein, no two asbergers minds are exactly the same. We are all unique.

Usually, an asberger person grows up feeling misunderstood; undervalued and realizing that he or she is different. Most asberger people are very bright. Most have very good verbal (and writing) skills. Others are good with computers; physics and some are very bright across the board.

To an asberger person, things, which others struggle with often seem obvious to them in their area(s) of brilliance. This can lead the asberger person to feel that they have a superior mind and that most other people are stupid.

There was a lady with a PhD in clinical psychology that wrote a book. Growing up, she knew she was different but did not know why. When her daughter was diagnosed with asbergers, it all clicked for her.

What I want to say is this. People are not going to Ďgetí you. They are not going to know when you are telling a joke or when you are serious. I donít think most people understand highly evolved humor anyway. You not only have a unique mind because you are a unique spiritual being, but you are asbergers and that makes you even more of a puzzle to the rest of us.

Bluewolf

Vagabond
07-25-2002, 06:38 PM
Howdy Blue wolf,
He is not puzzling to me and I can`t speak for other CCBers.He is not disliked here.Many times I got a `kick`from his posts.Don`t know anything about asparagus,hashburgers and hambergers!!!!!!
Vagabond

Vapros
07-25-2002, 06:52 PM
Your message to Patrick was exceedingly interesting, and I would like to know more about asbergers. Can you direct me to a website, for example? The word is not even in my big Random House dictionary. Many thanks.

bluewolf
07-25-2002, 08:04 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Vapros:</font><hr> Your message to Patrick was exceedingly interesting, and I would like to know more about asbergers. Can you direct me to a website, for example? The word is not even in my big Random House dictionary. Many thanks.

people currently diagnosed with asbergers were formally diagnosed with autism or PDD-NOS (pervasive developmental disorder-not otherwise specified) which is a fancy way of saying thay dont know what the problem is. someone noticed a subgroup of folks diagnosed as autistic who were more verbal, capable of scoring high on IQ tests, they had some autistic characteristics but not all of them. as a group, they tend to excell in life and many are brilliant.

the best way to learn about it is to do a search on amazon under books under 'asbergers'. there are some really good books out there, which i have read a few but i learned more from getting to know asberger children and observing what teaching strategies seemed to be working the best.

Bluewolf
<hr></blockquote>

07-26-2002, 09:12 AM

Eric.
07-26-2002, 09:26 AM
Sorry. Couldn't resist

Eric &gt;moron in training

bluewolf
07-26-2002, 09:30 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: whitewolf:</font><hr> Thanks for your analysis Dr. Laura. For me and other CCBers I fear that you have opened up a can of worms. Now we will be even more perplexed as to whether Patrick is being serious and/or is a super comedian.

BTW, this begs the question: does the CCB statuses need to have some new categories, such as 'ALIEN'?

Maybe we could have 'Flame Throwers' for the Downtowners.

Okay CCBers, this is your chance to chime in. More categories please, or someone just start a new thread! <hr></blockquote>

some object to 'old hands' i suggest 'wise ones'
i would gladly sign up for 'xfiles'

however, since the current system is based on number of posts rather than concepts, it would require revamping the whole system or at least dramatically modifying it.

for instance, in the current system, when you reach a certain number of posts, your title is automatically changed to the predesignated one.

if we changed the system to, say when a person makes 100 posts, they can now choose between several categories or the admin person arbitrarily puts them in a certain category based on their perceived behavior it would either give the admin too much power like when they have the power to unsub someone or if it was by choice, this would require communication and result in subsequent misunderstandings.

. sorry whitewolf, if something aint broke, dont fix it.

Bluewolf

bluewolf
07-26-2002, 09:33 AM
very funny.

asbergers was previously a subcategory of autism.

Bluewolf

PQQLK9
07-26-2002, 09:35 AM
Insteresting post Bluewolf...I had never heard the term Asbergers (I don't think) even though I have an Austic nephew (genuis) so I did a Google search and now I am a quasi expert /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif...BTW nice looking dogs (I have a Lhaso Apso) but I did not see a picture of the Bluewolf...

07-26-2002, 09:35 AM
I don't know Eric, I think you've pretty much passed the training phase...... LOL just kidding!

bluewolf
07-26-2002, 09:47 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Lorri:</font><hr> I don't know Eric, I think you've pretty much passed the training phase...... LOL just kidding! <hr></blockquote>

i know you guys are just being silly, but someone who really is asbergers would probably take offense. being asbergers is serious, effecting the person's social interactions, relationships,perceptions and many other things.

asberger people are so different, most of them seem to almost be from another dimension or planet. if i had asbergers, i would certaiinly feel that way about my self

Bluewolf

bluewolf
07-26-2002, 09:59 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: PQQLK9:</font><hr> Insteresting post Bluewolf...I had never heard the term Asbergers (I don't think) even though I have an Austic nephew (genuis) so I did a Google search and now I am a quasi expert /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif...BTW nice looking dogs (I have a Lhaso Apso) but I did not see a picture of
the Bluewolf... <hr></blockquote>

it is often hard to discriminate between high funtioning autism and asberger's. asbergers typically have higher verbal skills and can communicate better with others. their speech is often less pedantic (sounding like a robot) and echolalic (repeating what you say to them or saying the same thing over and over) also.

also asbergers usually do better on iq tests. i have tested some bright (above average to genius) autistics who scored in the retarded range on iq tests. we are not sure why. they are often in their own little world and have their own agendas. often what we are asking them to do is unimportant to them.and some are very withdrawn and cannot communicate on enough levels to measure their ability.

Bluewolf

07-26-2002, 10:13 AM

Wally_in_Cincy
07-26-2002, 10:16 AM
Rectum rockets, sliders, whatever you call 'em they sure taste great. I call a sack of sliders and a six-pack of Bud a "happy meal" /ccboard/images/icons/laugh.gif

Vapros
07-26-2002, 10:43 AM
I'm not sure just what purpose is served by the categories noted on this site. Everyone seems to have the same posting privileges. More postings might put one into a new category, but it seems to me that many posts are done just for that purpose. It's like playing pool with Ray Charles, just to get another win on one's record.

Administrative oversight is needed, to monitor questionable posts and do some deleting where needed, but I think it is the responsibility of the site sponsor. Popular voting would be like organizing a fire drill at the laughing academy, and monitoring would be like umpiring in a Little League game. Who's going to volunteer for that?

I would love to see all posts pertinent to the subject in the heading and a lot of personal dialogue relegated to a more suitable format - but I can't think of a way to do it. It's an open forum, and we will just have to wade through all the fat in order to find a few pork chops.

Re-reading, my commentary looks pretty negative, but I'm going to post it anyway. New ideas would be most welcome. This could be a really good pool site....

bluewolf
07-26-2002, 11:20 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: whitewolf:</font><hr> ZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMM MMMMMMM.

My sense of humor is often dry and I am very rarely serious on this site (except when I talk about pool LOL), just so that you will know.

PS&gt; Maybe we could have a majority rule vote and put someone into a category for a week for punishment. Yes, hanging the bell on the cat could be tough here. Looking for someone who has site/administrative experience who at the same time is creative. Could you be the one? <hr></blockquote>

considering that you have mentioned this subject of categories on several occasions, i question that it is humoror if it is,,it is redundant humor at best. saying something is humor is often a cloak one uses when they have been called out on their 'stuff'

and one important rule about humor. if you are the only one laughing, then it isnt a joke. that is why i often refer to my humor as weird because if nobody gets it,it is not funny to them

Bluewolf

07-27-2002, 12:54 AM
Wrong on one count Vapros, This IS a really good pool site. The fat makes it tasty!

Patrick
07-27-2002, 11:22 AM
When I was a kid they made me do a test, I wasn't even trying and I got average on the test, I didn't care. Years later I knew it was an IQ test. Then I started making IQ tests more seriously and it felt like my IQ was growing fast. I was stupid as a child because I didn't try.

Patrick

<font color=blue>"A very high intelligence, a very good body, and natural spiritual abilities all combined makes me the most powerful human ever lived."</font color=blue>

Patrick
07-27-2002, 11:43 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: bluewolf:</font><hr>
asberger people are so different, most of them seem to almost be from another dimension or planet. if i had asbergers, i would certaiinly feel that way about my self

Bluewolf <hr></blockquote>Do all you humans believe what I say now?

Patrick

<font color=blue>"A very high intelligence, a very good body, and natural spiritual abilities all combined makes me the most powerful human ever lived."</font color=blue>