PDA

View Full Version : Mark Wilson's BD column

JimS
07-10-2007, 06:26 AM
I couldn't find Mark's column in the new BD. He still has a column I hope!!!

Rich R.
07-10-2007, 06:39 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote JimS:</font><hr> I couldn't find Mark's column in the new BD. He still has a column I hope!!! <hr /></blockquote>
They seemed to have changed their format a little bit, which I thought was a little confusing.

I don't have the magazine with me, but there is a very short segment by Mark Wilson. IIRC, it is mixed in the section with the other instructors, like Tony Robles.

If anyone at BD is reading this, I would prefer a full column by Mark Wilson, like before. Although I do welcome Tony Robles and I'm sure he will be a valuable addition to the magazine.

BigRigTom
07-10-2007, 10:22 AM
Mark's column is on page 28 of the July 2007 issue and it is exactly that "1-column" on the left of the page. It is a Q &amp; A and the question is not a very good one IMHO.
His answer is sort of fitting of the question and I wonder if it is a result of a limit of space...read it for yourself to see what I mean.

How do you tell someone how to draw the cue ball in 100 words of less....it could have been better.

I have liked Marks advise in the past and if this is a sign of the future I think it is a sad loss.

JimS
07-10-2007, 11:14 AM
I was afraid that was all there was. If it stays like that I'll not re-subscribe. Marks column is the primary reason I take BD... that and George's writing.

If they cut Mark's space I'm out.

JimS
08-10-2007, 09:20 PM
Anybody heard anthing about Mark's column?

It was one lousy column with one question and answer again this month and I am one thoroughly pissed off reader.

I like Bob Jewett and George Fels stuff but Mark was the real reason I subscribe to BD.

randyg
08-11-2007, 05:42 AM
I feel the same. Quality person, quality articules. I just spent some private time with Mark and I'm very impressed.......SPF=randyg

Fran Crimi
08-11-2007, 06:41 AM
Hi Jim,

How's things? My experience with BD is that it's usually at the writer's request that a column gets shortened. Mark may simply be going through a busy period in his life right now and writing an extensive column may not be a priority for him. Having written a column for BD for two years myself, I can tell you that it can be very time consuming if you're the type to want to get it just right, like I imagine Mark is, and those deadlines roll around pretty quickly.

Fran

Rich R.
08-11-2007, 03:04 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fran Crimi:</font><hr> Hi Jim,

How's things? My experience with BD is that it's usually at the writer's request that a column gets shortened. Mark may simply be going through a busy period in his life right now and writing an extensive column may not be a priority for him. Having written a column for BD for two years myself, I can tell you that it can be very time consuming if you're the type to want to get it just right, like I imagine Mark is, and those deadlines roll around pretty quickly. <hr /></blockquote>
Fran, I can understand the pressures of writing a monthly column. Rather than cut the size a a column down to a simple question and answer, as in the current case with Mark Wilson, do you think the magazine and some writers would consider a rotating column?
For example, maybe Mark Wilson, you and maybe another instructor/writer could take turns writing a column. Call it "The Instructors Corner" and all would take turns writing the column. Therefore, each individual would only have to produce one column every third month. Maybe just a little coordination would be necessary to insure the writers didn't all cover the same topics.
If you think the magazine, and three instructor/writers, would be receptive to this idea, feel free to use it. I think it would benefit everyone. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Fran Crimi
08-11-2007, 08:13 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr>
Fran, I can understand the pressures of writing a monthly column. Rather than cut the size a a column down to a simple question and answer, as in the current case with Mark Wilson, do you think the magazine and some writers would consider a rotating column?
For example, maybe Mark Wilson, you and maybe another instructor/writer could take turns writing a column. Call it "The Instructors Corner" and all would take turns writing the column. Therefore, each individual would only have to produce one column every third month. Maybe just a little coordination would be necessary to insure the writers didn't all cover the same topics.
If you think the magazine, and three instructor/writers, would be receptive to this idea, feel free to use it. I think it would benefit everyone. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Rich, I think that's a great idea! Why don't you send it to BD as a suggestion?

Fran

Rich R.
08-12-2007, 08:17 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fran Crimi:</font><hr> Rich, I think that's a great idea! Why don't you send it to BD as a suggestion?

Fran <hr /></blockquote>
Fran, I'm glad you liked the idea.
Per your suggestion, I sent a "Letter to the Editior", via the home page of this web site. We will see what happens.

JimS
08-13-2007, 07:32 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fran Crimi:</font><hr> Hi Jim,

How's things? My experience with BD is that it's usually at the writer's request that a column gets shortened. Mark may simply be going through a busy period in his life right now and writing an extensive column may not be a priority for him. Having written a column for BD for two years myself, I can tell you that it can be very time consuming if you're the type to want to get it just right, like I imagine Mark is, and those deadlines roll around pretty quickly.

Fran <hr /></blockquote>

Greetings Fran!

I wondered about that. Maybe I should just call Mark and find out... novel idea, what? Actually call and inquire as oppossed to just bitching and moaning. I have the ph # for the Billiards Bullpen in Collinsville Il. around here somewhere and... oops(!).. was that advertising? /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

My favorite quote from Mark's work is "Complete every stroke of the cue to perfection, regardless of how simple or difficult the shot may be. Make no distinction between the difficult or less difficult shots but apply yourself completely to each opoportunity to strike a pool ball." Given the message about Marks personality in that statement I'm sure that Mark would be the sort who would want every word to be just the exact word to convey his point so writing a full page column would get to be a chore.

My friend and teacher, Frank Stellman,aka Sailor from Racine, makes the same point when he says "No nonchalantin at the pool table!". /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

No nonchalantin! Gotta love it.

Anyway.... I like Marks work and I miss the full page column.

Fran Crimi
08-13-2007, 11:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
No nonchalantin! Gotta love it. <hr /></blockquote>

Ha! That's great Jim. I may use that one (and give credit to Frank, of course).

I've got one for you...back when Chelsea Billiards was in it's heyday, I used to get help with my 14.1 game from a friend of mine named Jimmy Wall. He was in his senior years and had loads of great wisdom.

I was having trouble with this one break shot, along side the pack but the shot had very little angle and I couldn't pop the cue ball enough into the pack to do any significant damage. Jimmy shot the shot like it was nothing, and spread the pack like he was shooting a 90 degree angle shot.

"How do you DO that, Jimmy??" I asked him.

He said, "Franny, it's a feel shot, but not just any feel shot. You got to feel it with your soul."

You gotta love it. Anyway, to my surprise, I found out that Jimmy Wall was the one and only Mr. Baxter on the Captain Kangaroo Show.

Strange world we live in, Jim. Strange world.....

Fran

bsmutz
08-13-2007, 01:26 PM
Jim,
Since you have chosen to use this quote from Frank (no non-chalantin at the pool table) and it has baffled me for quite some time, I decided to try to figure out what the heck you guys were trying to say as I had never heard of the word "chalantin". One thing led to another and I finally figured out that you were using the word "nonchalant" in an abnormal manner. In your signature, you have it written as "non-chalantin" when it should actually be (even though it's not a real word) "nonchalanting" or "nonchalantin'" if you want to indicate some colloquialism. I will personally take the quote as "Don't be nonchalant about playing pool!"

pooltchr
08-13-2007, 06:05 PM
Maybe it's because I live in the South, but I figured it out right away! /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Steve

Rich R.
08-13-2007, 07:39 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fran Crimi:</font><hr> Rich, I think that's a great idea! Why don't you send it to BD as a suggestion?

Fran <hr /></blockquote>
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr> Fran, I'm glad you liked the idea.
Per your suggestion, I sent a "Letter to the Editior", via the home page of this web site. We will see what happens. <hr /></blockquote>
Fran, I received a response from Mason King.

Your suspicion was very close. Mark was having trouble writing a full column each month, in that he felt he was repeating himself too often and he was having trouble coming up with fresh topics.

Although Mason liked my idea of a rotating column, he said they would still like to keep Mark in the magazine on a monthly basis. They are still throwing around ideas to increase Mark's presence in the magazine and he said we should all check out the September issue.

Mason also said to assure everyone that "nothing is set in stone yet".

So that is where we stand on this issue. Let's all hope they come up with something we will all like.

Fran Crimi
08-13-2007, 07:40 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote pooltchr:</font><hr> Maybe it's because I live in the South, but I figured it out right away! /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Steve <hr /></blockquote>

Nope---Ain't that. I'm a Yank and I picked it up right away too. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Fran

Fran Crimi
08-13-2007, 07:47 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr> Fran, I received a response from Mason King.

Your suspicion was very close. Mark was having trouble writing a full column each month, in that he felt he was repeating himself too often and he was having trouble coming up with fresh topics.

Although Mason liked my idea of a rotating column, he said they would still like to keep Mark in the magazine on a monthly basis. They are still throwing around ideas to increase Mark's presence in the magazine and he said we should all check out the September issue.

Mason also said to assure everyone that "nothing is set in stone yet".

So that is where we stand on this issue. Let's all hope they come up with something we will all like. <hr /></blockquote>

Rich, I'm glad to hear of Mason's prompt response to you. It's refreshing when you get a prompt response from an establishment.

Mark is a high quality kind of guy. I'm sure whatever they ultimately decide together will be good.

Thanks for sharing the info.

Fran