PDA

View Full Version : Texas Funeral

Deeman3
07-10-2007, 07:02 AM
I have an uncle who was a bomber pilot in WWII who just passed away in Denton Texas and I have been asked to speak at his memorial tomorrow. It's a 14 hour drive so I better get started. He was a wonderful guy and, thank God, had a very short period of suffering. I would fly but have been asked to pick up an older relative on the way. You guys please solve all these world issues while I am away.

Gayle in MD
07-10-2007, 07:57 AM
Sorry about your uncle, Deeman. What an honor, to have been asked.

I hope you won't be near any of those raging fires.

Be safe,

Gayle in Md.

DickLeonard
07-10-2007, 12:06 PM
Deeman you have left the board in good hands. Tell us if speaking is harder than nineball.####

dg-in-centralpa
07-10-2007, 02:23 PM
Deeman,
My condolensces to you and your family. I don't think I could ever speak at someones funeral.

DG

Deeman3
07-12-2007, 10:01 AM
Thanks everyone. It was an honor to speak at his services. I do a lot of public speaking DG so, aside from my emotional involvement, it was not a problem. I mostly talked about his generation like Tom Brokaw did so well in The Greatest Generation and described some of his missions that I had followed up on while I lived in Europe.

He was a quiet man who had many friends and a loving wife of 62 years. His passing was peaceful and his wife is doing well with plenty of support from friends.

I do feel some sadness in that we are losing so many who gave so much to build this great nation at such an early age. He and millions of others climbed into planes already full of holes, flew across the English Channel into hell and kept on doing it, time after time, at 17,18, 19 years old. He was a 18, a pilot and Captain of his crew! Can you imagine they called him Pop's because he was the oldest of his crew! Luckily, he still had another 67 years of life to enjoy, unlike the many who didn't come home. I say he and his brother paid for my rights as an American.

Thanks for your thoughts.

DickLeonard
07-19-2007, 09:25 AM
Deeman this is for Wolfdancer too. This name came up in my memory bank. Capt Eddie RickenBacker who I think was one of the most decorated pilots of the war. As a kid I would watch newsreels in the movies of the War. Dick

Deeman3
07-19-2007, 01:00 PM
Dick,

Yes, I believe he was a famous race car driver as well.