PDA

View Full Version : Buying a table

rskmgt
07-11-2007, 05:48 PM
I am new to pool. Which one of these should I buy: I have pictures of both and they are both great looking and in excellent condition.

7' X 4' IMPERIAL POOL TABLE COMES WITH ALL ACESSORIES INCLUDING 7 POOL STICKS, BALLS & CHAULK. IT IS OF SOLID WOOD, WITH IVORY DIAMOND SHAPE PIECES INLAID IN THE WOOD. SLATE LEATHER POCKETS, BURGANDY FELT TOP, COMES WITH A BROWN LEATHER PROTECTIVE COVER, TO KEEP POOL TABLE FREE OF DUST AND DEBREE. IT HAS CLAW AND BALL FEET. THE POOL TABLE COST 3000.00 NEW AND IS SELLING FOR 1550.00 CASH ONLY

or

This is a beautiful professional High Line Billiards pool table, with special order red felt and heavy duty 3 piece slate. solid wood construction; originally $4,200.00

Complete with protecting cover, 8 ball table rack, triangle, chalk, 4-two piece cues with metal connectors, inlaid wood and Hand Woven Irish linen wraps, wall rack, Belgian Aramith balls, bridge stick and table brush.

Brand new, not even one year old. No marks or tears, we are relocating and must sacrifice it. We know of a great company that can move it. Best deal you'll come across for a high quality pool table like this!!!

Its sleek accents include hardwood rails with Mother Pearl diamond eye sites and leather pockets with tassels. The table also has bolted metal-to-metal construction and interlocking support beams.

bsmutz
07-11-2007, 06:00 PM
I'd go with #2. Doesn't state how big it is, though, and I don't know what kind of room you have available for a table. First thing I would do is chuck the red cloth. As I remember, Imperial tables come from China and are not the best quality.

canadan
07-11-2007, 10:42 PM
they are cheaper new.. look up monaco tables

bradb
07-16-2007, 10:01 AM
Warning to all new table buyers... follow up where your table is made! The label may say made by a US company but if you check thoroughly you may find that its manufactured in China and assembled here. Some of the top table retailers are sneaking the chinese tables into their line, the brochures look great, the tables look fantastic but the wood in those tables are poor quality and will crack and warp.

Most salesmen were honest with me when I bought mine, but buying a used table is definitely buyer beware!

Gayle in MD
07-16-2007, 10:16 AM
Look into the Diamond Pro. You'll never regret buying it. And, I think it's still made in America, and manufactured at their factory. Sometimes you can buy them after tournaments at a discount. It's the best table you can buy, dollar for dollar, and they stand behind their product. Good folks to deal with. JM2 C.

Gayle in Md.

SPetty
07-16-2007, 12:10 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Gayle in MD:</font><hr> Look into the Diamond Pro. You'll never regret buying it. And, I think it's still made in America, and manufactured at their factory. Sometimes you can buy them after tournaments at a discount. It's the best table you can buy, dollar for dollar, and they stand behind their product.<hr /></blockquote>Or not... My slate has "cracked", and I contacted the company on several occasions to get it fixed "right" and was just routed around to different people, all of whom said they'd call back but never did... /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif After four or more phone calls, I have given up. They are unhelpful.

Chopstick
07-16-2007, 12:22 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Gayle in MD:</font><hr> Look into the Diamond Pro. You'll never regret buying it. And, I think it's still made in America, and manufactured at their factory. Sometimes you can buy them after tournaments at a discount. It's the best table you can buy, dollar for dollar, and they stand behind their product.<hr /></blockquote>Or not... My slate has "cracked", and I contacted the company on several occasions to get it fixed "right" and was just routed around to different people, all of whom said they'd call back but never did... /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif After four or more phone calls, I have given up. They are unhelpful. <hr /></blockquote>

Mt frame is one of the original wooden ones and it warped. I called them trying to buy a new one and just got the run around. Screw them.

Gayle in MD
07-16-2007, 01:58 PM
Gee, that's one on me, friend. I haven't heard any complaints about Diamond before. They've always done right by me. The slate, just all of a sudden, cracked?

Gayle in Md.

igettherolls
07-17-2007, 12:49 AM
I would definitely agree, check where the table is actually made, many companies are importing tables under their name or are bringing in most of the parts from other countries. Brunswick tables are all made in either Brazil or China, Olhausen is importing tables now and I have even heard that Connelly is importing tables and parts from South America and China.

BigRigTom
07-17-2007, 01:44 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote igettherolls:</font><hr> I would definitely agree, check where the table is actually made, many companies are importing tables under their name or are bringing in most of the parts from other countries. Brunswick tables are all made in either Brazil or China, Olhausen is importing tables now and I have even heard that Connelly is importing tables and parts from South America and China. <hr /></blockquote>

This is a sign of the times folks, the world gets smaller every day.
Being imported does NOT make the table necessarily bad NOR does being made in the USA always mean it is a good table.
You have to look deeper and do some homework on the products and company reputation and customer's opinions as well as look at the warranty and how the company stands behind the product. If they have a bunch of disclaimers in the "LIMITED" warranty then customer beware.

I drive a Lexus 400h and it is an import and I love it.
No reason a pool table could not be a quality import product too.
All that said....
I still swear by Brunswick, and of course mine was made in 1974 and was not the "top of the line" but I still like it a lot. The only table I would consider buying to replace it would be the Gold Crown III and that is the one I will get some day.

SPetty
07-18-2007, 11:36 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Gayle in MD:</font><hr> The slate, just all of a sudden, cracked?<hr /></blockquote>Sorry, I knew when I was writing it that I was using the wrong word, which is why I quoted it - I was looking for the word "popped". The slates "popped", which means two of the slates separated from each other enough that you can feel the seam.

Scott Lee
07-19-2007, 09:47 PM
SPetty...Get ahold of Al Conte in NY. He sells a product called Liquid Dowel. It's superglue for slate seams. Works perfectly...

Scott Lee

SPetty
07-23-2007, 04:31 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Scott Lee:</font><hr> SPetty...Get ahold of Al Conte in NY. He sells a product called Liquid Dowel. It's superglue for slate seams. Works perfectly...<hr /></blockquote>Hi Scott, Sure I've heard of it. It's what Diamond uses when they set up a table. Not something I'd want to try myself... Was hoping in vain for a little help from Diamond... /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

bsmutz
07-23-2007, 05:54 PM
Sucks that Diamond is ignoring your problem. When one of my slates popped within 3-4 months of installation, they (not Diamond) came out and put a shim or two under the offending slate until the seam could no longer be felt and were wanting my approval of a job well done. They didn't get it...

BigRigTom
07-24-2007, 03:00 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bsmutz:</font><hr> Sucks that Diamond is ignoring your problem. When one of my slates popped within 3-4 months of installation, they (not Diamond) came out and put a shim or two under the offending slate until the seam could no longer be felt and were wanting my approval of a job well done. They didn't get it... <hr /></blockquote>

Can one of you explain exactly what you mean when you say the "slate popped".
My Brunswick has alignment pins in the edges of the slate where the pieces slide together, once those pins slide into the alignment hole in the adjoining piece of slate the seam is just that, a seam which has to be filled with something like bees wax, plaster, bondo or what ever you prefer.
I have never had a problem with that slate moving in any way once the table was assembled that 1st time.
We have moved the table several times the most dramatic being when I had the new bamboo floor installed. The slate is still great as far as I can tell.

I am about ready to put on new Simonis 860 and I am starting to wonder if this is something I should watch out for or worry about.

bsmutz
07-24-2007, 03:20 PM
The slate on my tables didn't have alignment dowels, just flat faces that were shimmed from the bottom (support braces across the width of the table at the seam). Probably more common as it would add extra expense to use precision dowels to align the slates. Maybe I'll try my biscuit joiner next time I have the tables apart. Depending on how far the dowels go into the slate and how tightly they fit into their holes, it seems like there would still be some play at the seam (like on a dining room table with leaves), especially after a few take aparts and put back togethers. It doesn't take much to affect play. My pool table has a line across it at the seam down by the rack end and a slow rolling ball will deflect off the seam but I can't feel it with my hand.

BigRigTom
07-24-2007, 03:43 PM
The pins on my table look to be brass, the fit very snug into the alignment holes and there is almost no play, as a matter of fact it is necessary to tap the slate into place to get the pins all the way in.

So when you say Popped....do you mean the pieces at the seams are no longer level with each other.

Gayle in MD
08-02-2007, 09:25 PM
Hi again,
Just a question. Did Diamond sell you your table, and set it up for you? I've never heard a complaint about the folks at Diamond Billiards Products. They have a long standing reputation for standing behind their product. With whom did you speak when you called them?

Gayle in Md.

SPetty
08-06-2007, 10:54 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Gayle in MD:</font><hr> I've never heard a complaint about the folks at Diamond Billiards Products. They have a long standing reputation for standing behind their product. <hr /></blockquote>Gayle, I have no intentions of publicly "bashing" Diamond, so let's take this off-line if you want to discuss it further. I'll send you a PM.

I just felt the need to slightly temper the unbridled enthusiasm with a very different real-life experience. They bend over backwards, I'm sure, to sell tables. It's been my experience that they have a bit more trouble with caring for the customer after the table has been sold.

Gayle in MD
08-06-2007, 01:42 PM
Susan,
Having read your PM, I am relieved to know that Diamond didn't sell to you, or install, your table, and particularly because I have often recommended them specifically because they stand behind their work, and product.

Popped slates on a table would indicate that the table was not installed properly, or that the floor on which it stood either warped at a later date, or somehow became unlevel after the installation, just as any warping of wood can be caused by high humidity, or an unlevel floor.

I can now stand behind my own recommendations of the Diamond Company, to others, now that I realize that you didn't purchase your table from Diamond, and that they didn't install the table.

I'm releived to know that your problem, popped slates, can easily be corrected by any good table mechanic, and I know several who may be near your area, or traveling through, in the coming months. Let me know if you would like their names.

Take care now,

Love,
Gayle

SPetty
08-06-2007, 04:49 PM
Thanks ever so much for respecting my desire to take this off line. /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif

At no time did I ever say or insinuate that it was Diamond's fault that the slates popped. Whether I purchased directly from the factory or through their local authorized dealer/installer does not change things. My gripe is that Diamond had little interest in helping me make my table right when the slates popped. They did not stand behind their product when I needed them to, and they did not help make it right.

Just as you lavishly recommend them "specifically because they stand behind their work and product", I sometimes feel obligated to temper that recommendation by sharing my own less than satisfactory experience because they did not stand behind their product when I needed them to.

You had a good experience; I had a bad experience.

Gayle in MD
08-07-2007, 03:13 AM
Ouch... /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif sorry, but since you said you didn't want to bash Diamond in public, although you had already bashed the company, I thought it was only fair that people realize that you didn't buy from Diamond, and that they weren't responsible for the poor installation that caused the problem. When you stated that they used liquid dowel for securing the slate, that seemd to me at least, to suggest that they had performed the installation.

While you didn't say that Diamond didn't sell you the table, or install it, I think that most who read your original post, would have assumed that that was the case, given the text of your post. Diamond does stand behind their work and product, however, I can see how impossible it would be for any company to run around the country correcting the mistakes of every single poor table mechanic on the loose. One would assume that the company that you bought from, would correct their own poor work. I don't think it's unreasonable for a company to be more interested in selling their product, then in correcting all the poor mechanical work performed by other companies, if they wanted to make any profit, that is.

I hope you hear back from them, and get things worked out, and will give us an up-date. I'd say that it might be easier to locate a good table mechanic in your area, but that's just me. Sorry if I offended you, it didn't seem to me to be anything that you would mind being cleared up a bit.

Good luck!

Gayle in Md.

SPetty
08-07-2007, 11:52 AM
Geez, Gayle. You seem to be jumping to a whole lot of conclusions and making some unsavory assumptions and insinuations.

My original note still stands and is all I ever intended to say:

My slate has "popped", and I contacted the company on several occasions to get it fixed "right" and was just routed around to different people, all of whom said they'd call back but never did... After four or more phone calls, I have given up. They are unhelpful.

That is far from "bashing".

wolfdancer
08-07-2007, 01:19 PM
Bill, hard to believe that "ace" mechanic didn't get your installation right....especially after all the bragging that he was doing. I seem to remember that he did things a little different then I saw Ernesto, or Bob Bebb on their installations.
If you now have a slight height mismatch at the seam....that can be corrected ...but as I remember he glued the edges of the cloth down....
Remind me not to call him when I need my table recovered....
now about my printer.....

Gayle in MD
08-07-2007, 03:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Geez, Gayle. You seem to be jumping to a whole lot of conclusions and making some unsavory assumptions and insinuations.
<hr /></blockquote>

Not at all, Susan, I just don't think that a company's obligation to stand behind their product, means jumping to it, to correct some other company's poor workmanship, that's all. If you think my recommendation amounted to what you called "unbridled enthusiasm," and that I "Lavishly recommend them, and required tempering, I thought, as well, that the facts of the situation, should also be included, along with your complaints about the company, so that folks would understand that Diamond, wasn't, in fact, failing to stand behind their (work) product, as you put it. IIRC, it was never made clear that they didn't install the table, and I think that is a different thing from standing behind a product, which suggests failure to make right, something that they botched.

Recommending a good company, which I, and many of my friends, have been impressed with, and recieved excellent service from, isn't something I take lightly, being a business owner, myself, nor do I think that that equals Lavish, unbridled enthusiasm.

Word of mouth is the best advertising any company can recieve, just as a complaint suggesting that a company doesn't stand behind their (product) work, can be very damaging, and I simply didn't think that was a fair assessment of the situation. No assumptions, or unsavory insinuations were intended, on my part.

Gayle in Md.