PDA

View Full Version : I just realized why

Chopstick
07-12-2007, 03:39 PM
I can't ever seem to plan my straight pool patterns more than three balls in a row.

Cause I never make more than three balls in a row. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I hate this game.

dg-in-centralpa
07-13-2007, 05:45 AM
Hmmm....good thought. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

DG

Deeman3
07-13-2007, 12:48 PM
You're telling me???!!! I have been playing straight pool with Tori every night, except for the recent quick trip to Texas this week, and am having a lot of trouble stringing any racks together. I go through the rack and am doing a pretty fair job of setting up the break ball but I seem, for some odd reason to pocket the ball and then either stick in the cluster of just simply not have a shot! I'm not talking about a couple of bad racks in a row but I rarely get past 16 balls and then get stuck. Now, I'm pocketing balls o.k. and, aside form the occasional stupid miss over drift of attention, I am getting exactly the break out balls I would do with ball in hand. Maybe it's just a dry spell but the mid fourties is my best run in about two months of playing a couple of hours a night! Maybe the bar tables are taking their toll, I'm not sure. I do know something better happen quick or Tori is going to get an adjustment in her "spot". I had thought that I was just playing too defensively as giving up so many balls, you just can't take a chance on giving away even 5 balls on a risky shot/breakout if youre opponent, no matter how sad is only going to 10.

Anyhow, whatever is left on the table and maybe the next rqack seem to be about my limit right now. I need some one pocket to bring my attention around but you can't play a non-player one pocket and do any good as they don't make spots that big!

Let me know if you decide to look at that 4th ball... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chopstick
07-16-2007, 08:47 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman3:</font><hr> I go through the rack and am doing a pretty fair job of setting up the break ball but I seem, for some odd reason to pocket the ball and then either stick in the cluster of just simply not have a shot! <hr /></blockquote>

I wish I had a nickel for every time I broke the balls and got screwed. Here's a few examples.

Break balls all over creation no ball touching a rail or another ball and right at the last, the last ball moving will slowly creep over and freeze to the cue ball. No shot.

Break the balls and you only have one really hard shot open, you make it and go two or three rails and wind up exactly on the same spot you started on and now you have no shot at all.

Play a three rail shape on a ball and wind up frozen to it. I got that one down pat.

One thing I have noticed down here, on humid days the balls don't break the same way and you have to use different break shots to get them apart. If it's raining, you can't break them with one shot and you shouldn't try. I even hit em so hard, the cue ball jumps up in the air. They still won't spread. You just have to pick em apart. I heard that Mosconi never broke em hard. He always just took them apart a little at a time.

Spidey finally got interested in One Pocket. We played a bunch when I was down there. His first serious One Pocket session and he makes a ball on the break four times in a row. He'll be giving us 10-6 before it's over with.

wolfdancer
07-17-2007, 01:16 AM
What you need to break out of that slump is a little pressure...a few quid on the game. As a favor to you, I'll take Tori's spot, and we'll play some.
I've always wanted to fly first class, and I should be able to upgrade my ticket on my way home....

1Time
07-17-2007, 03:14 AM
This thread reminds me of Steve Mizerak's repeating line in "The Color of Money" when they're playing in the big tourney... "I didn't deserve that". And then after beating him Newman quips, "Yes, you did." My point, Newman had it right and The Miz had it wrong. Would you guys like some beer to cry in, or would you rather get off of it and back into the game?

Deeman3
07-17-2007, 07:22 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> What you need to break out of that slump is a little pressure...a few quid on the game. As a favor to you, I'll take Tori's spot, and we'll play some.
I've always wanted to fly first class, and I should be able to upgrade my ticket on my way home.... <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> I aint fallin' for that one Wolfy...I suspect you'd pull out your putter on hard banks! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif </font color>

Deeman3
07-17-2007, 07:31 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chopstick:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman3:</font><hr> I go through the rack and am doing a pretty fair job of setting up the break ball but I seem, for some odd reason to pocket the ball and then either stick in the cluster of just simply not have a shot! <hr /></blockquote>

I wish I had a nickel for every time I broke the balls and got screwed. Here's a few examples.

Break balls all over creation no ball touching a rail or another ball and right at the last, the last ball moving will slowly creep over and freeze to the cue ball. No shot.

Break the balls and you only have one really hard shot open, you make it and go two or three rails and wind up exactly on the same spot you started on and now you have no shot at all.

Play a three rail shape on a ball and wind up frozen to it. I got that one down pat.

One thing I have noticed down here, on humid days the balls don't break the same way and you have to use different break shots to get them apart. If it's raining, you can't break them with one shot and you shouldn't try. I even hit em so hard, the cue ball jumps up in the air. They still won't spread. You just have to pick em apart. I heard that Mosconi never broke em hard. He always just took them apart a little at a time.

Spidey finally got interested in One Pocket. We played a bunch when I was down there. His first serious One Pocket session and he makes a ball on the break four times in a row. He'll be giving us 10-6 before it's over with. <hr /></blockquote> <font color="blue">

I guess I'm close enough to the Florida humidity to have the same effect here. I have tried a less agressive breakout but it seems they all just die or herd up like cattle in a bad place! /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I knew if you ever got Spiderman started he'd get hooked. I did the same with Ace and he played jammed up! Damn I wish you guys were closer to me. You know, he was right, there aint no cure for one pocket!

I took last night off from 14.1 with Tori. I came home and she had broken another piece off her new bike. i tell you guys, If you see a little blond lady on a scooter with Alabama plates, give her some room or you'll be sorry. I will adjust my mood tonight and thump her cute little tail. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif Then we will play some pool. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

ON my way to the funeral in Texas last week I spied a Corky's in Jackson, Mississippi and had a pork sandwich, with slaw piled all over it. Thought of you and Marty...Eat your heart out. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif</font color>