PDA

View Full Version : Humidity effects table cloth

bradb
07-15-2007, 05:20 PM
The other day I left my pool room windows open because it was so hot outside.
It rained like hell for a short time then stopped and got hot again. It was so humid it was like a steam bath in my house. I went into my pool room and my Simonis cloth was full of wrinkles, it was so loose on the surface that the table was unplayable.

After a bit of a panic I settled down and decided I would iron it. I emptied the water out of the iron and set it on medium heat. Almost instantly the cloth began to tighten up. The next day I went down and the cloth was tight as a drum. The table has never played better.

Thought I would pass this on for those who live in a humid area. -Brad

cushioncrawler
07-15-2007, 06:32 PM
Brad -- What sort of "unplayable" woz it??? madMac.

bradb
07-15-2007, 07:20 PM
It was so loose it formed ridges in the cloth. It was really drastic.

Chopstick
07-16-2007, 08:54 AM
It has a huge effect down here in Flarda. I used to get those wrinkles in my pockets. The last time I covered it I dampened the cloth when I stretched over my pockets. I haven't seen any wrinkles since. Some days you can still feel loose spots in the cloth. It's just part of the game.

I have been shopping for a decent hygrometer to put in my room. I can sense the big changes but I want to fine tune my awareness and adjust my game accordingly.

bradb
07-16-2007, 09:30 AM
I have Simonis 760 which may stretch more than 860. But I believe the 860 has more wool so I don't know if that was a factor.

As I mentioned to Max this was so bad the path of the ball could be changed as there were ripples sticking up in the cloth. I think it was an extreme combination of rapid humidity and temperature change that caused it.

I notice that after I clean the surface with the spray the side pockets wrinkle up a bit, so this cloth really is effected by any wetness. A de-humidifier would certainly help in maintainig a consistant surface. But since I ironed it there has been no more problems, so I recommend that for sure.

Bob_Jewett
07-16-2007, 12:42 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bradb:</font><hr> It was so loose it formed ridges in the cloth. It was really drastic. <hr /></blockquote>
This makes me wonder whether the cloth was stretched enough when it was installed. I've heard that some installers are unwilling or unable to do that part of the job.

I use to play in a room where if you pressed your hand forward while making a bridge, you would get a wave in the cloth ahead of your hand.

ras314
07-16-2007, 06:36 PM
Chopstick, the best type of hygrometer is the one built into the dehumidifer. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Anayways, Oregon Scientific sells some inexpensive hygrometers.

cushioncrawler
07-17-2007, 02:55 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Bob_Jewett:</font><hr>I use to play in a room where if you pressed your hand forward while making a bridge, you would get a wave in the cloth ahead of your hand.<hr /></blockquote>Bob -- One of my referee mates told me of the time he fouled a snooker player who woz snookered -- he set up with a very short bridge and then mooved (sqeezed) the bridge'n'cloth'n'qball over sidewayz a bit befor he stroked so that he could play directly on the ????. Cunning devil. It must have been a "first" for this sort of foul, quite a good scalp for the ref. madMac.

bradb
07-20-2007, 01:39 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Bob_Jewett:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote bradb:</font><hr> It was so loose it formed ridges in the cloth. It was really drastic. <hr /></blockquote>
This makes me wonder whether the cloth was stretched enough when it was installed. I've heard that some installers are unwilling or unable to do that part of the job.

I use to play in a room where if you pressed your hand forward while making a bridge, you would get a wave in the cloth ahead of your hand. <hr /></blockquote>

The cloth was deffinitely stretched properly when installed... It was tight as a drum. Now its back but it sure put the scare in me.

Thats wild about Max's story on the loose cloth, thats a new one!

I guess a player may have to carry an Iron in their bag for those days when the cloth ripples up... /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

mantis
07-21-2007, 02:01 PM
I would not let my table sit in a climate like that without a dehumidifier. Why spend so much for a table and better cloth, and not protect it with a much less expensive item like a dehumidifier. The humidity is also bad for the wood on your table and your cues. I live in the midwest, and always run a dehumidifier during the spring and summer as my table is the basement. The resevoir is full of water about every day and a half.