PDA

View Full Version : George Balabushka

mikeB
07-18-2007, 10:46 AM
Hello, I am a pool NUT and I recently purchased an original George Balabuska cue. It was restored and authenticated in 2006 by Pete Tascarella. Pete dated it to early 1960's.
The person I bought the cue from was certain that it was originally purchased from GB in 1957.

There is only a little bit of info on the internet about the life and career of Geroge Balabushka but the little I have found suggested he did not make cues until 1959. Can the 1957 date be correct?

Any light you can shed on this would be most welcome.

Deeman3
07-18-2007, 12:32 PM
Mike,

I have an original as well. I would be shocked to think anyone would have done any restoration work to an original unless it was in very horrible shape, I mean beyond just used and worn. I honestly don't know when he started making cues, for sure but someone on here would have that information.

One of my ferrules even has a hairline crack and I won't replace or repair it. Would you describe the cue? Most, especially early ones, are quite simple but I'd love to know what a 1957 looks like. If you have a photo, please share it.

mikeB
07-18-2007, 04:05 PM
Hi thanks for the reply. I have a heap of photos of the cue. Am not sure how to upload them to this site though. If you have your own e mail address then please let me know and I would be more than happy to send them on.
regs
Mike

dave666
07-29-2007, 10:15 AM
sometimes the cue maker doesn't become known right when he starts making cues. george could have made alot of cues before he was considered a cue maker. a friend of mine scott boyd of boyd custom has been making cues for a few years and he still isn't KNOWN as a cue maker even though he is. and i agree with the guy who said he wouldn't have restored the cue. if you cant get it redone by the maker himself dont do it unless the cue is unplayable. /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Deeman3
07-30-2007, 06:20 AM
Dave,

Unlike today, back in Mr. Balabushka's day, there were only a handful of custom cue makers and most were pretty well known if their work was good. I remember first hearing his name in about 1966 and seeing and hitting one in about 1968. I owned one only a couple of years later. I can't say that he was real widely known but I had several very, very good players calling his cues the best in the late 1960's. Oddly, they were not that much more expensive than other cues but were very hard to come by, at least for an 18 year old.

I would not say that only the original maker can restore a cue I was just saying be careful and only have somethng done if absolutely necessary.