PDA

View Full Version : Who's David Howard?

teliman
07-20-2007, 10:49 AM
A friend of mine says he has a David Howard cue. Was he a tour player or a custom maker? All I see online are some Meucci cues with his name. Please educate me. Thanks. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Chopstick
07-20-2007, 11:23 AM
David Howard aka. Little David was a road player and tournament player back in the 70s. I don't know much more than that. I never saw him play but I heard he was pretty good.

Deeman3
07-20-2007, 12:10 PM
As Chopstick said, Little David "The Giant Killer"was a player in the 1970's that was very, very good. He was very small in stature and last I heard was living in Florida. I have not seen him in 15 years or so but he was a very good nine ball player who could draw a ball and put about as much english on one as Mike Massey. I know Bob Meucci made a David Howard model back then. I'm pretty sure it's the maker you are speaking of as I don't remember any other makers using his name. I also do remember that someone, I think Grady, told me that he had opened a pool hall and pro shop somewhere in Florida. If anyone knows, I'd love know what happened to him or where he is. David always played with a lot of heart. He spent a lot of time in Memphis at one time or another. He was so recognisable, it was hard for him to get a fair game but played well, no matter the weight he gave. He was sometimes inconsistent in tournaments looking like he was unbeatable in one match and missing easy stuff in others but he feared no one. He'd probably be in his early sixties now.

He was consistently a top ten player in his best years.

Fran Crimi
07-20-2007, 12:37 PM
Who's David Howard? Read The Color of Money...not the movie, the book, and take note of the character Vincent. I met Walter Tevis at a tournament in Connecticut when he was writing The Color of Money. He told me he was following David Howard on the road collecting information for his book. The flash and friendliness of Vincent is classic David. David lit up the room when he walked into it and he was one of the most exciting players to watch, full of flair, drama, and a whole lot of talent. When David played a match, everyone stopped to watch. He broke the balls like a demon, making multiple balls on the break---more than I'd ever seen anyone do.

Fran

DickLeonard
07-20-2007, 01:25 PM
Fran Welcome back from Tuscany or was it the French Rivera.####

teliman
07-20-2007, 02:30 PM
Wow, I wish I could have seen him play. Thanks for the education!
Also, it turns out my friend has the David Howard Meucci pictured here:
http://www.discountpoolcues.com/meuccidavidhowardcue1.htm

w/o the signature, of course. He won that stick in a money game many, many years ago and never knew what the heck it was. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

sack316
07-20-2007, 03:04 PM
here is a little info from AZ and a pic (http://www.azbilliards.com/camel/profiles/showplayer.cfm?playernum=108)

I'm not sure what's going on with him now, but I did find that as recently as 2005 he played in the Florida Open, losing in the first round to Troy Frank.

Sack

Deeman3
07-20-2007, 03:58 PM
Fran,

Yes, I had forgotten that thunderbolt break. Most thought Siegel had the best break but you are right, David rarely failed to pocket more than one and looked like he felt cheated when he didn't. Nice to see you back. We missed you.

Fran Crimi
07-20-2007, 06:03 PM
If my memory serves me right, I think both feet used to leave the ground when he broke.

Fran

rackem
07-21-2007, 12:28 AM
His room was around Jacksonville.

Snapshot9
07-21-2007, 10:59 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fran Crimi:</font><hr> If my memory serves me right, I think both feet used to leave the ground when he broke.

Fran <hr /></blockquote>

Now come'on Fran, even the most elementary Physics teacher can tell you that momentum wouild be lost by both feet coming off the ground since your legs and hips is where lots of power is gained on the break.

Don't believe me, then try jumping up in the air with both feet and then break ..... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Fran Crimi
07-21-2007, 07:02 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Snapshot9:</font><hr>
Now come'on Fran, even the most elementary Physics teacher can tell you that momentum wouild be lost by both feet coming off the ground since your legs and hips is where lots of power is gained on the break.

Don't believe me, then try jumping up in the air with both feet and then break ..... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

I wonder what your elementary physics teacher would think about your assuming things without bothering to ask questions. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

No, I never said he jumped before impact. He used to lean heavily on his bridge arm and his feet would leave the ground due to the extreme force of the hit. It was probably just his style, the way others kick up one leg. It could have possibly been exactly at impact or just after. Hard to tell because it happened so fast.

It's just a vague memory. It might not even have been David, but somehow I think it was.

Fran

Scott Lee
07-21-2007, 09:27 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman3:</font><hr> He was very small in stature and last I heard was living in Florida. <hr /></blockquote>

Dee...Most ANYBODY would be small in stature compared to you! /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif The David Howard I know is about 5'10", and 3" taller than me! Now me...I'm AVERAGE height! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Scott Lee

DSAPOLIS
07-22-2007, 05:17 AM
David Howard is one of the best players to come out of the State of Florida. He is TWO TIME US Open 9 Ball Champion (1982 &amp; 1986). Known as "Little David" and "The Giant Killer" David won many professional tournaments and many satellite events back in the 70's, 80's, and early 1990's. He is still in Jacksonville - last I heard he still had a room there. I saw him a few months ago and he looked like he was doing well. He shows up every year at the US Open - hell - as a former champion he gets free entry.

FWIW, David would kick off with his back foot and the tip of his cue would contact the cue ball - and he would follow through all the way to the rack. Johnny Archer uses a modified version of David's break. I believe David's break was just as explosive as Wade Crane's (back in the day).

dg-in-centralpa
07-22-2007, 07:37 AM
Blackjack,

Good to see you still lurking here. How are you doing?

DG

DSAPOLIS
07-22-2007, 10:13 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dg-in-centralpa:</font><hr> Blackjack,

Good to see you still lurking here. How are you doing?

DG <hr /></blockquote>

I'm still alive and well, playing pool every day, still teaching - posting mostly on Azbilliards.

I am also posting my lessons in my blog on myspace

Blackjack - MYSPACE (http://www.myspace.com/ultimo_angel )

I hope all is doing well in Central Pa!

Blackjack

BLACKHEART
07-22-2007, 07:15 PM
David, was also the best at playing with one hand, that I ever saw. I saw him at a trade show, playing for $10 a game. The money was donated to a charity. He played about 8 hours &amp; only lost 2-3 times...JER

Vagabond
07-22-2007, 09:43 PM
david howard was US Open champion 2 times and was runner up 2 times.He had a monster break.when he was a road hog he used to go to big tournaments but never enter.he sat among spectators and once the winner was determined he would ask the winner to play him for that prize money.david`s brother Rick was also a very good player and rick`s ex wife was a good player and a hustler in true sense.Another pro player named his son after david howard.I do not know whether he still operates that pool room called `Little david`s` in jacksonville,FL or not.
He was well known for his break and I am also known for `giving a rack`.when I gambled with David many years ago,I made his cue ball fly of the table 2 times when he broke. My racks do that and I am proud of that and I brag about it.He,heee,Heeee
David was a great player. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Deeman3
07-23-2007, 07:22 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Scott Lee:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman3:</font><hr> He was very small in stature and last I heard was living in Florida. <hr /></blockquote>

Dee...Most ANYBODY would be small in stature compared to you! /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif The David Howard I know is about 5'10", and 3" taller than me! Now me...I'm AVERAGE height! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Scott Lee <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> Hey! I'm much smaller than the last time you saw me! Anyway, yes I'm still 6'2" but lost most of the excess weight. I guess David could be 5'10", I won't argue with you but he sure seemed shorter to me. Fran was right, he would have both feet come off the floor but I also remember him as being the first I remember or maybe noticed to bring the cue tip back almost completely out of his bridge hand before coming forward.

I had also forgotten his one handed play too that was mentioned. I don't ever recall him being rude or inconsiderate to anyone.</font color>

teliman
07-23-2007, 03:38 PM
He sure sounds like a heck of a guy! My friend with the David Howard cue stick will be glad to hear it. Thanks all.

smoothstroke
07-27-2007, 08:50 AM
David still lives in Jacksonville,his pool room is still in operation, I have one of the "origional proto-types " Meuchi(sp?) made for david before they went into production.
He still has Game.....good health and still a nice guy.

Deeman3
07-27-2007, 10:19 AM
Smoothstroke:

Tnaks fo rthe update. I'll make sure I find him my next trip to Florida, well this weekend won't count as the tournament I'm attending there is a little too far from Jacksonville.

Thanks