PDA

View Full Version : Hi, the playing balls don't roll much

tnewson
07-22-2007, 12:23 PM
Hi there,

I have new to the forum and have signed up in need of some help... i have a cheapish table (non-slate bed) as im just starting out in pool and wanted to see if i enjoyed it much before spending alot of money on a slatebed.

when i break in 9 ball and 8 ball all the balls stay at the bottom end and hardly roll much at all..

Does anyone on here know why this is? would having a speed cloth really help much?

Any help is much appreciated.

Regards

tom

1Time
07-22-2007, 12:56 PM
I would first make sure the table is level. Sounds like your table is leaning toward the foot of the table.

tnewson
07-22-2007, 01:11 PM
Hi, cheers for that.

I've posted up a vid of how little they roll maybe this could help..

bad roll (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7u5EOOB-uLE)

Just realised link didnt work, have sorted it now

pooltchr
07-22-2007, 04:36 PM
Probably a combination of things. You may have a thick nappy cloth, It may not be quite level, possible loose cushions, and a non-slate bed...all of these things can take a lot off the balls.
Steve

DeadCrab
07-22-2007, 06:22 PM
This is a complex question. Don't blame the "non-slate" surface yet.

1. Get a good level, preferably a machinist's level or high quality 2' (0.75m) carpenter's level. Check the table at numerous sites, especially the trouble spots. If you cannot get it level per manufacturers instructions, I would recommend tear-down and reassembly of the table, with particular attention to the integrity and levelness of the frame. If the frame looks good and level throughout, you can (assuming you have a saber saw, drill, and router) replace the surface with a sheet of 3/4" (1.5 cm) MDF cut to the specifications of the original piece. Regardless of what you hear elsewhere, MDF installed on a proper frame will be playable. However, the underlying frame must be perfect. Any imperfection in the frame will be magnified by the MDF, which is flexible.

2. If the table is level, take the cueball and hit it from one end of the table to the other (long ways). Hit it hard, like a break shot. It should hit 4 cushions, or at least close to it. Less than that and you have a cushion/rail or cloth problem. Make sure the rails are down snug, and that the cushions are not loose.

How do the balls move on non-break shots? If they are true on those shots, maybe you aren't getting the cueball solid on the break.

Dagwood
07-22-2007, 09:56 PM
From the looks of that break, it's just the speed of the bed and no too much to do with the rails...the playing surface just looks very, very slow.

On top of what DeadCrab mentioned, you might also be dealing with loose cloth. If you haven't invested in high quality worsted wool cloth, and what you have on there is loose, it will really slow down the travel of the cue and object balls. Combine this with humidity and it could very well cause what is happening. I would venture to guess though that it's not just one thing, but a combination of things. Table out of level, nappy cloth that isn't pulled tightly, and hunidity.
Either way, putting in a slate bed won't fix the problem IMHO.

Dags

Jal
07-22-2007, 10:09 PM
Welcome to the forum.

DeadCrab mentioned not hitting the head ball solid (full on). After viewing the video several times, it looks like that is what is happening. The cueball flies off to the left cushion, then over to the right, then all the way back to the left again. With a full or nearly full hit, it should just back up a bit, more or less up the center of the table.

The cloth does seem a little slow, and perhaps the rack wasn't tight (too many gaps). But from this example, it looks as if a lot of the cueball's energy is being wasted.

Jim

Dagwood
07-22-2007, 10:23 PM
I have to agree that he's not hitting the head ball solidly, but if you look at the decelleration of the cueball towards the end of the roll, it slows down remarkably fast. That is where I was drawing my conclusions from...I really think it has more to do with cloth, climate conditions, and possibly the level of the table. but you're right, in this example at least, there wasn't very solid contact with the head ball, which will not give a great spread of the balls.

Dags

cuetangclan
07-23-2007, 03:34 AM
Check your rack. Make sure all the balls are touching, Even if there loose by mere fraction they won't spread. If at that point they're still not spreading then take everyone else's advice.

tnewson
07-23-2007, 05:33 AM
Hi there,

Wow wasn't expecting this much help /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif thanks everyone!

Ive looked at the cloth and there is a horizontal grain in the cloth and is really quite bubbly, It also damages really really easily /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif. I have been looking under the table and the fram seems ok but i have noticed that the bed is the whole size of the table and is glue'd to frame, so i dont think it will be easy to change the cloth! I have been looking at simonis speed cloth and its cheaper than i thought! (around 40 for a 7x4) and i think ill get it!

Yeah i am rather new to pool so i thought some of it would be down to my lack of skill but when playing (not breaking) the balls barley roll... you really have to spank them to get them going anywhere!

I will check out whether the table is level also as i susspect it isnt.

Other than that i have gained a quote for a re-cloth and was given the price of 150 ($307.68) which isnt far off the price of the table would taking on the task of re-clothing be to big of a challenge for a novice?

Thanks again for all the help /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Regards

Tom

DeadCrab
07-23-2007, 07:00 AM
Check these links to see if you want to try it yourself:

Good links for building/covering pool tables:

http://www.champbilliards.com/ (instructions)
http://www.mzanetti.ch/pooltable/Pages/Printed_version_pdf.pdf
http://www.calspas.com/billiards/manuals_bars_and_billiards.htm
http://www.refelting.com/cushions.htm

ras314
07-24-2007, 02:39 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Dagwood:</font><hr> if you look at the decelleration of the cueball towards the end of the roll, it slows down remarkably fast.
Dags <hr /></blockquote>
I agree, that table looks really slow. Might try restretching the cloth and checking humidity.

wolfdancer
07-26-2007, 02:12 AM
I've seen one other table play like that....it was a nice 10 ft antique Brunswick....but somewhere along the line, it ended up with the wrong height on the rail cushions....not far off, but it killed the speed.
On his table though, I'm pretty sure that cloth is at least 100 grit....or maybe it's Velcro???