PDA

View Full Version : Taking care of my cue stick

teliman
07-24-2007, 12:42 PM
I would up getting myself a McDermott cue. Should I be doing anything to the shaft for cleaning/keeping it smooth? I've always just wiped my old sticks down with a damp paper towel and then followed up with a dry one. When I check online for shaft accessories, I see a ton of other stuff available. What do people "in the know" like to use?

underdog
07-24-2007, 02:04 PM
I have found the best thing is a "magic eraser" with some rubbing alcohol on it cleans the shaft better than anything else.

teliman
07-24-2007, 02:08 PM
Hey, I've got some of that. You're talking about the Mr. Clean stuff, right?

bsmutz
07-24-2007, 02:47 PM
Yep, that's it. Mr. Clean slightly damp will clean your shaft like nobody's business. Don't use it on the bottom half, though. Just a clean, almost dry cloth to wipe it down then a dry one. If you use water on your Magic Eraser, follow up with a dry cloth and buff it until it is warm with a piece of leather to get the moisture out.

Dagwood
07-24-2007, 02:55 PM
I've always used the damp paper towel folloed up by dry. If I haven't done anything to the shaft at all, I'll take some 2000 grit sand paper and go over the shaft lightly before the damp cloth. After drying the shaft off, I'll go ahead and apply some cue silk. (if you can find it anymore. I think it's been replaced by Q-Slick). It'll protect your shaft and provide a nice smooth surface.

Dags

Sig
07-24-2007, 04:08 PM
I use Q-wiz. If you haven't seen it, it's a little disc with two sides. I use the rougher side lightly then burnish with the smooth side. Pretty much all I need.

It won't get all the chalk off but usually I find that's not necessary.

teliman
07-24-2007, 05:27 PM
Thanks for the tips!