PDA

View Full Version : HTML

Drop1
07-24-2007, 09:24 PM
Any pointers,on how to learn how to use it? I have to learn this stuff,and to create a web page.

eg8r
07-25-2007, 06:56 AM
How complex does your website need to be? For a beginner there are plenty of WYSIWYG editors out there. You don't even need to know anything about html if you use one of them.

You can also Google for HTML tutorials, and there are tons of them on the web.

If it gets bad enough, you could always just put it together in a word doc and save as html.

eg8r

moblsv
07-25-2007, 05:26 PM
http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/Guide/

Use the instructions and tools from w3c.org, this is the standard. Please, do not use anything Internet Explorer specific.

Drop1
07-25-2007, 08:28 PM
Thanks Ed,
What are WYSIWYG editors?

Drop1
07-25-2007, 08:45 PM
Thanks for the answer. Is there an advantage to being able to work with html,over buying a program like "Dream Works"

Chopstick
07-26-2007, 08:13 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Drop1:</font><hr> Thanks for the answer. Is there an advantage to being able to work with html,over buying a program like "Dream Works" <hr /></blockquote>

It can give you a head start in learning. Use a general code generator to generate the bulk of your page then you can look at the code and see how it works and customize it from there.

I would check out the free ones first before I bought one. I don't do web stuff but I have been coding for about 25 years. Using a generator will be a big advantage in getting you off the ground.

eg8r
07-26-2007, 08:58 AM
Sorry, it means...What you see is what you get. Dreamweaver, Frontpage, etc are WYSIWYG editors. Notepad would not be considered WYSIWYG but you can get the same end result. I have not looked at them in a few years but there used to be some very inexpensive to free editors available.

eg8r

eg8r
07-26-2007, 09:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Using a generator will be a big advantage in getting you off the ground. <hr /></blockquote> This is what the WYSIWG editors do for you. For example, lets say you want to bold some text on your page. In WSYIWYG you would just type some text. Blah blah blah. If you want to bold the second "blah" you would just click the "bold" button. All the code is generated in the background.

If you wanted to type out all the code you would have to type &lt;p&gt;blah &lt;b&gt;blah&lt;/b&gt; blah&lt;/p&gt;. The editor creates this for you.

One giant advantage to using tools like Dreamweaver or Frontpage (I hate Frontpage) is that when in code view, the code is color coded. This makes it very easy to see what is going on. For example...If you used notepad to write all your code (including comments for all the good students) and you forget a closing comment tag, it would take you a little while to hunt down the problem (everything would be commented out). However in one of the editors all the code after the open comment would be colored gray.

eg8r &lt;~~~longtime user of dreamweaver

moblsv
07-26-2007, 10:22 AM
Most likely you can find a free editor that will work for you needs. (Sorry, I do my HTML in emacs, which means I don't actually use them, so I don't have any suggestions). The WYSIWYG editors are a good way to learn and are good for rapid development. Generally a WYSIWYG editor will get you a decent looking, functional page very quickly. Then you can extend the code it generates into a finished product. Even some of our veteran UI developers use these, so it is not like you are just using a 'beginners' tool.

Once you have some basic pages made you can also use the code these editors generate for you own learning.

Should you ever need to get into scripting, JAVA, php, cold-fusion or whatever other technology, the same thing usually applies. There are many good development environments you can use to get the job done quickly and learn from. Lately I have been trying to look into these more myself and have switched much of my programming from emacs to Eclipse. In fact, I would actually be surprised if there isn't a good HTML extension for eclipse.