PDA

View Full Version : DEAD ZONE!

CarolNYC
02-24-2002, 08:56 PM
Has anyone in a tournament ever played well, then hit a total deadzone where you cannot make even the easiest shot? If so, how did you get out of it?
Gayle from MD,Rich R. and Ken, I HAD A GREAT TIME WITH YOU ALL at the CAT tour in Maryland! Already I miss you guys-hey, how ya doin?ha ha ha ha!(Well Im just doing fine!)ha ha ha
Carol~Cant wait for Valley Forge!

02-24-2002, 09:03 PM
I have been in that area where I am running out several racks during a match and then get to the next one and absolutely couldn't play safe/run two in a row. That was mostly sweating the player I was playing instead of playing the match.

Todd <--wishes he lived on the east coast, so he could watch you all play.

Ken
02-24-2002, 09:25 PM
So Carol, does this mean that you didn't get to play Kelly Yomama today? Sounds like you needed to get roughed up some more.

Did you hear who won? I think Linda was the pick of the CAT litter and would be surprised if she didn't win.
Ken

jjinfla
02-24-2002, 09:36 PM
A mighty big airport you got there. Jake

cheesemouse
02-24-2002, 10:07 PM
CarolNYC,
If you don't mind me asking.... what was happening just before the dead zone shadow fell over you? Were you in the middle of a match, coming off a long break, were you watching other matches while you waited for your next match or doing some other notable thing?
The C/mouse is curios so he probes /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

Rich R.
02-24-2002, 10:41 PM
Hey Carol, "How ya doin'"

You got home faster than me. We just left Champions at 10:00. The final match was still going on, Linda Shea was up 4 to 2 against Sueyen Rhee. We hated to leave, but 4 am comes very early in the morning. LOL.

Liz defeated Kelly O. for a second time to knock her out of the tournament. Unfortunately, Liz played Linda next and Linda did not make an error.

It was great meeting you and your family, as well as Gail and her husban, the Queen of Mean, Ken from Ct. and Dr. D.
Dr. D. I'm ready for a rematch the next time we meet. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

We had a great weekend, meeting great people and watching some great pool at the Chesapeake Area Tour. We hope we can make it to more of their events. It was a class operation.
Rich R.~~~loves to play and watch pool.

02-25-2002, 01:56 AM
Carol I have a comforting thing to tell you.In the last 2 weeks I watched Karen Corr gamble with a good regional male player for a sizeable amount of money.First of all i want to say that I love her game and she is an awesome player but guess what?She totally hit the dead zone you are referring to in your post.She was playing 10 ball and her opponent had a huge break and is a very powerful player.Karen, although she is a great player,is not real powerful.The first set was real close early with both players playing great safes and grinding it out real well but soon the guys break clicked in and he put together several racks on her.Karen clearly couldnt do what this guy did with his world class break and guess what?She got unbelieveably weak.She lost three sets quite badly and played far under her normal speed.It was a real lesson for me to watch.The pressure of playing someone a little too overpowering for her made the very best woman player hit the total dead zone for 2 straight hours.She made so many uncharacteristic errors that she would never make if playing a player of lesser skills.The point of this long report on the match is that even the best players hit a dead zone,not just amateurs.How to overcome it?Put yourself under the heat again and again and have the courage and heart to fail and learn from your mistakes.Karen Corr has more heart than any woman I have ever seen cause she gets up and bangs heads with great players.I am sure that she will keep getting better and if she can develop some more power might even become as good as many top men players.I hope my post isnt too long or wordy for you but I am new to this and am really am quite a blabber mouth.Keep putting yourself in the heat and soon you will thrive in it and the dead zone will become the Carol Zone.Good luck!

CarolNYC
02-25-2002, 05:32 AM
Hi there,
Thank you for that comforting tale! Wow,I just NEVER hit such a deadzone in a match and I mean, so brutal that ball in hand on the 8 and miss the 9! UGH UGH UGH!BRUTAL!I will remember your words and ONTO THE NEXT!
Thank you!
Carol

CarolNYC
02-25-2002, 05:46 AM
RICH,
You and Kathy are the BEST! Thank you so much for your support while I was playing, that was great!Hope you can make it again May4-5- its the Maryland State Championship and the "Queen of Mean" must try to defend her title,ha ha ha-and my brothers 9-11-01 memory FDNY shirt says "The Nuthouse" (where I belong in,ha ha ha) with the twin towers,flag and the helmet Engine 214,Ladder 111 "Champions of Courage In the Eyes of the WORLD"-you and Kathy are gonna like it,I hope and play that number 214!Cant wait to be together again! Jim and I LOVE you guys!
All our love always,
Carol~next time give me a harder slap!ha ha ha!

CarolNYC
02-25-2002, 05:50 AM
Hi there,
Excellent question!Just came off a match, ran into a few people and focused on "I have to beat this player" rather than just "Play my game!"You hit it on the nail!On to playing my game!
Carol

CarolNYC
02-25-2002, 05:51 AM
Hey Jake,
JFK or La Guardia?:)
Carol

CarolNYC
02-25-2002, 05:57 AM
Hello there Ken my friend,
Thanks for the slap in the face-I think you broke my jaw!ha ha ha-but I hammered my way through that losers bracket after that! /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif
But sadly to say, I placed in the 9/12th bracket and got my entry fee back-Kelly was my deadzone-I know Sueyen received a qualifier and probably Linda,not sure-have to go to AZ billiards or the CAT tour to see results!
It was a pleasure to see you Ken-thank god for this board-it brings so many people together!
Take good care of yourself!I'll need you again the next time!
All my best,
Carol

CarolNYC
02-25-2002, 06:01 AM
Hi Todd,
Ha Ha Ha-at least you ran two racks-I didnt run one and only won one game!I also wish you were in the east!
take care!
Carol

Rich R.
02-25-2002, 06:12 AM
Forgetaboutit!! /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif We loved being there. Some great pool to watch and some great people to spend time with. Thanks for the mug, Cathy and I will cherish it. We hope to spend some time at the May tournament, but we'll be seeing you in VF first. Looking forward to it.

The next time you get BIH on the 8 and miss the 9, I won't slap you, I'll knock you out. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif Rich R.~~~looking forward to seeing Carol again.

Rich R.
02-25-2002, 06:19 AM
Carol and Ken, I heard Linda say that she was not taking the Qualifier. I think she may already be in the field for VF. I'm not sure who got that spot. Nothing on AZbilliards yet. Rich R.

02-25-2002, 10:49 AM
Hi Carol,
I've been in this deadzone and can say it's not fun. After banging my head with the house cues awhile I've came to the conclusion it was looking at the big picture. I was looking at the outcome instead of concentrating on the shot I was shooting.

I thought I was aiming at the shot but thinking about everything but. It's impossible to think about anything when your down on a ball except the shot your shooting. If you do than 100% of the focus required to make the ball becomes more like 30%. What I do now is repeat the word control in my mind. If I do this before getting down on the ball to shoot I know I have to do what it takes to stay there in control.

If you talk to anyone at the time you find them in this deadzone. They'll tell you they don't have a clue of what's happening to them. When really their mind is on the first shot they missed and the next shot and the next.

When all they really have to do is fahgetaboutit. Forget about the shot they missed and what their opponents going to do when they get up to bat. They need to think to themselves, all I have to do is make just one ball. This one, and nothing else.
Regards,
C.C.~~cain't wait to cheer for Carol while she plays.....

CarolNYC
02-25-2002, 01:26 PM
Hey CC,
YOU ARE SOOO RIGHT! Thats exactly what I was doing-saying "Damn, I missed such an easy shot" rather than "Fuhgeheggaboudit,its history" Boy your on the money! Thanks so much!
Take care of yourself!
Carol

CarolNYC
02-25-2002, 01:28 PM
HEY RICH,
Your correct-so its Sueyen and Liz!
Carol

02-25-2002, 01:35 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Anonymous:</font><hr> Carol I have a comforting thing to tell you.In the last 2 weeks I watched Karen Corr gamble with a good regional male player for a sizeable amount of money.First of all i want to say that I love her game and she is an awesome player but guess what?She totally hit the dead zone you are referring to in your post.She was playing 10 ball and her opponent had a huge break and is a very powerful player.Karen, although she is a great player,is not real powerful.The first set was real close early with both players playing great safes and grinding it out real well but soon the guys break clicked in and he put together several racks on her.Karen clearly couldnt do what this guy did with his world class break and guess what?She got unbelieveably weak.She lost three sets quite badly and played far under her normal speed.It was a real lesson for me to watch.The pressure of playing someone a little too overpowering for her made the very best woman player hit the total dead zone for 2 straight hours.She made so many uncharacteristic errors that she would never make if playing a player of lesser skills.The point of this long report on the match is that even the best players hit a dead zone,not just amateurs.How to overcome it?Put yourself under the heat again and again and have the courage and heart to fail and learn from your mistakes.Karen Corr has more heart than any woman I have ever seen cause she gets up and bangs heads with great players.I am sure that she will keep getting better and if she can develop some more power might even become as good as many top men players.I hope my post isnt too long or wordy for you but I am new to this and am really am quite a blabber mouth.Keep putting yourself in the heat and soon you will thrive in it and the dead zone will become the Carol Zone.Good luck! <hr></blockquote>

Who was Karen playing? I would be surprised if she got hustled, as she knows alot of the Regional guys from the Joss tour!

02-25-2002, 05:20 PM
I'm interested in hearing about it too. Maybe it was Al Lapena? He's known to put up alot of cabbage on a match.

Rod
02-27-2002, 12:08 AM
Carol, I saw the movie 2 nights ago, The Dead Zone.
You may not want to shake his hand.
Hope this helps,

CarolNYC
02-27-2002, 04:35 AM
Hi there Rod,
Maybe i need to touch Christopher Walkens hand-then he can say "Your not playing YOUR GAME and having fun!" ha ha ha-or, I can always think of the deer hunter "ONE SHOT!"ha ha ha
Thanks Rod-stay well!
Carol