PDA

View Full Version : CONGRATS DEEMAN ON YOUR BOOK!!

Fran Crimi
07-26-2007, 08:41 AM
Hey Dee,

I just read George Fels's review on your book in the July issue of BD. WOW! I didn't even know you wrote a book. I can't wait to see it. What a great review!

George wrote that you are a 'terrific writer' --- the ultimate compliment from a writer such as Fels!!!

Congrats again and best of luck! Do we purchase copies directly from you? I want one.

Fran

dr_dave
07-26-2007, 10:19 AM
Deeman,

I want one too. Is it for sale yet?

Dave

wolfdancer
07-26-2007, 10:21 AM
From Dee's posts, and from the occasional pm that he writes (when he's not too busy fitting car doors on the assembly line)...He's a terrific story teller, and caps off each tale, with a good punch line.
Course that's only my untrained opinion...when you get a nod from a George Fels....you're in pretty elite company (GF is one of my favorite writers)
Oprah will be next in line to review the book...!!!

Deeman3
07-26-2007, 10:27 AM
Fran,

Thank-you so much. P.M. me your address and I'll stick one in the mail. I'd never charge my favorite Pro player. Besides, I learned about half of it from you over the years. I'm in the process of doing a little editing but the copy you get is very close to the final product.

I do take George's compliment as encouraging as I consider him the most enjoyable pool writer and have, for years, turned to his article, first thing in BD. Tori says, "Why do you read your Billiard Digest backwards?" I say, "If you have to ask, you won't understand."

Thanks again

wolfdancer
07-26-2007, 10:41 AM
Dr. Dave, my stealth copy is for sale to the highest bidder....the first and second printings are already sold out, so this may be your only chance....
Here's something that may tweak your curiosity a bit...
The Gyroball...
web page (http://webusers.npl.uiuc.edu/~a-nathan/pob/PhysicsGyro.htm)
and I thought the physics involved in a pool shot, was over my head....

SPetty
07-26-2007, 12:03 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dr_dave:</font><hr> I want one too. <hr /></blockquote>Who doesn't? Put me down for one as well.

dg-in-centralpa
07-26-2007, 12:19 PM
I also would like one. Just let me know how much and where to send the money.

DG /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

dr_dave
07-26-2007, 01:33 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> Dr. Dave, my stealth copy is for sale to the highest bidder....the first and second printings are already sold out, so this may be your only chance....<hr /></blockquote>OK. I'll start the bidding at $0.01. Now, if nobody bids higher than me, I'll expect you to honor your promise.
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr>Here's something that may tweak your curiosity a bit...

The Gyroball...
web page (http://webusers.npl.uiuc.edu/~a-nathan/pob/PhysicsGyro.htm)
and I thought the physics involved in a pool shot, was over my head.... <hr /></blockquote>I teach a graduate-level advanced dynamics course. We cover that kind of stuff. Start brushing up on your Calculus, Differential Equations, and dynamics, and maybe you can come to Fort Collins to take the course one of these days.

Catch you later,
Dave

dr_dave
07-26-2007, 01:35 PM
Deeman,

Please PM me the purchase info so I can get a copy.

Thanks,
Dave

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman3:</font><hr> Fran,

Thank-you so much. P.M. me your address and I'll stick one in the mail. I'd never charge my favorite Pro player. Besides, I learned about half of it from you over the years. I'm in the process of doing a little editing but the copy you get is very close to the final product.

I do take George's compliment as encouraging as I consider him the most enjoyable pool writer and have, for years, turned to his article, first thing in BD. Tori says, "Why do you read your Billiard Digest backwards?" I say, "If you have to ask, you won't understand."

Thanks again <hr /></blockquote>

Dagwood
07-26-2007, 03:25 PM
Another interested buyer right here...shoot all that mailing mumbo jumbo over here too.

Dags

Tom_In_Cincy
07-26-2007, 04:19 PM
And you finally got it published?... wow..

Congrats. can't wait... oh.. I guess I already waited..

BigRigTom
07-26-2007, 04:29 PM
Me too, me too, me too, me too......

Congratulations Deeman!
Sounds like a book that may give Dr. Dave's a run for the money.
We are priveledged to be aquainted with such literary prowess!

Please add me to your email lists and I want to buy one too.

pooltchr
07-26-2007, 05:12 PM
Dee...sign me up as well.
Steve

Deeman3
07-27-2007, 07:22 AM
Tom,

No, this a completely different book from the one a couple of years ago. That was a fictional story about pool that I never even tried to distribute, more a work for myself.

I just did this thing a few weeks ago on a whim and have not published it. I was just feeling the water for this type of instructional book and had asked a couple of people on here to review it. George was gratious enough to include it in his column this month. Publish it? I don't know. I love writing but I don't know that I have any interest in showing up and hawking it at trade shows and the like. Any of you that have delt with the fantasy of writing and publishing know the struggles of doing something, editing it, getting it published and such. That's even if it is for a wide enough audience to have value and appeal. Now, that is a credit to those writers who do have wide appeal plus a subject matter that casts a wide enough net for the general pool playing population and I'm not sure this instructional book meets those criteria that well.

I am sending copies to those of my old buddies here who have requested them and will send other requests early next week as I get back to my computer and make some more copies this weekend.

As for writing. I have written several books, only technical and management articles and such being published. I have insomnia, writing helps. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chopstick
07-27-2007, 08:07 AM
Hand over the DeeBook ya varmit.

http://www.math.ku.edu/~evanvleck/yosemite.gif

BigRigTom
07-27-2007, 09:07 AM
Deeman you should check this web site:

Lulu.com for Self Publishing a book FREE! (http://www.lulu.com/)

Leo Leporte the tech guy on AM Radio here in Southern California mentioned this site on his show one time I was listening to him.
They have a great system for people who have a boook like you describe. I have not actually published a book on it but I have read a lot of the instructions because I am considering doing it someday.
If nothing else all your fans here on the CCB could go online and order your book and it wouldn't be such a hassle for you to make copies.
At least that is their claim.....good luck with the book however you choose to get it out.
Hope I can get a copy eventually.....too.

Chopstick
07-27-2007, 09:43 AM
Sell it in PDF format for five or ten bucks less that the printed version. They can download it and print it their selves. No publisher needed.

Deeman3
07-27-2007, 10:22 AM
As I recall the last time we met up, you beat me in the finals. Why should I give a varmit like you more ammo? PM me the address you before you shoot your foot off.... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Deeman3
07-27-2007, 10:33 AM
Tom,

Thanks. I might consider something like that in the future. I'm just not much on vanity publishing and will wait until I get a little more feedback and probably do a little more editing. I actually worked on one book for about 6 years but finished one 178 pager in 6 days when I was retired. When you retire at 45, you get easily bored. If I had not gone back to work, I'd be divorced, dead or on class "A" narcotics now. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif