PDA

View Full Version : Retip Tools

Koenig
07-26-2007, 05:20 PM
Anyone experienced with the Porper big shaver and/or the mushroom grazer. Or anything else.

Does the M.G. do the trick? Easy to use?

IŽm thinking about the big shaver but is it necessary if IŽll only use it to shave?

Many thanks in advance..

Dagwood
07-26-2007, 10:28 PM
they work, but you have to really be carefull about your ferrulle with these tools. It's very easy to scratch it up trying to get a good shave on your tip. If give the choice though, I'll just get a drill bit that fits my shaft, put it on a variable speed drill and sand the mushroom off personally....works better and there's less chance of gouging the ferrule.

Dags

Chopstick
07-27-2007, 08:33 AM
I bought a big shaver. It doesn't work. You can't get the screw tight enough to hold the ferrule right. I have another Porper mushroom shaver also. The smaller version, I forget what it is called. It doesn't work either.

Koenig
07-30-2007, 01:35 PM
Sounds scary *gulp*. Well IŽll take my chances with the big one. Heard lots of good things about it on az etc.

If it can take 30 minutes of my retipping time its a blessing, after all my company pays the check.

I can do a decent job now but trimming the tip takes forever and I donŽt like cutting either.

IŽll let you know what I think.

Thanks a lot for responses guys!

wolfdancer
07-30-2007, 01:46 PM
Buy the $3500 Porper lathe...it does a great job, and depending on how fast you go thru tips....it'll pay for itself in no time (wasn't there a joke here recently about a guy that didn't pay for something, because the ad said it would pay for itself?)
There was a nice tool for retipping...the Williard's device...at $150, which is about what I paid for it, it was ok...last time I looked though, they wanted $350....
I also tried the Porper tools, with limited success

Koenig
07-30-2007, 09:30 PM
I do tips now with great success. Just that the rough trimming takes too long. Why did you have limited success? A lathe is coming up for sure, just building up my nerve..

1Time
08-01-2007, 03:26 AM
I have not done any re-tipping, but maybe this would be a good way to protect the ferrule from being damaged when working on the side of the tip. Put cellophane tape around the ferrule. Then put layers of duct tape over the cellophane. Just line up the edge of the tape between the ferrule and tip. It then should be farily simple to pull the tape off without mucking up the ferrule.

bluey2king
08-01-2007, 10:59 AM
Could you explain more about how you put your shaft in the drill chuck?
I have Predator 314 with a Uni-Loc joint and a Moori Medium tip and I notice that it mushrooms a little more than my last tip.
I am tempted to try this but I am scared to put this shaft in a drill chuck.
Does this method have the shaft wobble out at the tip?
Thanks
Bluey2King

DeadCrab
08-01-2007, 12:13 PM
See these threads over at the "Brand X" forum:

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=55871&highlight=drill+chuck
http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=54938&highlight=drill+chuck

ras314
08-02-2007, 06:40 PM
I have used both the big shaver and the mushroom grazer. They are difficult to use with a smaller than 13 mm ferrule but it can be done.

A quite usable and cheap set up for solid (non laminated) tips would be a sharp razor blade to cut the tip close to size after being glued on, and the M.G. to finish the job. Set the shaft pointed down on a block of wood and use a razor blade or exacto knife to shave small slices a time off, then use the ms carefully to trim to fit the ferrule. A file with a bit of care can do a good job of shaping the tip to nickel or dime curvature. I don't like the store bought tip grinders, maybe others have better luck.

With laminated tips it is quite important to use sharp tools of what ever kind you have, including lathes.

If you use ivory ferrules and $20 plus tips, get a pro to do the work.

Koenig
08-03-2007, 01:39 AM
Man, those UPS-guys are fast! I received the big shaver and still working on "cutting it". I mainly do tips at about $15 or so. Sure some LePro etc..

For now it takes even longer with the big S. but I will do some more house cues to work it out. Or not.

Thanks for the input, this forum may not be dead after all. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif