PDA

View Full Version : I'm a tall guy ... who makes factory 60 inch cues

Snyder1
07-28-2007, 09:33 AM
As a tall guy, I find I'm always holding the cue near the end of the wrap (sometimes off the wrap). I think a longer cue would benefit me ... only thing is that at my level I can't justify much more than $150 or so. Anybody know of any non-custom manufacturers that offer longer cues in this price range ? Thanks ...

John

Snapshot9
07-28-2007, 09:41 AM
Well, the first problem is that you are asking for a special order cue, 60", and the second is the $150 price tag you have on it.

Just how tall are you?

A cuemaker here in Wichita, and a friend of mine, Dennis Cash, makes a nice looking cue that is 60" for $250.
Cash cues (http://www.cashcues.com/index.html)

It is the first cue listed, with a buckhorn joint.

Snyder1
07-28-2007, 06:48 PM
Thx for the link ... I'm 6'1". I think I'd do better with a longer cue - I tend to lean way over.

John

Jal
07-28-2007, 07:14 PM
Viking offers optional lengths. You can get some of their cues for under $200, and they give the add on price for a non-standard length as $15 & up.

http://www.vikingcue.com/pages/cues/optionpricing.html

Jim

Billy
07-28-2007, 07:42 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Snyder1:</font><hr> As a tall guy, I find I'm always holding the cue near the end of the wrap (sometimes off the wrap). I think a longer cue would benefit me ... only thing is that at my level I can't justify much more than $150 or so. Anybody know of any non-custom manufacturers that offer longer cues in this price range ? Thanks ...

John <hr /></blockquote>

see if you can locate Dave Bollman at Q Master Billiards in Virginia Beach. he makes cues as well as being an excellent player, and he's also tall so possibly may have some personal 60 or 61" cues for sale

would think it would be worth a call anyway ...

jmo

ceebee
07-28-2007, 08:24 PM
John Parker of Auerbach Custom Cues makes cues that long &amp; longer. John makes a great Cue for the "NICE PRICE". Go see www.auerbachcustomcues.com (http://www.auerbachcustomcues.com)

canadan
07-30-2007, 12:51 AM
Well predator make 30" Shafts that should bring you to about 59" Dont remember how much the shafts are but I think under $200 US. Plus they make lots of joints so you might find one that fits your cue. Unless its a cue tec for some reason then maybe not.

okinawa77
07-30-2007, 04:13 PM
Snyder1, $150 is not very much to work with. You might be able to get a local cue maker to put together a sneaky pete for that price. Or if you feel adventurous, I have known some people to take 2 house cues and saw them up to make a custom two piece.

Snapshot9
08-01-2007, 11:04 AM
Not to belittle you in any way, but 6'1" is not tall, and certainly not tall enough for a 60" cue. I have played 45 years, and I would say you should not consider going to a
60" cue unless you are at least 6'6" tall.

I would willing to bet that you just need some instruction as to the proper form and mechanics.

Many players often grip the cue behind the 'wrap', and quite a few even on the butt end of the cue. I know you think it will be just like a 58" except longer, but take from me, there are other things that come into play, and effect feel, balance, and how it hits.

Jal
08-01-2007, 11:41 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Snapshot9:</font><hr> Not to belittle you in any way, but 6'1" is not tall, and certainly not tall enough for a 60" cue. I have played 45 years, and I would say you should not consider going to a
60" cue unless you are at least 6'6" tall.

I would willing to bet that you just need some instruction as to the proper form and mechanics.

Many players often grip the cue behind the 'wrap', and quite a few even on the butt end of the cue. I know you think it will be just like a 58" except longer, but take from me, there are other things that come into play, and effect feel, balance, and how it hits. <hr /></blockquote>You indicated a few things that might be affected by a longer cue, but it's still not clear as to why he should stay with the shorter length. I'm about his height and my 57" cue just didn't feel right (okay, the standard is now 58"). So I extended it to nearly 60", adding wood to the base of the shaft, and haven't regretted it at all. It now seems "properly proportioned."

One advantage of a longer cue is to negate a potential disadvantage that taller players have: the effect of any sideways force (swoop) is magnified the farther back your grip hand is from your bridge. A longer cue will counteract this by providing more resistance to rotation about the bridge.

However, your game is probably several levels above mine, so I'd like to hear more detail as to why this may not have been a good idea.

Jim

bsmutz
08-01-2007, 12:07 PM
I'm just under 6'1" and play with a 60" Schmelke cue. I like it. A 58" cue just feels too short to me. I'm sure you can get a 60" cue from Schmelke for $150. Check them out at www.schmelkecue.com. (http://www.schmelkecue.com.) Call Dave Schmelke at the number on their site and talk to him. I'm sure they'll work with you to get you what you want at a very reasonable price.

okinawa77
08-01-2007, 01:02 PM
Snapshot9,

I disagree with your statements, and here is why:

1. Gripping the end of the cue causes the feel of the cue to change from a smooth gliding cue to a Louisville slugger baseball bat. The balance point is about 4 inches from the beginning of the wrap/grip on most production cues. According to Willie Mosconi, your hand should be placed 6-8 inches behind the balance point. I don't think Mosconi just pulled this concept out of thin air. I have experimented with adjusting my grip in relation to the balance point, and I can speak from personal experience that it changes the way the cue feels and performs. You may not see it on "snap" strokes, but using more advanced strokes will show you the difference.

2. Mechanics: If you think about this logically, on impact of the cue ball, ideally the cue tip should contact the cue ball with your bridge hand 6-8 inches away from the cue ball, and your back swing arm should be vertical on impact. Therefore, to find the exact length of cue a player should be using, take a measuring stick and hold it like a cue upon impact of the cue ball. Your swinging arm would land at the ideal length of the middle of the wrap/grip.

A 57-58 inch cue for someone 6'1 is like if an adult were to play with a jump cue.

A common (approximate) way to determine the correct length of a cue is to stand it next to the player, and the cue tip should touch the bottom of the players chin.

In my opinion, the ideal cue length would be between 61-63 inches for a player that is 6'1.

6'1=73inches
73/4=18.25
18.25-73=54.75 (This is wingspan (height) with swing arm at moment of impact.)
54.75+6=60.75 ( +6 or 8 for the distance from bridge to cue ball.)

This calculation is simplified. To be true to the theory, subtracting the players finger lengths for both hands will give the ideal length from the cue tip to the grip hand, but then you must add the length of the end of the cue...which is about the same length of the players finger length. Therefore, the finger length and end of the cue negate each other.

Selecting the length of a cue is like having a suit custom tailored. Production cues are made at an established length based of the average height of consumers. It is a business decision that maximizes sales.

Having a cue that is too short limits your capabilities, just as wearing pants or a shirt that is too small.

Snyder1
08-01-2007, 06:59 PM
Thanks guys ... the info will definitely be helpful in my quest.

John

Stones
08-06-2007, 09:50 AM
Jack Kompan, a custom cuemaker in San Antonio, makes a very nice sneaky pete in the 59-60 inch range for around $150.

I play with Jack's cues and like the hit so much, I hung up a $1200 Schon that I had played with for 12 yrs.

He also have developed one of the best jump cue out there, IMO. Also, I have never seen a cuemaker that stood behind his products as much as Jack does. Customer satisfaction is his number one priority.

Give him a call. (210) 404-9852

Stones

slow_roller
08-06-2007, 03:17 PM
I'm 6'4", and I play [modestly well] with a standard 59" cue. Were I to use okinawa77's advice, I'd be paying someone to create a 65"-67" cue (and perhaps dropping a bit more $ for a custom cue case). I've never heard of a cue that long, but maybe such exist. Do any of you more experienced players feel that such a length cue could be made to play well? What about even longer ones for even taller folks? Seems like at a certain point you have just adapt yourself to the more-or-less standard sized cues. I feel like I've done so pretty well, and I try for a compact backstroke, which helps. I've thought about trying some kind of extension, to see if it felt better, before considering an extra-long custom cue, but have received advice that such would throw off balance.

canadan
08-07-2007, 05:43 PM
just to but in again make sure your case fits the cue. Never know you might need a new case too....

Snapshot9
08-08-2007, 06:37 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Snyder1:</font><hr> As a tall guy, I find I'm always holding the cue near the end of the wrap (sometimes off the wrap). I think a longer cue would benefit me ... only thing is that at my level I can't justify much more than $150 or so. Anybody know of any non-custom manufacturers that offer longer cues in this price range ? Thanks ...

I have played against tall guys in my 45 years of playing, and when I was a kid, 15, in Dodge City where I grew up, I played against a 7'1" Basketball player from New Jersey that attended St. Mary of the Plains College at the time.

He played very good, and his waist was higher than my chest, but his form and stroke were exactly by the book at the time, and he played with a 58" cue. Although his back had a downward slant to it, his form, stance, the way he gripped the cue, bridged, everything was textbook.

I just have a hard time believing players that are much shorter than him when they say they have problems with stance and stroke. I just think they would benefit much more from some proper instruction rather than a longer cue.
And 6'1" is not tall in my books. I am 5'7", BTW.

John <hr /></blockquote>