PDA

View Full Version : New Pro

donedeal
07-30-2007, 06:09 PM
I am considering paying my fee and turning pro. Can anyone tell me if you have to beat somebody completly like get out of the first round in a major tournament to get a world ranking, do you get a ranking by winning a game like losing 10-1 in a race to 10, or do you get ranked simply by paying your entry fee and showing up?
Thanks

Bob_Jewett
07-30-2007, 06:19 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote donedeal:</font><hr> I am considering paying my fee and turning pro. Can anyone tell me if you have to beat somebody completly like get out of the first round in a major tournament to get a world ranking, do you get a ranking by winning a game like losing 10-1 in a race to 10, or do you get ranked simply by paying your entry fee and showing up?
Thanks <hr /></blockquote>
If you are in the US, the organization that establishes rankings for the men is the UPA. http://www.upatour.com/ So far as I know, the UPA rankings don't carry over to world rankings.

Where do you live?

donedeal
07-30-2007, 06:26 PM
I'm in Florida. What I mean is the UPA rankings. What is the criteria for getting some sort of a ranking with the UPA?

jjinfla
07-30-2007, 07:00 PM
You're kidding, right?

Jake

Deeman3
07-30-2007, 07:14 PM
Donedeal:

Just out of curosity, where do you play in Florida? How well do you play? Are you winning local and area tournaments? Have you ever played in a pro tournament? How are you fixed for money?

Bob_Jewett
07-30-2007, 07:18 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote donedeal:</font><hr> I'm in Florida. What I mean is the UPA rankings. What is the criteria for getting some sort of a ranking with the UPA? <hr /></blockquote>
I think that all you need to do is join and play in their events. Have you visited the web site yet? So far as I can tell, the US Open in Virginia is the next scheduled UPA event you could get into. I think you can enter that event without being a UPA member.

Have you tried playing in the Florida Tour events?

pooltchr
07-30-2007, 08:49 PM
Just out of curiosity...why? Do you want to turn pro so you can call yourself a professional pool player? Is it for the money you will make? (I hope not!!!) What would be different in your life if you were a "pro"? How will you benefit by getting the label of "professional pool player"? Will it make you better?
I'm just trying to understand what would motivate someone to aspire to be a professional pool player.
Don't get me wrong. I love the sport, I play it as often as I can, and I love teaching what I have learned over the years to others. I just don't see the appeal of being a "pro". Help me out here.
Steve

randyg
07-31-2007, 06:09 AM
Bobby Jones!....SPF=randyg

Chopstick
07-31-2007, 08:01 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote donedeal:</font><hr> I'm in Florida. What I mean is the UPA rankings. What is the criteria for getting some sort of a ranking with the UPA? <hr /></blockquote>

Beat everybody you meet and let the rankings take care of themselves.

Like Bob said, why don't you play the Florida Mens Pro tour? I do when I can. It's great experience. For $150 entry you play many of the top pros and have a decent shot at getting into the money. There is an event coming up in Sept. in Jacksonville. If you can survive against these guys, you are good to go anywhere.

I am thinking about playing in Jacksonville myself. I just got a new stick that I really like and I'm feelin froggy.

canadan
07-31-2007, 09:02 AM
thread jacker...
you say its not for the money...But what could a middle of the pack guy make...I know one guy from here plays in the canadian 30k tour I think hes at like $7000ish for the year... just playing this tourny. I know he played in the world 9 ball tourny. but Earl.S took him out fairly early. But could a avr pro make 40-$50000 a year at least? if so hen that wouldn't be too bad.

Deeman3
07-31-2007, 01:59 PM
It would be nice if an average pro could make $40`50K per year. It is not to be, for now.

Bob_Jewett
07-31-2007, 04:47 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote canadan:</font><hr> ... But what could a middle of the pack guy make... <hr /></blockquote>
Here's a list for 2007 for the top 20 players. http://www.azbilliards.com/thepros/2000thepros.cfm

Pretty tough competition to end up with $50k per year before expenses. Sponsorships, exhibitions and instruction can supplement the tournament winnings if the player is suited for those things.

pooltchr
07-31-2007, 06:15 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote randyg:</font><hr> Bobby Jones!....SPF=randyg <hr /></blockquote>

Point taken! Do you think anyone has ever, or ever will, achieve that level of success in pool?
To aspire to be the very best at whatever you do is certainly an admirable quality. To actually make it is a very rare thing. I'm still trying, although I know I still have a long journey ahead of me.
Steve
Steve

1Time
08-01-2007, 02:37 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Bob_Jewett:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote canadan:</font><hr> ... But what could a middle of the pack guy make... <hr /></blockquote>
Here's a list for 2007 for the top 20 players. http://www.azbilliards.com/thepros/2000thepros.cfm

Pretty tough competition to end up with $50k per year before expenses. Sponsorships, exhibitions and instruction can supplement the tournament winnings if the player is suited for those things. <hr /></blockquote>

The 2006 men's money listing shows 20th place won almost 68K. You'd probably need to place around 30th or better to make 50K. So if there's only 60 pros in the pack, then you're there.

jjinfla
08-01-2007, 07:14 AM
The 2006 money rankings is a tad skewed because of that rotten IPT tour.

If you live in Florida and have never heard of the Florida Pro Tour then you are kidding yourself about becoming a pro.

Go to Jax and talk with Charlie Williams, Tony Crosby, Rodney Morris, et al, and they will fill you in on what you have to do to call yourself a pro.

Of course if you want to play at Jax you better get your money in ahead of time. No money collected at the door and it is limited to the first 72.

Jake

Deeman3
08-01-2007, 07:17 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 1Time:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Bob_Jewett:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote canadan:</font><hr> ... But what could a middle of the pack guy make... <hr /></blockquote>

Pretty tough competition to end up with $50k per year before expenses. Sponsorships, exhibitions and instruction can supplement the tournament winnings if the player is suited for those things. <hr /></blockquote>

The 2006 men's money listing shows 20th place won almost 68K. You'd probably need to place around 30th or better to make 50K. So if there's only 60 pros in the pack, then you're there. <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue">1Time:

I believe you will find the 2006 numbers skewed by the short term inflation of the IPT. As Bob said, some can supplement this income with sponsorship and exhibitions but there are not many that are saleable, but more coming along with those qualities all the time. I believe, if number 30 is the average pro, it will be a very rough road to make a dependable income over the years. While a very few who are number 30 may assend to the top few, most will not be consistenty at that level for long. Even with the skills, its difficult to pay the expenses and make all the tournaments for very long, which is needed if you are to place that highly and have consistent chances of good money. It is a shame, but that's the way it is. </font color>

donedeal
08-01-2007, 09:45 AM
I live in Ft.Lauderdale. The Florida does sound inviting.

donedeal
08-01-2007, 09:48 AM
It has always been a dream of mine to see just how good I really am. I am now able to take the time and have the money to give it a go.
I have played pro's here and there thoughout my life and held my own.
On another note it would be a great accomplishment to have a national ranking.

BigRigTom
08-01-2007, 09:59 AM
donedeal it should be a DONE DEAL!
I you have the time and the money....what else do you need to enter OPEN's and compete with any and everybody until you are recognized or until you are throughly whipped and give it up.
Good luck to you.
We probably all wish we were in your shoes, I would difinitely give it a go if I had both the time and the money!

dave666
08-07-2007, 05:15 PM
PLEASE!!!! WE DON'T NEED ANYMORE PROS.... EVERYWHERE YOU LOOK THERE IS A PRO. PLEASE JUST BECOME A WORLD BEATER AND STAY WITH THE REST OF US. YOULL BE HAPPIER, UNLESS YOU ARE LOOKING TO BE A SHINY STAR. IF YOU LOVE THE GAME...PLAY THE GAME /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif