PDA

View Full Version : pool cues what kind of cue do u use most

billiards89
07-31-2007, 05:55 PM

1Time
07-31-2007, 07:32 PM
My Viking cue, model G06, 19.5 oz, 13mm, LePro tip (http://www.vikingcue.com/pages/cues/g06brown.html). Probably will switch the tip to a Tiger Sniper or a Talisman PRO medium.

Cydpkt
08-01-2007, 12:26 AM
I don't use any of the above mentioned. There are way too many cues and cue makers out there to cover all that are offered. It would be similar to if you had asked what type of tip do you use?

1Time
08-01-2007, 02:13 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cydpkt:</font><hr> I don't use any of the above mentioned. There are way too many cues and cue makers out there to cover all that are offered. It would be similar to if you had asked what type of tip do you use? <hr /></blockquote>

The purpose of this thread does not appear to be an attempt to cover all the different makers of cues.

Rather, it attempts to provide a way to compare the popularity of the named cues that are used the most by those who participate in this thread, and, a way to do the same between those named cue makers as a group with "other" cue makers.

Cydpkt
08-01-2007, 09:35 AM
The same person who started this post also made a post (on page 3) of who is the best cue manufacturer. Though these are different questions many people made comments similar to mine in this thread. Many people posting to that thread mentioned if they did or didn't use one of the cues offered.

Snapshot9
08-01-2007, 10:44 AM
Considering that most players, the longer they play, the more likely they are have a cue made by a cuemaker to their exact specifications.

It's like buying a spec home vs having a home built.

KellyStick
08-01-2007, 11:15 AM
I use a Jensen Cue made by Mike Johnson. So I am in the Other category.

1Time
08-01-2007, 01:07 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Snapshot9:</font><hr> Considering that most players, the longer they play, the more likely they are have a cue made by a cuemaker to their exact specifications.

It's like buying a spec home vs having a home built. <hr /></blockquote>

I agree that more seasoned players are more likely to do this, but your home anaolgy goes too far.
I've been playing for a few decades now with a few different cues, and I could not imagine plunking down any amount of money for a cue maker to make me a custom to my or anyone else's specifications. I would first have to shoot with the cue before wanting to buy it, no doubt about it.

The only way I'd have a cue maker make me a custom cue is if it came with a no questions asked, 100% money back guarantee within 2 weeks of use. For me play-ablity is everything. So why would I want to spend money to have a cue maker create a cue that I have not even first hit any balls with? That's crazy. And in my opinion, it's pure delusion for any player to think they can design an original pool cue that they (or any other person(s)) could play better pool with than some other cue. There's just no way to know which cue will work best for a particular player before first trying it out.

Bob_Jewett
08-01-2007, 01:20 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 1Time:</font><hr> ... For me play-ablity is everything. So why would I want to spend money to have a cue maker create a cue that I have not even first hit any balls with? ... <hr /></blockquote>
I agree with you which makes it frustrating to see all the "which cue do you like" posts go by. Even among the top players, there is serious disagreement about how the stick should hit the ball. It is pretty much useless -- IMNSHO -- to have a "best hitting cue" discussion as long as it is based on subjective points that there is little agreement on. Even cues from the same maker can feel quite different.

As far as turning the stick back in for a refund, I think you would first need to work with the cue maker to see if he could fix the particular problem you might be having with the cue.

One reason to buy a stick you have never shot with is that the reputation protects you from any loss. For example, if you bought a Southwest and didn't like it, there would likely be a line of people ready to pay you more than you had invested.

1Time
08-02-2007, 09:51 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 1Time:</font><hr> ... For me play-ablity is everything. So why would I want to spend money to have a cue maker create a cue that I have not even first hit any balls with? ... <hr /></blockquote>

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Bob_Jewett:</font><hr>
I agree with you which makes it frustrating to see all the "which cue do you like" posts go by. Even among the top players, there is serious disagreement about how the stick should hit the ball. It is pretty much useless -- IMNSHO -- to have a "best hitting cue" discussion as long as it is based on subjective points that there is little agreement on. Even cues from the same maker can feel quite different.<hr /></blockquote>

Such arguments really are moot. What matters most is what works best for a particular individual, whether that's their favorite bar cue or a cue they bought. A better selection of gear always offers the potential of helping one's game. No one looking for a cue for better playability should select one because it's a particular brand or model, or one made by a particular cue maker, including SW Cues.

However, the "which cue do you like" posts do help those who value popularity or looks over how well the cue performs, and such posts help direct those looking for a cue for better playability away from poorer quality cues like at Wal-Mart that likely would not serve them as well.

As far as turning the stick back in for a refund, I think you would first need to work with the cue maker to see if he could fix the particular problem you might be having with the cue.<hr /></blockquote>

If I'm going to pay a cue maker to make me a cue, he must first give me a money back guarantee and thereby assume all risk of reselling that cue if I don't find it performs as well as I like. Simple as that.

He's the one selling the delusional notion that a cue can be custom made for improved playability before I've even hit balls with it. No problem if he wants to make subsequent attempts at improving its playability by whittling away at it, so long as my purchase price is proportionately discounted for the extended length of time it takes for him to do so (and I still get a 100% money back guarantee). However, attempting to fix "the problem" is at least as delusional as the original notion of creating an original design that will result in better playability. There's just no way to know which cue will work best for a particular player before first trying it out.

One reason to buy a stick you have never shot with is that the reputation protects you from any loss. For example, if you bought a Southwest and didn't like it, there would likely be a line of people ready to pay you more than you had invested. <hr /></blockquote>

Sure, of course, people buy products all the time based on brand name recognition, and that can protect a consumer when it comes time to resell, or even result in a profit. And I'm sure there are many who find this comforting, especially those who buy cues without first testing them for their playability. However, resell value is not the reason I buy a cue. Rather, it is the cue's playability... in my own hands.

Deeman3
08-02-2007, 01:47 PM
I buy a cue mostly to compensate for my male sexual insecurity, the same reasons I have a Vette, a big motorcyle and carry a .45.

I have, however, after taking Enzite for a few weeks, decided to trade my Schons in for a couple of Walmart Cues but I'm gonna keep my guns.

sack316
08-02-2007, 02:22 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman3:</font><hr> I buy a cue mostly to compensate for my male sexual insecurity, the same reasons I have a Vette, a big motorcyle and carry a .45.

I have, however, after taking Enzite for a few weeks, decided to trade my Schons in for a couple of Walmart Cues but I'm gonna keep my guns. <hr /></blockquote>

and donating the Vette to Sack?

1Time
08-02-2007, 11:22 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman3:</font><hr> I buy a cue mostly to compensate for my male sexual insecurity, the same reasons I have a Vette, a big motorcyle and carry a .45.

I have, however, after taking Enzite for a few weeks, decided to trade my Schons in for a couple of Walmart Cues but I'm gonna keep my guns. <hr /></blockquote>

It sounds like you bought Schon cues to shoot with because you were impotent. But now due to your new found swollen sense of pride, you've decided you'll be better off shooting with Wal-Mart cues. Maybe you should be in one of those Enzite commercials like "Bob".

Koenig
08-03-2007, 04:53 PM
Nothing wrong with telling what cue you play, and like the most. It goes without saying that itīs my personal preference, and not yours.

Spelling out "the best hit - for me - that I know of - have tried - can remember - for my games - playing on my tables - in my tournaments" is just a drag to read. For me that is. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

I like reading about other players cues and their why this and that. Just do tell what shaft and tip.

I play with an old Meucci, metal joint, 314-2 and Everest tip. Not much Meucci in the hit.

By the way I donīt like the hit that much, but the way it plays, and the consistency...

Vapros
08-03-2007, 09:42 PM
I play with an old Mali that I bought for $150 from a fat guy. It doesn't hold me back a bit - it can play just as well as I can, and maybe a little better.

I suspect that a lot of posters here, other than the best players, could do a lot for their games with a $200 stick and $700 worth of practice and/or instruction.

1Time
08-03-2007, 10:43 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Vapros:</font><hr>
I suspect that a lot of posters here, other than the best players, could do a lot for their games with a $200 stick and $700 worth of practice and/or instruction. <hr /></blockquote>

I concur. And I suggest spending at the most 2 hours of practice for every 1 hour of instruction.

cueball1950
08-03-2007, 10:52 PM
i guess my answer would have to be either my Gus Szamboti or my original Paradise cue. Or maybe my Joss, BCM, KC, Audrick, MCDermott Tony Robles series,or maybe even 1 of my Phillippi cues. So many cues and so little time to decide. And by the way, Yes i do own that many cues and more. Please just don't ask me why. i have never been able to figure out why i have so many. But i always donate a few to the Annual CCB tournament at the U.S. Open every year...........mike

Bob_Jewett
08-06-2007, 11:42 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 1Time:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Vapros:</font><hr>
I suspect that a lot of posters here, other than the best players, could do a lot for their games with a $200 stick and $700 worth of practice and/or instruction. <hr /></blockquote>

I concur. And I suggest spending at the most 2 hours of practice for every 1 hour of instruction. <hr /></blockquote>
I assume that was a typo, and you meant "at least".

1Time
08-06-2007, 12:31 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Bob_Jewett:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote 1Time:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Vapros:</font><hr>

I concur. And I suggest spending at the most 2 hours of practice for every 1 hour of instruction. <hr /></blockquote>
I assume that was a typo, and you meant "at least". <hr /></blockquote>

Actually, no. I meant no more than 2 hours of practice for every 1 hour of instruction. This would be for beginner to intermediate players. However, more hours of practice (really any number) per hour of instruction would be appropriate for more advanced players.

I suggest this is the best way for one's game to progress quickly, again for beginner to intermediate players. Two hours is plenty of time to work on and incorporate what's been instructed. More practice time than this gives too much opportunity to develop worse practices than being instructed or to revert to old ones.

Kildegirl
08-09-2007, 08:02 AM
Post deleted by ccboard_admin

dave666
08-09-2007, 12:48 PM
i play with my chester krick cue most of the time, not because it's a $2,000 cue "because it was a gift", but because i feel i have more control with it because i have used it for years. if i was to buy another cue, iwould for the "1st" time agree with "1time" and say i would definately want to hit with it before i buy it. but you cannot pay a maker to build you a stick and than ask for your $ back. the maker wasn't going to make that stick until you created the idea. if you don't like the way it hits than sell it. but don't try to get your $ back, because you'll look like an idiot returning a cue that you had made. that's the chance you take having one made specially for yourself. ask yourself this... if you made a cue to someone elses specs and than they didn't like what "they built" would you give them their $ back? i wouldn't. it takes to much time and ability to make it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

leviwang
08-09-2007, 08:01 PM
I don't use any of the above mentioned. Because i am in China, them are difficult to find.
2nd Guangzhou International Billiards Exhibition (GBE2008)

Snapshot9
08-10-2007, 08:58 AM
I play with a Shurtz custom, J&amp;J Break/jump cue. There is only 1 production ? cue I wouild consider playing with and it is a Schon, otherwise, a custom is for me.

Oddball
08-12-2007, 07:35 AM
Cue: <font color="blue">Scorpion NT06 (19oz)</font color>
Shaft: <font color="blue">OB-1</font color>
Tip: <font color="blue">Sniper</font color>

hondo
08-13-2007, 03:01 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cueball1950:</font><hr> i guess my answer would have to be either my Gus Szamboti or my original Paradise cue. Or maybe my Joss, BCM, KC, Audrick, MCDermott Tony Robles series,or maybe even 1 of my Phillippi cues. So many cues and so little time to decide. And by the way, Yes i do own that many cues and more. Please just don't ask me why. i have never been able to figure out why i have so many. But i always donate a few to the Annual CCB tournament at the U.S. Open every year...........mike <hr /></blockquote>

What a shameless name dropper you are. BTW, I use a Scruggs. I just seem to like it a little better than
my Kersenbrock, Hercek, Schick, B. Szamboti, Searing,
Gina, Mottey &amp; Bender. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Alfie
08-14-2007, 07:30 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote billiards89:</font><hr>what kind of cue do u use most of the time<hr /></blockquote> These days I use a Lucasi all of the time. Why do you ask?