PDA

View Full Version : For you astronomy buffs out there.

nAz
08-01-2007, 01:13 AM
very well done site, it provides an online interactive system for exploring the night sky.

http://www.wikisky.org/

wolfdancer
08-01-2007, 02:52 AM
thanks for the link

Deeman3
08-01-2007, 07:27 AM
Very nice site. I finally found Andromeda....

Chopstick
08-01-2007, 09:20 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman3:</font><hr> Very nice site. I finally found Andromeda.... <hr /></blockquote>

Just wait a while. It's going to be a lot easier to find. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Maybe I should set aside achieving perfect un-excelled enlightenment for a while so I can be reborn again to see the collision.

Knowing my luck I would be born about five minutes before the galactic core crashes into the earth. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Deeman3
08-01-2007, 09:46 AM
I believe they say that when we do colide, no stars, out of hundreds of billions, will in any likelihood collide.

Does that mean my turnip patch will be O.K.? /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

I am not waiting around for this!!!!

wolfdancer
08-01-2007, 09:51 AM
I'm having trouble finding the star I paid to have named after me. I'm sure it would be one of the brightest ones out there, but didn't realize there were so many....looks like it might take a couple hours....

Deeman3
08-01-2007, 01:00 PM
I've said this before. The International Star Registry has absolutely no association with any authority to name stars after people, even the vain who feel this need is worth $50!

My service, which, by the way is recognised by the same authorities (The Association of Person's with Inflated Opinions of Themselves, DeeMan-Charter Member) offers a whole gallaxy after you for the one time price of $29.99 shipping included! Now, why would you select a star when you can have 3.6 billion times the personal pride and real estate albeit hot, for a fraction of the cost?

It will be duely noted in the DeeMan Registery of Gullible Souls and, who knows, as they merge, you may have a parking concession you never dreamed of while plotting the overthrow of the radical right. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

wolfdancer
08-01-2007, 01:51 PM
I think you might have to rework your ad copy a bit. We don't like to find out that we're gullible until after the check clears..or a new President is elected.
But a whole Galaxy for just $29.95......I'm really tempted....
Now if I can just put a hold on my donation check to the local
"Students with learning disabilities, and future Republicans
society"

Drop1
08-01-2007, 08:29 PM
Sounds great. Whats the catch? Could the same authority get my name,and star on a sidewalk in Yermo Ca.

cushioncrawler
08-01-2007, 09:05 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> I think you might have to rework your ad copy a bit. We don't like to find out that we're gullible until after the check clears..or a new President is elected. But a whole Galaxy for just $29.95......I'm really tempted.... Now if I can just put a hold on my donation check to the local "Students with learning disabilities, and future Republicans society"<hr /></blockquote>Woolfy -- Are u a cockroach in a skin-suit??? Hmmm, Steve looks like the guy who drove the tow-truck. madMac.

wolfdancer
08-01-2007, 10:04 PM
Can you explain?
humor, or have you yielded to the dark side, and this is some kind of Aussie insult?

nAz
08-01-2007, 10:22 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman3:</font><hr> Very nice site. I finally found Andromeda.... <hr /></blockquote>

cool i spend a lot of time at this site during the winter...

btw dee have you found UrAnus yet? /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

nAz
08-01-2007, 10:26 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> Can you explain?
humor, or have you yielded to the dark side, and this is some kind of Aussie insult?
<hr /></blockquote>

Men in black
http://www.movievillains.com/images/edgar_mib.jpg

Qtec
08-01-2007, 10:35 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman3:</font><hr> I believe they say that when we do colide, no stars, out of hundreds of billions, will in any likelihood collide.

Does that mean my turnip patch will be O.K.? /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

I am not waiting around for this!!!! <hr /></blockquote>

If you had read Dr Dave,s paper on exactly this subject you would know that your patch may be slightly singed. Or carbonised, it all depends on the spin. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Q /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Qtec
08-01-2007, 10:37 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nAz:</font><hr> very well done site, it provides an online interactive system for exploring the night sky.

http://www.wikisky.org/ <hr /></blockquote>

Thanks nAz.

Q /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

cushioncrawler
08-02-2007, 12:57 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr><blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman3:</font><hr>I believe they say that when we do colide, no stars, out of hundreds of billions, will in any likelihood collide. Does that mean my turnip patch will be O.K.? /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif I am not waiting around for this!!!!<hr /></blockquote>If you had read Dr Dave,s paper on exactly this subject you would know that your patch may be slightly singed. Or carbonised, it all depends on the spin. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif Q /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif<hr /></blockquote>Stars mightnt collide, but one galaxy will tranzmit some spin to the other none'the'less. And, az Dr Dave kood explain, the greater the speed of collizion then the less the "friktion faktor" and the less the tranzmitted side. But dont even think of skrewing one galaxy back off another, it wont happen. madMac.

Chopstick
08-03-2007, 09:10 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cushioncrawler:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr><blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman3:</font><hr>I believe they say that when we do colide, no stars, out of hundreds of billions, will in any likelihood collide. Does that mean my turnip patch will be O.K.? /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif I am not waiting around for this!!!!<hr /></blockquote>If you had read Dr Dave,s paper on exactly this subject you would know that your patch may be slightly singed. Or carbonised, it all depends on the spin. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif Q /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif<hr /></blockquote>Stars mightnt collide, but one galaxy will tranzmit some spin to the other none'the'less. And, az Dr Dave kood explain, the greater the speed of collizion then the less the "friktion faktor" and the less the tranzmitted side. But dont even think of skrewing one galaxy back off another, it wont happen. madMac. <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue">Well then, if a star is collides with another star and the object star has a sun spot on it does it skid? </font color> /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Deeman3
08-03-2007, 02:45 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nAz:</font><hr>
btw dee have you found UrAnus yet? /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> Actually, a lady protoligist with the largest fingers I have seen outside the primate world found mine back in 1999 in Dearborn Michigan. I actually considered having the local police do a rape kit on me!

I have decided, in the years since, that I'd just chance the cancer thing. I just don't want to risk homophobic nightmares! JK /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif </font color>

nAz
08-11-2007, 02:49 AM
thought you guys might enjoy this one... I use it on my Linux box but it is available for mac and windows. oh yeah and it free too. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Welcome to Celestia
... The free space simulation that lets you explore our universe in three dimensions. Celestia runs on Windows, Linux, and Mac OS X.

Unlike most planetarium software, Celestia doesn't confine you to the surface of the Earth. You can travel throughout the solar system, to any of over 100,000 stars, or even beyond the galaxy.
All movement in Celestia is seamless; the exponential zoom feature lets you explore space across a huge range of scales, from galaxy clusters down to spacecraft only a few meters across. A 'point-and-goto' interface makes it simple to navigate through the universe to the object you want to visit.
Celestia is expandable. Celestia comes with a large catalog of stars, galaxies, planets, moons, asteroids, comets, and spacecraft. If that's not enough, you can download dozens of easy to install add-ons with more objects.

http://www.shatters.net/celestia/