PDA

View Full Version : "The Truth"

pooltchr
08-01-2007, 06:54 PM
I have just finished reading the above named book, written by DeeMan. I must say I am very impressed, not only by his knowledge, but by his ability to convey it through the printed word. Word of warning...This is not your parent's instructional book! It doesn't have the normal how to grip, stand, stroke chapter. His thoughts on selecting a personal pool cue may fly in the face of some owners of high dollar cues. And the one drill he includes in great detail is far different from any other drill I have seen anywhere.
What impresses me the most is how he suggests a player prepare mentally for the process of improving and competing successfully. His "no excuses" way of thinking is something I have been teaching my students for years. He makes it clear that it's up to the player to determine what happens on the table. I like that!
There were one or two small points that I hope some day to have the chance to discuss with him in person. I think one of us might have a change in our way of thinking...I just don't know which one of us it would be! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
His thoughts on how and when to play safe were quite insightful, but I most enjoyed the chapter devoted to "Learning to learn". With his permission, I would love to incorporate much of that chapter into my teaching.

Anyway, I want to thank Dee for providing me a copy, and can recommend it to anyone who enjoys looking at things from a different perspective. Much of the book is geared toward those who like to place a wager or two on the outcome of a game, which is not by personal choice, but I still found it quite informative and entertaining. (I liked the line responding to people who send those odd looks toward someone practicing some less than conventional drills. You even managed to get some political humor in there! Good Job!)

Dee! Thanks for sharing. If you PM me your e-mail address, I will give you a little more in-depth review of my perceptions.

Steve

sack316
08-01-2007, 08:07 PM
I'll save my full review for when I have finished the whole thing... but in the mean time I'll simply add "I love it!"

Sack

cushioncrawler
08-01-2007, 08:58 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote pooltchr:</font><hr> ....His thoughts on how and when to play safe were quite insightful....<hr /></blockquote>I suppoze that anything 50/50 or better would be worth going for???? In backgammon u would normally accept the cube if u had a 1 in 3 chance of winning. But in pool there iz no cube. madMac.

wolfdancer
08-01-2007, 10:11 PM
Steve, nice review on the book. I've managed to secure a purloined copy...I just have to manage to find the right mood and the quiet time to get into it. From your post though, it sounds like it'll be a great read....even better'n Harry Potter.

Deeman3
08-02-2007, 01:41 PM
Steve,

Thank-you for your kind comments on my book. I will p.m. you so I can get any critical comments or defend my position, if warrented. You can certainly use any portion of the book in your instruction.

I think an important point you make is that this is not a book to teach you how to hold a cue. Persons still at that level might get some future useage from the book but it's focus is narrower than that by design. The drill(s) I use is/are more to get a person accustomed to "Learning Feel" for position, if that is possible, rather than expect to adapt a system that may have been designed to a game such as 3 cushion and adapt it to pool. It also tries to teach the needed discipline of what you need to do in a series of questions you have to ask/answers you must have, if you are to instill them into your game and "know" where a ball will go, know which side position you needs, know how a ball will come off a rail rather than see you made mental mistake when we have to deal with plenty of skill related errors.

For some odd reason, personal shortfalls, I don't see the sin in gambling. I see the sin in giving your money away to other players. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Again, thanks for the comments.

BigRigTom
08-02-2007, 03:48 PM
Deeman,
Your book is great!
I am only on page 41 (I'm not a fast reader.) and I will have more to say when I'm finished.
I am throughly enjoying it and have already picked up a few key pointers. Thanks in advance. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

cushioncrawler
08-02-2007, 04:14 PM
I will of course head straight for the chapter on Bent Cues. Hmmm -- then the chapter on the Pumpulum Stroke. madMac.

Deeman3
08-02-2007, 07:20 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cushioncrawler:</font><hr> I will of course head straight for the chapter on Bent Cues. Hmmm -- then the chapter on the Pumpulum Stroke. madMac. <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> I am seriously considering adding an upside down chapter in your honor on the purchase a tip achieves when mixed with liberal pints of Fosters, Brand X chalk and greasy fingers from fried Roo burgers.

One question I've never bothered to ask any of the accomplished snooker players is this. Why do it's participants make a single swipe of the chalk across the face of the tip, rather than drill for oil by grinding for several strokes like our pool playing brethern do? The obvious answer, "That's all that is needed!" seems way to simple for a man of science and way too patrician for a far right Bible thumping, shallow water Souther Baptist such as I.

Inquiring (soon to be owned by Rupert Murdock) minds want to know! Please lob, or Australian Twist, me an answer over that Great Barrier Reef (which I loved to dive in my youth) /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif</font color>

Sig
08-02-2007, 08:06 PM
So is this book available outside of this secret club? /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

BigRigTom
08-03-2007, 11:35 AM
Deeman!
I just finished reading "The Truth".
Tap! Tap! Tap!
Fitting title and my complements on a delightful read. As I mentioned earlier I truly enjoyed every page.
Being borned and raised in North Eastern Alabama I learned early to consider the source on any new information, especially if it differs from previously believed information.
With that in mind I must say you did a fine job of lacing the material with bits of information about your experiences that lend credibility to the claims you made. I am impressed with you scope of knowledge in things other than pool and you have a talent for telling a story and mixing the advise into the story in a way that make it easy to follow the line of thought while being enjoyable to read.
Like Steve, I especially liked the part about taking responsibility for your own game and I plan to fully utilize that drill you describe as well as the Spider Web of skill assessment.
I do enjoy a wager once in a while (there is nothing wrong with gambling within your means) and some of that advice was eye opening to me and other bits were info that I already knew but often forget to consider. I found myself putting names of people I know to some of the player types you describe and many of the situations you relate are all too familiar to me.
I have never seriously considered turning pro or becoming a road player but I am (at almost 57 years old) a serious student of the game and anxious to learn anything I can to improve my chances of winning. I have played pool since I was 12 years old but have learned most of what I know in the last 7 years.
I just want you to know that your book is a nice addition to my library and I will recommend it to anyone who has a serious desire to improve their competitive game of pool.
Thank you for including me in the group of recipients.
I hope you will continue to refine the book and someday have it published. The billiards community can stand to hear "The Truth" even if it doesn't always agree with it.

Deeman3
08-03-2007, 01:53 PM
Tom,

Thank-you, so much, for your generous comments. I hope we meet someday and can swap stories. I'm 55 now but have the feel that I'm still 25 and my wife let's me behave at about that age.

Again, thanks and good luck.

Fran Crimi
08-03-2007, 06:05 PM
Just got my copy Deeman. Thanks! Took a quick skim through it because I couldn't wait. I love the unconventional style. This is no same-ol'-same-ol' how to play pool book! Love those avatars, too.

I'm looking forward to reading it more thoroughly.

Fran

cushioncrawler
08-03-2007, 06:28 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman3:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote cushioncrawler:</font><hr> I will of course head straight for the chapter on Bent Cues. Hmmm -- then the chapter on the Pumpulum Stroke. madMac. <hr /></blockquote> <font color="blue"> I am seriously considering adding an upside down chapter in your honor on the purchase a tip achieves when mixed with liberal pints of Fosters, Brand X chalk and greasy fingers from fried Roo burgers.<hr /></blockquote>I dont normally drink beer (red wine), but my 2 sons are viziting me here at prezzy and they got me some Tasman Bitter (brewed in Tazzy), not bad at all. Havnt had a RooBurger, but i am sure that our dogs eat dead rooz here, and madSherie iz allwayz worryd about us getting hydatids. Aktually, az we speak, JAL iz looking into qtip offset and purchase. <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman3:</font><hr>One question I've never bothered to ask any of the accomplished snooker players is this. Why do it's participants make a single swipe of the chalk across the face of the tip, rather than drill for oil by grinding for several strokes like our pool playing brethern do? The obvious answer, "That's all that is needed!" seems way to simple for a man of science and way too patrician for a far right Bible thumping, shallow water Souther Baptist such as I.<hr /></blockquote>Dee -- thats a good question. But i have never asked my snooker mates (inklooding some ozz champs and english tour players) why. But i have a theory, and i think that i hav spouted it once before on this forum, it goze like this. The squirt and skrew etc reaktion between qtip and qball iz sensitive to the exakt amount of chalk etc.

Propozition No 1 -- Allwayz chalk your qtip the same way. That iz, allwayz give it a light wipe -- or, do az every Pool Player duz, allwayz drill for oil.

Propozition No 2 -- Lots of chalk leads to more squirt and more chance of kicks. So, uze a light wipe.

Propozition No 3 -- The squirt and skrew etc reaktion between qtip and qball iz sensitive to the exakt amount of chalk etc. We can take this faktoid one step further. This inkloodz shots where u are hitting the qball dead-center, ie zero spin, and zero skrew etc. If so then it meenz that u shood chalk up for eech and every shot, dead-center or no.

Propozition No 4 -- Best to give the qtip a light wipe for every shot.<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman3:</font><hr>Inquiring (soon to be owned by Rupert Murdock) minds want to know! Please lob, or Australian Twist, me an answer over that Great Barrier Reef (which I loved to dive in my youth) /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif</font color><hr /></blockquote>I havnt seen the latest info, but it appears that lots of reefs will shortly be stuffed, due to global warming. Diving on the reef must be about the best thing i have done. Last time i went it woz in a mono hull in bad weather and they only gave us some herbal anti-sick pills -- i woz vomiting throo my snorkel during my whole dive. Good tip for getting the white-tip sharks to come close for a look, click your fingers under water (and watch your back). Here's a good one -- click your fingers next to your missuz and then get out of there fast. madMac.

wolfdancer
08-03-2007, 06:43 PM
A question......knowing that the truth shall set you free, did you include in your book, as Mr. Grady Matthews did....a few "close encounters of the third kind" ?
Quoting from that book...."I see you are gifted...." she said

(well, no living person has never accused me of such and the dead ones don't count) but, my nephew, "Vlad" (the impaler) is a neighborhood legend.... getting back to the book....does it have a PG rating?

ceebee
08-03-2007, 09:26 PM
I was glad to have read the book, it does offer the insights described by the other posters.

I was lucky to have met Deeman at Spetty's, more than once. Deeman is a definite "type A", with a twist of interest &amp; "that's my story &amp; I'm stickin' to it".

Congrats Deeman...

1Time
08-03-2007, 11:40 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman3:</font><hr>
For some odd reason, personal shortfalls, I don't see the sin in gambling. I see the sin in giving your money away to other players. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Of course there really is no way one could see the sin in gambling unless one looks. HERE (http://www.prca.org/pamphlets/pamphlet_93.htm#whySin) is a nice read on the sin/gambling subject.

Scott Lee
08-04-2007, 09:49 PM
Steve...I was lucky enough to get a copy of Dee's book a coule of weeks before we were in Vegas. It has brilliant insight, imo, and is FUN to read. I shared it with Randyg too!

Nice job Dee! I mentioned that to you before, but just wanted to say so again. Loved it! Say hi to Tori! I thought I might make it over to Luverne on this last trip, but a last minute clinic in Chattanooga changed my route!
Next time for sure! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Scott Lee

Deeman3
08-06-2007, 07:22 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> A question......knowing that the truth shall set you free, did you include in your book, as Mr. Grady Matthews did....a few "close encounters of the third kind" ? <font color="blue">No, I don't have near the romaticized view of my self, erotic or otherwise, as Grady. My book, at least the instructional one does not tie sexual excapades to playing ability. I guess I just never made that connection. </font color>
Quoting from that book...."I see you are gifted...." she said <font color="blue"> Even if I were gifted, I am a one woman type guy. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif</font color>

(well, no living person has never accused me of such and the dead ones don't count) but, my nephew, "Vlad" (the impaler) is a neighborhood legend.... getting back to the book....does it have a PG rating? <hr /></blockquote> <font color="blue"> Only for the painful truth about some pool related truth, no sexual content, sorry, not my imagined sexual prowess.... /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif Now the novel, "Balbuska's Nickel" attached to some of the CD's that may be a little different but even the sex there is old fashioned lightly veiled, sorry.. /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif </font color>

Deeman3
08-06-2007, 07:27 AM
Scott,

Thanks. I look forward to seeing you again whenever you do make it here. Tori is now out on the open road, every day, on her own bike so everyone be careful when traveling through the South, she will eventually run over everyone. She already has run over me. At least she does less damage than in the Corvette, I think??!!??

Never give your wife a bike or gun!

heater451
08-07-2007, 05:55 PM
Deeman, the book sounds like it would be an interesting read. Are you self-publishing, from the web? There are plenty of sites that will print with a decent binding, for about $10/book, and I don't even think there is a set up fee. Lulu.com is one, but it might be more picture oriented. My wife has gone through them and another place, which I cannot recall right now.

I am, however, afraid that reading it might make me Republican. . . .

============================

Scott Lee
08-07-2007, 08:31 PM
Not to worry Al...it is strictly about pool, not politics! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Scott Lee

Deeman3
08-08-2007, 07:14 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote heater451:</font><hr> Deeman, the book sounds like it would be an interesting read. Are you self-publishing, from the web? There are plenty of sites that will print with a decent binding, for about $10/book, and I don't even think there is a set up fee. Lulu.com is one, but it might be more picture oriented. My wife has gone through them and another place, which I cannot recall right now.

I am, however, afraid that reading it might make me Republican. . . .

<font color="blue">Heater451,

Not to worry, the references to personal responsibility in the book are widely being ignored by all politricians right now so it's, like Scott says, not political in nature. After a few revisions I'm considering publishing it but I'm into another book now on a different subject and thinking more about that one. If "The Truth" had offended maore people, I'd be more likely to do something with it. I may have to juice it up more with a few hate crimes sprinkled in to appease my right wing ego more. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif You can. however, enjoy the book and maintain that deer in the headlights look you liberals have developed so well.JK, JK, JK /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif</font color>

============================ <hr /></blockquote>

Deeman3
08-08-2007, 07:48 AM
I would like to take the opportunity to thank everyone who has read my book and particualrily those who have given me feedback. Dr. Dave, whom I disagree with on occasion gave me very good observations and helped with many spelling/grammer items (always hard to spot when you made the error yourself). Ceebee, thanks! Steve, I never did get an e-mail on your observations. Again, thanks to all. I'm making a few changes but not all as that would make it someone elses book!

wolfdancer
08-08-2007, 11:03 AM
So....you're saying the new, revised "Truth" will hurt???

Deeman3
08-08-2007, 11:30 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> So....you're saying the new, revised "Truth" will hurt??? <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> The Truth always does! /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif </font color>

BigRigTom
08-08-2007, 12:28 PM
"The Truth" may hurt and usually does but that is all the more reason we need it.

Keep the faith Deeman!

OOOOO YESSSSS....Since you are revising it ....I would like to hear more about you escapades on the road. I'm sure there were some that you may be reluctant to go into detail about but those are exactly the ones that could make "The Truth" a best seller if not on Opra's list.
Either way you book is already better that "The Secret" and it made Opra's and the Best Seller lists! /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Deeman3
08-08-2007, 01:23 PM
Thanks Tom...

I did consider some stories but then, knowing me, I'd have to add a disclaimer on calling it the Truth as I am a self-admitted embellisher of road stories. As sure as I write one about how I won at such and such a time, some guy with a better memory will chime in a remind me I got creamed later that evening. What's a guy to do. At least, unlike Grady, I have far too few sex related pool events in my life and the one or two I do have still have winesses to tell the real tale. As well, some stories, although true, would not show some others in a very compassionate light, some who behave much differently today than many years ago. I'd hate to have my worst revealed by anyone. I hope I am a better person today than I was then, but anyone who spends a lot time doing this had better be careful in writing stuff down. Back in the very early days of the CCB I recalled something that happened years ago and involved a player. His girlfriend, who had not known him 25 years ago defended him and knew he was not being treated fairly in my account. So, now I use more discretion and I have never been a fan of those stories with names left out. The personalities and history of a player are almost an impossible part of the story not to know or describe and many, particularily on the CCB, know who you are talking about in about three paragraphs and everyone else is left to guess. Anyone who has read the stuff about Bucktooth throwing balls at someone really has to know him and his history to both believe and appreciate the story. I think....Those of us lucky enough to see Buddy Hall play when he was skinny or watch Cornbread bank balls or Youngblood play banks do a couple of things, we all enlarge our participation in their lives when we were observers more often than participants and we may remember them with capabilities beyond what they actually had. Most of us wewre kids who got in their way. But I swear, I believe there were times, events and hours when Eddie Taylor could NOT miss a bank, even ones I'd put my grubby little paw on the Bible to say were not possible, to this day. I know some of those guys, for pretty long periods, were monsters in this game. Like a mist, it would be there and be gone but it was magic. How do you do justice to that? I wish I was that good a writer.

Most of my stories involve games and players most never heard of and places you'd never want to go but they are mostly stories I like to tell more than people want to hear. Ain't it always that way? My short history on the road would read more like a very bad investment of time and even worse investment of money in most cases, if I didn't cut out the bad parts, which I admit I'm prone to do. If I'd been the success I'd like to believe, someone else would be writing about me right now. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif Told you the Truth hurts....

It is a shame more is not written as I continue to badger Dick to write more as a lot of his contemporaries are now gone. When I reach his age, fat chance of that, maybe I'll be writing about how I used to talk to him on the CCB!

SKennedy
08-08-2007, 01:37 PM
I have not read all the postings relative to "The Truth" by Deeman, but was curious as to how I might obtain a copy of it to read? It definitely has my interest. I have just found this site.

pooltchr
08-08-2007, 05:12 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman3:</font><hr> Steve, I never did get an e-mail on your observations. Again, thanks to all. I'm making a few changes but not all as that would make it someone elses book!

<hr /></blockquote>
I will resend it in a few minutes. Let me know if you don't get it.
Steve

Deeman3
08-09-2007, 08:02 AM
Steve,

I got it first thing this morning when I got in. Thank-you very much. I learned a lot from your comments and especially about where I should expand some areas and will do so. Thanks for the insight on the controlled draw, especially. I also loved the simplification of the spin theory you use and will incorporate it, with your permission, in my changes. Your review was in great detail and very astute. Your comment that I target an average higher skilled player is dead on but, of course, the fundamentals is where even they break down.

Again, thanks for taking your valuable time for the review. All your observations had great merit.

pooltchr
08-09-2007, 06:12 PM
Dee,
Thank you for the kind comments.
Glad to be of help. Feel free to incorporate any of it you find appropriate.
Any time you are passing through the Carolinas, give me a call. We really need to shoot a few racks!
Steve