PDA

View Full Version : N.Orleans Billiard Expo visit, any recomendations?

07-25-2002, 09:40 PM
Hello,
i can't help but visit what appears to be an interesting event. i'm looking forward to the black dot shaft demos and to see if Predator already has answering refinements. does anyone here have other ideas of neat things to check out? if there are any booths to check out for others here i'll gladly relay your questions as well and post answers here or e-mail them.
best regards,
^v^

Voodoo Daddy
07-25-2002, 11:55 PM
After you have overloaded your brain with pool chachki's, you should take a cab to the Quarter, wander a bit and take in a dinner at Nola's... its not a cheap meal but you WILL thank me.

Scott Lee
07-26-2002, 12:45 AM
redwinebluebird...Stop by the Samsara Cues booth and introduce yourself! I'd love to meet you!

Scott Lee

Scott Lee
07-26-2002, 12:48 AM
Voodoo...I had fantastic seafood at Mike Anderson's on Bourbon St. tonight! EXCELLENT food, great portions, and nothing on the menu over $22! I highly recommend this place!

Scott Lee

07-26-2002, 01:43 AM
thanks for the NoLA advice although i live in New Orleans. i've done a post or two about good pool hall, billiards replacements from my area.. NOlA is a great place and by local standards not very expensive, far less expensive than the other two original Emeril restaurants we have here. he's got chains now all over but thank goodness NOLA and our others don't have the prepackaged stuff. NOLA still has terrific food, though i'm with few locals that think so now that Emeril left for the food network. if you visit New Orleans again i highly recommend the www.nomenu.com (http://www.nomenu.com) web site for current info and cannot recommend enough our local best restaurant... Peristyle, truly amoung the best in the world and far eclipsing of Commanders, Galatoires, even Bayona. by the way Emeril is not from New Orleans although his Boston accent has melded to become indistinguishable from the local one(no southern drawls here..New York, Boston esque).
thanks again though and a solid recommendation IMHO. i do hope to buy a Black Dot shaft and see what the predator booth is offering..if they have experimental products for sale i'll buy one and post both exact descriptions and opinions. unfortunatly i have only a lunch hour and a half tomorrow so i'll wait until saturday, although i'm tempted to visit anyway. my fiancee and i have our 60 dollar badges(badges hmmmph!) but we cannot properly visit until noon saturday..four hours only. i hope there are still some black dot shafts left... or if not maybe by that time the price will drop :-)
best regards,
^v^

07-27-2002, 07:04 PM
Is the Bon Ton Cafe still open? I used to be manufacturer's rep for a company out of New Orleans, and we would always eat there when in town- some of the best turtle soup I have ever had!

07-29-2002, 06:58 PM
yes, the Bon Temp is still open. i haven't dined there in over a year but i'm sure the menu and even the wait staff are the same. it is still there positively and will be for many more years. if you visit again be sure to try some of the other great restaurants around here... Bayona, Bella Luna, Bacco, Mr. Bs most of my favorites start with the letter "B" but i would consider Bella Luna the most impressive..a truly unforgettable dining experience. then of course Commander's Palace if even for a lunch(which offers great value) just to say you've gone. or Galatoire's for the same reason. there are countless other great recommendations..not just French or Creole/Cajun food. and yes Mr. Lee, Mike Anderson's is good. sorry i didn't get to meet you and i do regret it, but i did have an interesting and fun time. our visit was far too short and i wish, in retrospect, i would have gone for an extended Lunch hour Thursday and Friday too.
i decided to wait on the black dot shaft as i feel just by a hunch they could use further refinement...i wasn't sold on the spot. i'm anxious to see other's opinions. for some reason the whole "answer to Predator thing(another overly hyped shaft IMHO)" hype was a bit offputting. luckily or unluckily for that matter, i've now a larger pile of semi-useless accessories/free stuff and more tips than i'll ever be able to test.
best regards,
^v^