PDA

View Full Version : DeeMan Debate Challenge

Deeman3
08-09-2007, 08:20 AM
After sleeping through a few of the debates on both sides, there has gotta be a better way.

If Wrestlemania would not sue, I'd call for DeeMania Debates with a few changes.

A) Both parties would debate at the same time with Bill O'Reilly asking the questions of the Dems and Bill Moyers to ask the Republicans.

B) All participants would be allowed five pieces of clothing, except Hillary would be allowed a bra as well as Fred Thompson on the Republican side.

C) All questions would be answered with a Yes or No. If yes or no is uttered, the candidate would have 3 minutes to comment on their answer. If any other word, like "maybe" or even "well" is first uttered, they would be required to remove one article of clothing and not allowed to speak further until the following question.

D) Electrical wires would be attached to both Bills and a mild 220 volt jolt given if they utter anything containing the words, "Secular, Bi-partisan or vast conspiracy" anything.

What are some good additional rules and what would be good questions?

Bobbyrx
08-09-2007, 08:55 AM
Electrical wires should also be attached if any candidate answers a question with: "The real question is not (insert question asked) but rather (insert question they want to answer)"

moblsv
08-09-2007, 09:37 AM
I would prefer a Douglas-Lincoln Format. Give one candidate a full hour to speak. Then give the other candidate an hour and a half, then the first another half hour for rebuttal.

The O'reilly idea and the 3 minute idea are both exactly what we DO NOT need. More fragmented, out of context, sound bites. We need to strip all of this entertainment crap entirely from the debates and let/make the candidates speak for an extended period of time and present a complete, reasoned, contextual presentation of their positions.

moblsv
08-09-2007, 12:00 PM
here is a great article that represents my opinion on this subject

http://www.leaderu.com/common/artofdebate.html

As a side note: I have read the book Amusing Ourselves to Death which is mentioned in this article. It is a relatively short book. I would recommend it to anyone.

Deeman3
08-09-2007, 12:16 PM
Mobslv,

I guess we just have to disagree on this one. I don't think that A) any politician who cannot say what he has to say about a subject (in summary) in about three minutes will just be filling time. B) The attention span of the modern voter would preclude a 2 hour listen to each of this many candidates. C) They will just fudge around the issues and never have to say where they really stand.

I know you don't like O'reilly and people on the opposite side certainly don't like Moyers but both men would ask hard to answer questions. If they were loaded, you could hit the electric button...

I also like Bobby's idea above. Of course, this recommendation is childish but do you see anything real about what is happeing in the debates now? You have seen what happens when a candidate accidently answers a question like Obama did. I just think it would be much more informative, thus it will never happen.

Do you really want to hear an hour and a half of Rudy talking about his leadership or how Hillary fought her way up from the burbs?

moblsv
08-09-2007, 12:45 PM
Even better. I want each of the candidates to write an entire book. I read Obama's a while back and just ordered Bidens. I have found the modern debates to be next to useless compared to reading books. If a candidate really wants my attention, they should write it out in a 400 page book. Yes, I will read it.

I understand that in this age of entertainment most Americans can't sit through a long talk or read an entire book. That is the problem with our public discourse today. I think those who take their voting responsibility seriously, and want to be informed voters, will sit through longs debates and in turn will attempt to propagate that information through their social networks.

Gayle in MD
08-09-2007, 12:51 PM
Bravo!!!

My friend, as usual, you have stated a valuable fact. If Americans read books, Bush would never have gotten in the White House in the first place, and certainly not with Cheney at his side!

Love,
Gayle

Gayle in MD
08-09-2007, 12:56 PM
These are pretty good Deeman, but they should be the rules for Press conferences, by both the President, and the White House Press Secretary! In fact, it wouldn't hurt to include Senate Investigating Committees in the also. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif You'd have to add the electrical maneuver to all "I don't know" and I can't recall" answers, also. If you did, there wouldn't be a set of balls in the entire Republican Administration, that is if the wires were hooked up to the appropriate location, LOL... /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif Rumsfeld would be on the moon, by now.

wolfdancer
08-09-2007, 01:04 PM
A shocking, electrifying idea...but in today's reality TV market, you need to remove one candidate for each viewing....vote them off the Island, so to speak....We all love the drama of watching someone's dreams shattered before a mass audience...appeals to the inner-Sadist in us...
I think Colbert would be the best intreviewer...he knows how to bypass both the question and the answer, and tell us what we really want to know....

Deeman3
08-09-2007, 01:06 PM
Well, that is ideal but not a debate. I agree we have a responsibility to make ourselves aware of a candidate's positions but in practical reality, we don't grant the vote to those who have read the most volumes. It could be argued they are better informed, if the material they read is truthful. It might smack of intellectual elitisim to suggest voting be restricted to that group. How about the millions that are too unfortunate, because of the oppressive Bush policies, to have learned how to read after he singlehandedly destroyed the public schools?

Should they not have a voice? What about those books now banned by the Hitleresk Bushites and what of the State Sponsored beheadings by the Christian right? We need to hear these arguments while Hillarey bakes cookies and Rudy selects yet another wife.

wolfdancer
08-09-2007, 01:37 PM
"What about those books now banned by the Hitleresk Bushites"
"Fahrenheit 451"...Mr Bradbury anticipated the
Bush PresidUncy.......
in fairness to Herr Bush...since he admits to not reading books....he is trying to lead by example....it's just that these lefties keep wanting to know facts and details....
Did people question Jim Jones, Tammy and Jim, Benito...why can't they just take the Prez at his word....??

Deeman3
08-09-2007, 02:17 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> "What about those books now banned by the Hitleresk Bushites"
"Fahrenheit 451"...Mr Bradbury anticipated the
Bush PresidUncy.......
in fairness to Herr Bush...since he admits to not reading books....he is trying to lead by example....it's just that these lefties keep wanting to know facts and details....
Did people question Jim Jones, Tammy and Jim, Benito...why can't they just take the Prez at his word....?? <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> I'm with you Wolf, I mean, we elected the guy! Why would we questions him now? I have faithfully followed his lead in not reading any books. I gave up kinky sex! Now, all I want is to grill all these clowns to see which is the lesser of many evils. Axis of Evil? I think we can pretty much get 'em all into one room at the same time. Getting them to utter more than platitudes is the challenge. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Damn, I loved Bradbury's work, but not as much as Tolstoy! I sure miss those reads!</font color>

sack316
08-09-2007, 03:14 PM
Sack's thoughts: (dollar value for these thoughts = $0.00)

- debating with responses in short answer form is needed. As learned on "The power of ten" last night, 25% of Americans would rather watch the hot dog eating contest than the debates. While this number was actually lower than I expected, it still means one out of four potential voters felt that way. So then, I wonder, out of the other 75% how many just didn't wanna watch an eating contest?

- The clothing idea... maybe not so much. The further that would go, the more we may begin to ask ourselves "hey, was that the guy next to Joey Chestnut and Kobayashi at the hot dog eating contest?" We would then go on youtube to see, and miss the rest of the debate. But I do second the bra idea.

- Electrical wires are an awesome thought. They should all also have to sign waivers to agree that, if elected, they will continue to wear these wires in office-- much like the alcohol anklet sensor-- that will zap them for any form of dumbassery they may (ahem, will) commit when president

- Book reading and education would be valuable in this process. But I don't think the law allows for J. K. Rowling to run for president of the United States. Back to square one on that thought

- a reality show format would be fun. Perhaps throw all candidates into the big brother house. Make 'em earn that power of veto! Or even an American Idol format... at least then, for some contestants I won't name, Randy calling them "dog" would make sense. Plus more Americans would vote!

- How about adding a Stewart/Colbert ticket to the mix... just for funsies? /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Sack

Deeman3
08-09-2007, 03:30 PM
See! Now we're talkin'...

I love Stewart and Colbert....

sack316
08-09-2007, 03:37 PM
me too deeman

And also there lies a dilema. I (and many others)feel pretty strongly that were such a ticket available, they'd do very well if not win. So then

A) Would that be a credit to those two for their work and ability to gain popularity with the people

B) A knock on the voters for having a higher interest in entertainment rather than actual political process

C) A credit to the voters for saying "hey, it's not our fault we take a higher interest in entertainment... we're sick of your political games and want no B.S."

D) A knock on the state of politics in this country

Don't know how I'd feel really. But I do know I'd watch every presidential announcement... which would probably air at 10/ 9 central time on Comedy Central /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Sack

pooltchr
08-09-2007, 06:07 PM
Dee,
While your idea has merit, I don't think it will ever happen. The candidates, for the most part, are afraid to give straight answers to any questions. Some need to check the polls first, and others just need to figure out which answer will cost them the fewest votes.

I've made my decision already....John Boy and Billy!!!! (Those of you living in the South probably know who I'm talking about...you yankees....don't know what you're missing!)
Steve

Deeman3
08-10-2007, 08:10 AM
I sense a real grass roots movement for John Boy and Billy. Wouldn't they make the white house reminicent of the Carter years. Ah! For the good old days when it was o.k. to pee on the south lawn. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

sack316
08-10-2007, 12:03 PM
John boy and Billy are good choices too. I suppose then we could also have Paul Feinbaum serve as secretary of state or something. But maybe I'm now getting a little TOO local.

Sack

Deeman3
08-10-2007, 12:14 PM
I've heard Paul but I'm within rock throwing distance of you and him.

Chopstick
08-10-2007, 01:10 PM
Robert D. Raiford and Oliver. I'd like to her Oliver read off all of them. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

OOOOWAH

Bobbyrx
08-10-2007, 01:24 PM
Deeman speaking of books............
I am constantly being told on this forum:
"If you knew how to read....."
"You must be illiterate to think......"
"Can't you understand the King's English..."
"If you would just read these books from the Daily Kos book club you would understand....."
"Like I said Before, you need a crayon "
"I suppose you may have trouble reading those words, so I will assist you..."
"if you even bother to read this account..."
and then these:
"the truth is..."
"you wouldn't know the truth if it hit you in the...."
"you don't have a clue and that's the truth"

So you see it's obvious that I can't read and I don't know the truth. So it looks like you're the only one who can help. If I could just get a copy of your book "The Truth" then I could learn to read and know the truth. I understand that it is an easy read....I hope that means no big words. Thanks a million...............yes I have no shame...

Deeman3
08-10-2007, 02:30 PM
Bobby,

I'll send you a copy, it's too far to Birmingham to throw a CD unless you are steroid enhanced. P.M. me your address and I'll send it. There are no big words as I anticipated your wanting to read. You know I am kidding you, right? They don't have guns in Birmingham, do they? /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Just kidding about Birmingham, great city, pitty about the people. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif