PDA

View Full Version : This group

bluewolf
07-26-2002, 08:35 AM
I havent been active on this bulletin board long enough to know everyone, but I have made a few observations about most of you.

1) love of the game billiards
2)encouragement
3)constructive suggestions
4)appreciation for humor and quick wit
5)compassion
6)fun loving

as for the others in the minority, well flaming them back is way too fun for me to pass up. <G> i may be a newbie here, but I am a pro at the flaming game. LMAO

bluewolf

07-26-2002, 10:53 AM
These so-called flame-wars are something I find wholly unappealing on this board or any other where I have seen them take place.

The persons who to engage in them, whether they started them or not, might want to consider how they affect the tone of the overall board, how it affects the desire of less belligerent posters to participate, and the impression it makes on new visitors to the forum, from novice to professional.

I'd venture to compare these flame-wars to a domestic couple having a loud argument that the neighbors can hear.

Egg

P.S. I took the liberty of renaming this post to more specifically indicate what about "The Group" was being discussed. You may of course title your threads anyway you like; but many readers prefer to have headings that more clearly indicate the subject content.

Rod
07-26-2002, 12:16 PM
Egg, you certainly won't have to twist my arm for agreement. I definately agree. Isn't that what teenagers do a fair amount of the time?

"Adolescence is just one big walking pimple."
Carol Burnett

"[Parents] must get across the idea that "I love you always, but sometimes I do not love your behavior.""
Amy Vanderbilt

Ah well I doubt it will ever end.

SPetty
07-26-2002, 01:30 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: bluewolf:</font><hr> as for the others in the minority, well flaming them back is way too fun for me to pass up. &lt;G&gt; i may be a newbie here, but I am a pro at the flaming game.
<hr></blockquote>Hi bluewolf,

I have to agree with Egg and Rod on this one.

Please please please try to resist "flaming them back". As you say, you're new here. This board is truly a notch above other boards you may have known before. No disrespect intended: If you prefer to do those "pissing contest" flaming things, you might find a different board more to your liking at another site. Most of the posters here have learned to disregard, or at least not respond to, those posts which are wholly inflammatory or just plain stupid in nature. I don't know if I speak for most of us, but I do know that I don't like having to wade through piles of crap to get to the good stuff, and generally, this board is real good at providing the good stuff. If we ignore the crap, it often goes away. The last thing we need here is another "pro at the flaming game".

Hope this helps a little.

bluewolf
07-26-2002, 01:45 PM
thankx. i do like pool a lot but some of the terms are over my head. stuff like massee(sp)kick shot etc.i hate to always be asking what everything is.

as far as the flaming, i admit i got carried away but i am not like that most of the time.i have actually been accused of being too serious and too intense and have had to learn to lighten up, not take things personally and to laugh at myself.

Wally_in_Cincy
07-26-2002, 02:14 PM

Kato
07-26-2002, 02:26 PM
Please realize that part of learning is to ask questions and get answers. There are shooters of all levels here. When 1 person asks a question we all learn something.

Kato~~~learned something once but I don't remember what it was.

Karatemom
07-26-2002, 04:26 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: SPetty:</font><hr> I don't know if I speak for most of us, but I do know that I don't like having to wade through piles of crap to get to the good stuff, and generally, this board is real good at providing the good stuff. If we ignore the crap, it often goes away. The last thing we need here is another "pro at the flaming game".

Hope this helps a little.

<hr></blockquote>

Susan, you definitely read my mind. I agree with you.

Heide

Karatemom
07-26-2002, 04:30 PM
Don't be afraid to ask questions here. This is the friendlist group I've ever had the pleasure of chatting with. There are still a lot of things I have to learn about this game, and everyone on this board is always helpful, no matter how stupid I think I might sound. There is no such thing as a stupid question.

Heide ~ always a student

07-26-2002, 06:18 PM
WOW! SPETTY, constructive criticisim if I've ever seen it. You must be a mom....you scared me(as a newbie) to be very careful as what I might say. no disrespect to the boy. LOL

bluewolf
07-27-2002, 05:29 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Karatemom:</font><hr> &lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote: SPetty:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr&gt; I don't know if I speak for most of us, but I do know that I don't like having to wade through piles of crap to get to the good stuff, and generally, this board is real good at providing the good stuff. If we ignore the crap, it often goes away. The last thing we need here is another "pro at the flaming game".&gt;

I told you guys I had a weird sense of humor. That statement 'pro at the flaming game' was kind of tongue and cheek and I have to be honest, it was also a defensive ploy to keep anyone from nasty flames. I have been on lists where the flames were so bad it was out and out war. I mean calling each other 'fat boy' etc. these people in these flaming wars really hated each other and were constantly going for the jugular.i did not participate. at first it was funny to watch but after awile i left the list.

it was so bad that these wars were taking up so much bandwidth that it dominated the purpose of the group. even though what downtown and i were doing wasnt like these wars,i do respect your opinions and dont want to upset anybody. so now i know how people on this list feel and i am sure my subsequent posts will be different.

thankx again for being honest

bluewolf

Susan, you definitely read my mind. I agree with you.

Heide <hr></blockquote>

rackmup
07-27-2002, 06:58 AM
HEY! I RESEMBLE THAT REMARK!

I too, engage in the battle of wits but not here at the CCB. I have too much respect for the board members here and to be quite honest, I'm re-evaluating the whole "flaming" scene and considering retirement.

"Fat Boy?" I was just called that on another board! Coincidence? Hmmmmm...

Regards,

Ken

Q-guy
07-27-2002, 06:58 AM
It takes two to have a flame war. You will find here, most will not play the game. It is a little boaring here for someone that like to argue for the sake of arguing and is not looking for some truth. They end up talking to themselves.

stickman
07-27-2002, 07:09 AM
Hey Rackmup, It's hardy a battle of wits when the other party has none. It's more like a massacre. /ccboard/images/icons/wink.gif I get a chuckle occassionally from it, but a little goes a long, long ways. I check out that other place every once in a while. I prefer the harmony here.

07-27-2002, 12:06 PM
Quote: stickman: I get a chuckle occassionally from it, but a little goes a long ways.

I think most folks enjoy reading or writing something with satire, sarcasm or criticism of silly or provoking posts. Sometimes you feel like your going to burst if you don't say anything, right? That is why I don't support boycotts against a particular poster or thread.

However, there are a couple of techniques I know of that help avoid hurt feelings and provocation.

1) Say how you feel. No one can dispute that you feel something; or reasonably argue that your not entitled to your feelings, even if they don't feel the same way.

2) Criticize what a person said, not the person. You can make your point, and the other person will usually accept that you disagree or dislike what they said. It is less likely that they will gladly suffer being personally insulted or even criticized, not matter how witty you are when you phrase it.

This is similar to what Rod quoted from the charming Amy Vanderbilt: "[Parents] must get across the idea that "I love you always, but sometimes I do not love your behavior."

3) Don't expect everyone to agree with you, no matter how right you think you are.

There's more, of course, but those are a couple things that I can think of right now. Take it for what it's worth. I learned some of this stuff in some Sensitively or Customer Relations course I took a long time ago. Perhaps some will find it useful.

Voodoo Daddy
07-27-2002, 06:08 PM
Flame Wars? WTF is that? I'll the first to sign up for a good verbal battle {a Voodoo downfall no doubt} but its only as good as your opponent. Now Ken and I have chased some bad guys on other boards with bats and sticks...but here? I'll keep a low profile until ALPHA or Bernie come back...HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Troy
07-27-2002, 08:06 PM
But Ken, your "translation" series WAS hilarious !!!!!

Troy

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: rackmup:</font><hr> HEY! I RESEMBLE THAT REMARK!

I too, engage in the battle of wits but not here at the CCB. I have too much respect for the board members here and to be quite honest, I'm re-evaluating the whole "flaming" scene and considering retirement.

"Fat Boy?" I was just called that on another board! Coincidence? Hmmmmm...

Regards,

Ken <hr></blockquote>

Barbara
07-28-2002, 08:33 AM
Yes it was, Troy!! He had me in stitches a couple of times.

Barbara~~~still laughing...

Sid_Vicious
07-28-2002, 10:16 AM
You got that right! I'll add another troublesome tangent to this though, that being that internally generated moderators to the behavior patterns here on the Chalk Board CAN in themselves fuel up bickering over "my group" doesn't approve of "your group's" beliefs. I've found this to be about, if not more conducive to flame wars as is one poster beginning them on an individual basis.

So I present the theory that we do not get quick to judge what's right and wrong here. It usually is very apparent when it is wrong, and most times it's a worse direction for someone to decide to dictate to the rest that something is inappropriate. Time will tell that truth without any help...sid

Chris Cass
07-28-2002, 07:12 PM
I can't speak for others but, I myself am a Angel.

C.C.

Karatemom
07-28-2002, 10:26 PM
Yeah, right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Heide ~ knows better

Rod
07-28-2002, 11:11 PM
That sounds kind of like me- C.C., except I lost my wings and am temporarily grounded. Jeez the big guy just can't take a joke.