PDA

View Full Version : The case for impeachment.....

wolfdancer
08-11-2007, 01:26 AM
I believe that Bill Moyer's guests made a good case for the impeachment of both GWB and Cheney.
Besides the charges of high crimes and misdemeanors, impeachment for both arrogance and the misuse of the Presidential Pardon privilege were addressed by the framers.
Impeachment is not a punishment against these two, but a check against future abuse of their respective offices.
They also took Nancy Pelosi, and her fellow Democrats to task for not demanding impeachment hearings.
It's gross hypocrisy for anyone to believe that Clinton should have been impeached for lying under oath, and then continue to support a President that has refused to let his staff testify...stalling any investigation into his wrongdoings...and his own Congressional subpoena...

nAz
08-11-2007, 02:38 AM
Hmm you obviously have a good grasp of the situation, it's not about "gotcha or revenge". "Impeachment is not a punishment against these two, but a check against future abuse of their respective offices." how are all these Bush supporters going to feel when lets say Hilary or some ultra liberal starts to use and abuse all the new powers that has been given to this and future presidents.

I don't know... maybe I and the 52% of Americans that want impeachment are the true Nutty ones.

pooltchr
08-11-2007, 07:03 AM
Let's be practical for a minute. GW has 16 months left in office. Our government moves at a snail's pace on everything of any significance. Impeachment would have to go through committee study, charges made, charges proved, votes taken, legal wrangling on both sides...he will be long gone before anything could even come of it.
Steve

wolfdancer
08-11-2007, 03:31 PM
That issue was addressed...it's wrong to overlook the crimes, just because of time constraints....

nAz
08-11-2007, 03:36 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote pooltchr:</font><hr> Let's be practical for a minute. GW has 16 months left in office. Our government moves at a snail's pace on everything of any significance. Impeachment would have to go through committee study, charges made, charges proved, votes taken, legal wrangling on both sides...he will be long gone before anything could even come of it.
Steve <hr /></blockquote>

Well i understand your point Steve, however it should still happen. it has to happen in order for future leaders to understand that lying to this country and abusing their powers will not be tolerated by any red blooded American, this should be a uniting factor for all Americans.

Right know i looks like the Democratic front runners are all right with this, they don't want impeachment... shooot their next inline to do the abusing.

pooltchr
08-11-2007, 04:01 PM
nAz,
You may have a very good point here. As our government grows and evolves, it has more and more control over our lives...and those in office have more and more power. Not a good thing, in my opinion.

I don't think our founding fathers ever considered the possibility that we could end up with career politicians. I believe the idea was to have people take a few years to work in a "service" capacity to make our government work, then return to their real job. But when there is so much money at stake, people's motivations change.

It doesn't help that they have the power to give themselves raises. How many businesses could remain fiscally sound if the employees were allowed to give themselves a raise??? The other consideration is term limits...but if you already have a high-paying cushy job, why would you want to end your contract? I don't think that is going to happen.

Maybe people will get fed up with the government constantly picking our pockets and do something about it. Something has to give. The signs are all around that our system of government is falling apart. When others are allowed to abuse our system, and we don't do anything about it, we are at fault. This is why I ultimately believe that the liberal way of thinking is not the way to go. While I am very disappointed in the fact that the Republicans have moved away from their conservative values, I don't think the Democrats will be any better. It just might be time for a real 3rd party alternative. Unfortunately, the Reps and Dems will do everything they can to prevent it. They don't want to have to cut up the pie any more.

Steve