PDA

View Full Version : 2002 APA Championships - Las Vegas - CCBers going

preacherman
07-26-2002, 08:49 AM
2002 APA National Team Championships is in Las Vegas from August 18th - 24th, 2002 at the Riviera. Any of you CCBers going to be there? I'm planning on going if I can! Look
forward to hearing from you all, and hopefully meeting some of you in Las Vegas.

Jim (preacherman)
goproclaim@aol.com

PQQLK9
07-26-2002, 09:43 AM
Jim's going to Sin City /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gifoh well Mohammed went to the mountain...have a good time Jim...

07-26-2002, 08:38 PM
They that are well need not a physician, but they that are sick. Matthew 9:12

I am going to sin city, as that is a place that is
a greatest need for the Gospel (Good News). What a
GREAT mission field without going out of our country!

Jim :-)

preacherman
07-27-2002, 08:22 PM
APA in Las Vegas in August is anyone going???
I here no one mention this event, but many
mention US Open. Why is this so?

Thanks,
Jim

Tom_In_Cincy
07-27-2002, 09:46 PM
Maybe because the 27th US Open is a Pro Trounament, with a lot more to offer pool players from a spectator viewpoint.

Good luck at Vegas.

Rip
07-28-2002, 09:04 AM
A. Hopkins is also having a little get together in LV during the APA tournament. Click on the link for details.
http://www.allenhopkinsproductions.com/
Rip

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr> Maybe because the 27th US Open is a Pro Trounament, with a lot more to offer pool players from a spectator viewpoint.

Good luck at Vegas. <hr></blockquote>

Tom_In_Cincy
07-28-2002, 10:38 AM
Rip,
Thanks for the info, I didn't know Allen Hopkins was promoting a tournament. Going to Vegas is not one of my choices compared to what is listed below.

Maybe some forum posters could answer with their own reasons for not going.. Mine are just a matter of chioce.

Sept US OPEN
Nov Glass City Open
Jan Derby City Classic
Jan Capitol City Classic
Jan Berhman's new All Round Championship tournament

I would much rather travel to cooler (temperature wise) places when on vacation..

Rip
07-28-2002, 12:49 PM
Tom, I'll attend the Hopkins event in order to bring home a Gabriels table being used in the tournament. I doubt I'd bother except that the Riviera is only 15 minutes away. It's certainly not a major event comparable to any you've listed. I'm originally from Virginia Beach and I'm thinking about visiting in September for the Open. I already have my hotel and airline tix for Derby City in January so maybe I'll have the privilege of meeting you there. I usually don't spend much time at home in July and August as I prefer the cooler temps in Colorado this time of year. In fact, I'll be interrupting a Colorado fishing trip to arrange the Gabriels table deal. Then I'll double back and sneak up on all those fat trout! Cheers, Rip

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr> Rip,
Thanks for the info, I didn't know Allen Hopkins was promoting a tournament. Going to Vegas is not one of my choices compared to what is listed below.

Maybe the some forum posters could answer with their own reasons for not going.. Mine are just a matter of chioce.

Sept US OPEN
Nov Glass City Open
Jan Derby City Classic
Jan Capitol City Classic
Jan Berhman's new All Round Championship tournament

I would much rather travel to cooler (temperature wise) places when on vacation.. <hr></blockquote>

preacherman
07-28-2002, 11:41 PM
Thank you for the website and more info about what will be going on in Las Vegas (pool world).

Jim

preacherman
07-28-2002, 11:47 PM
Tom,
I wasn't orginally going but doors have opened in that direction. Personally I though they would be giving away plane-fare and hotels for Mid-August. Not so!!! Paying more than I did in May for BCA (amatuer and pro's) Who would want to go to Las Vegas in August!!! It's so hot!
But then I said maybe some crazy pool players would, I guess I'm one of the crazy ones. LOL

Jim

preacherman
07-28-2002, 11:51 PM
Sounds acceptable - I just thought there would be some response for Las Vegas APA tournament.

Also I'm on vacation in the end of Sept. otherwise I would love to go to the U.S. Open.

Jim

SpiderMan
07-29-2002, 09:03 AM
Jim,

I think one reason the APA event in 'Vegas is so sparsely-attended is that it is actually just the "finals" of the team competition. Local leagues have a division championship, then a regional competition. You have to get through both of these eliminations to be invited to compete in 'Vegas.

Contrast this with the BCA nationals, where any BCA member willing to pay his entry fee and expenses can compete at the national level. The BCA nationals are a huge event, the APA nationals are a small finale to a huge event.

I'm not saying one of these formats is necessarily better than the other, just making the observation. This year I qualified for the APA national singles event in 'Vegas. There were only about 275 players there! A week later I went to BCA nationals and there were thousands, because there is no local qualifying required.

SpiderMan

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: preacherman:</font><hr> APA in Las Vegas in August is anyone going???
I here no one mention this event, but many
mention US Open. Why is this so?

Thanks,
Jim <hr></blockquote>

Rich R.
07-29-2002, 09:16 AM
You are exactly right SpiderMan. My APA team played in a total of 10 rounds of playoffs before getting eliminated for the trip to Vegas. That is a long way to go, just to get into the show. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif Rich R.

preacherman
07-29-2002, 09:35 PM
Thanks Spiderman,
I believe you gave me the best answer to my question.

I am going to Las Vegas to work in a booth AND to do some other ministerial things while there - I ran out of time in May. I told my wife I need more time in Las Vegas so I'm going :-)

Also I am a BCA member so I am not real familiar with how APA worked, now I understand :-)

Jim (goproclaim@aol.com)