PDA

View Full Version : Horse Racing from Australia

DickLeonard
08-13-2007, 11:00 AM
MadMac our local OTB parlor's have betting from Aussie Land. Any tips on Best Jockeys,Trainers?

cushioncrawler
08-13-2007, 04:30 PM
Dick -- No, i have never followed the GeegGee'z. I think its a mug'z game, i think that the Bookyz rake off about 30%, and the TAB possibly 10% or 15%. With odds like that i might as well play the slots. But i know that lots of people like to have a few bucks on the quadrella etc that might pay $10,000. Me, i used to take lunch money off my work mates by assuming that the whole thing (trotting aktually) iz rigged, i betted on horses that showed ok form months back, but hadnt done much lately. madMac.

DickLeonard
08-15-2007, 10:55 AM
MadMac I don't know about your bookies being involved at all. At OTB All winners pay a % back to OTB not counting what the losers pay.

I am only interested in Saratoga, but any race bug can get their fill of horse racing from Monmuth,Arlington park,Ellis Park,California Racing which starts 3 hours behind. Harness is for night time except when the run they run the Habletonian. Harness Racing has many flaws in it. The biggests is why is that driver looking like he is holding the horse back. ####

wolfdancer
08-15-2007, 03:18 PM
Dick, when I was in Australia...the horse racing was great, if you were there. Trying to get a line on the odds from here though???? For many, it's a family outing,a day at the races, and more of a chance to watch the action, then to bet on them. For the "punter" though...you had a choice of betting the tote line, or shopping for odds among the legal on-track bookies. Then you could make up your own quinellas, your own daily doubles, and bet on other tracks, which were racing.
They also seemed to race 14 to 18 horses per race...and raced counter clockwise ....being Aussie, everything is done bass ackwards...
Syndicates comprised of just avg working men, would lease a horse, and race him, hoping they had the next "Phar Lap" on their hands.
Near as I can tell, the legendary Phar Lap was the only Arabian thoroughbred ever, over there. most of the rest would be pulling milk wagons over here.....
Them syndicates, by the way, tended to over race the horse, and having a horse "break down" wasn't that uncommon...
In short, I'd rather bet on Greg Norman to win a Major Golf tournament, then bet on one of them farm plowing horses to win a race

cushioncrawler
08-15-2007, 03:55 PM
Woolfy -- U karnt drive far around ozz without seeing racing tracks everywhere -- in allmost every little town. Or, the track might be long-gone, but the "Racecourse Road" name signs are still everywhere. Many of the golf courses started off by living in the middle of the (now dead) track. Many a time my golf ball haz hit the damned racing rail (Rochester GC) and returned to the tee. If u want to make money at the track then get a metal detector -- the biggest "beeeeps" are horseshoes. madMac.

wolfdancer
08-15-2007, 05:35 PM
I hit 'em all from Brisbane, to Adelaide, to Perth.
Never enjoyed the races more, then I did over there.