PDA

View Full Version : The APA is perfect

jjinfla
08-16-2007, 05:20 PM
Why do people keep trying to change the APA?

It is there to serve a niche in the pool playing community and it does it very well. It is not for everyone, but then, playing at the professional level is not for everyone either.

The APA keeps growing and growing. As it grows the money keeps coming in and the owners keep enjoying their weekly trips to the bank.

So why think of changing something that works?

Jake

Bassn7
08-16-2007, 10:19 PM
Agree. I've been playing for 23 years and enjoy every night. Beautiful pool hall, plenty of tables, no quarters, no time cost and tons of teams. Going to Vegas for my 7th time. Awesome.

dave666
08-17-2007, 12:07 PM
i dont think the apa is so great!!! around here(peoria,il)
you dont even get $ back anymore /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif. you get credit to buy apa junk. the league ops are making the league not worth playing. try the bca or the acs and see how you like them.

SKennedy
08-17-2007, 12:10 PM
Does it promote the game in a positive way? Does it generate new players and interest in the game among a variety of people? Yes, it does. That's what's important. This should not be a contest between APA and BCA, or others. There's plenty of room for everyone and it allows individual players to have a choice.
I'm in my second session of APA and had never played league prior to this. As for rules, I prefer BCA, but from what little I know, I think APA is better for a "handicap" league that is really trying to level the playing field. For a lower level player, that's a good thing as most handicap systems still favor the more skilled player. For example, in APA the table is not open after the break if a legal ball goes in a pocket, but in BCA the table is still open. To me, an open table after the break, regardless of how many and which balls drop, is an advantage to the more skilled player.

BigRigTom
08-17-2007, 12:11 PM
Well "Perfect" is a bit strong but the APA is the best system I have seen or read about. It may have flaws and certainly it has it's share of critics but so far I don't believe the critics have come forward with a better system to accomplish all the things the APA has already obtained much less more.

I like the APA and the longer I play in it the more I am convinced that it is a VERY GOOD system and getting better all the time.

jjinfla
08-18-2007, 07:04 PM
Do I play in it? No. Do I even like it? No. But for Bell and Hilliard (I think that is the names of the two who started the league) it sure is working for them. So for them it is perfect. Surely you all didn't think I was thinking about it being perfect for the playes now did you?

They took PT Barnum's saying to heart and made it work for them. The great world of pool is filled with suckers.

Jake

wolfdancer
08-19-2007, 01:19 AM
The APA is perfect!!!!!
all the way up to the SL-3 level....

billiards89
08-19-2007, 04:00 PM
i like the bca better than the apa this new tap pool leauge thats just getting around our area is better than the apa to i think. They keep track of more stuff for your handicap so u dont go up so easy it has a 25 handicap rule instead of 23 its call your pocket and open after the break but the handicap system is just like the apa as far as the races per skill level

heater451
08-20-2007, 07:18 PM
TAP (http://www.tapleague.com/) rules are very similar to the APA rules, with some influence of BCA. However, instead of scoring "innings", as in APA, counts are made in the following boxes:

Completed shots (COMP)
Missed Shots (MISS)
Balls made on break (MOB)
Balls left on table (LOT)

Games are also kept, of course, and there are extra boxes for "Break and Run", and "8-ball on the break". Recently, they also added "Early 8", and there is a "Dead Balls" box.

It seems complicated, but you're really just marking each thing as it happens. I have also found that it's easier to keep up that way, as opposed to waiting for an APA inning to finish, as I have a short attention span sometimes.

All that being said, if I were to create a new league, I would probably go with TAP scoring, but play the "round-robin" format of BCA, with 4-person teams, and everyone plays a race to 3. Of course the goal of this would be to be a more social league, with a slightly less emphasis on competition than the other leagues. Perhaps, the handicapping could be kept in the background, and then at the end of a session, tournaments could be broken into the handicap groupings. Just some thoughts. . . .

Jager85
08-21-2007, 11:38 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SKennedy:</font><hr> Does it promote the game in a positive way? Does it generate new players and interest in the game among a variety of people? Yes, it does. That's what's important. This should not be a contest between APA and BCA, or others. There's plenty of room for everyone and it allows individual players to have a choice.
I'm in my second session of APA and had never played league prior to this. As for rules, I prefer BCA, but from what little I know, I think APA is better for a "handicap" league that is really trying to level the playing field. For a lower level player, that's a good thing as most handicap systems still favor the more skilled player. For example, in APA the table is not open after the break if a legal ball goes in a pocket, but in BCA the table is still open. To me, an open table after the break, regardless of how many and which balls drop, is an advantage to the more skilled player. <hr /></blockquote>

I agree that all leagues are good and I also prefer BCA rules. However I still play in APA because my wife likes the handicap system, other than more than half of the players are 1-2 SL's lower than they should be here in Aurora, IL.

Jager

eg8r
08-22-2007, 09:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
TAP rules are very similar to the APA rules, with some influence of BCA. However, instead of scoring "innings", as in APA, counts are made in the following boxes:

Completed shots (COMP)
Missed Shots (MISS)
Balls made on break (MOB)
Balls left on table (LOT)

Games are also kept, of course, and there are extra boxes for "Break and Run", and "8-ball on the break". Recently, they also added "Early 8", and there is a "Dead Balls" box.

It seems complicated, but you're really just marking each thing as it happens. <hr /></blockquote> That does not sound complicated but my goodness who wants to think about all that crap while trying to concentrate on the game? Do people complain about having to track all that info while they are playing?

eg8r

okinawa77
08-22-2007, 07:45 PM
I see the league as an opportunity to test my skills against other players. And in some cases, it allows me to play strong local champs that would not play me outside of the league.

As far as handicap systems and what not, I don't really care. If the league says I have to give an SL5 2 games or 10 games...doesn't really matter to me.

The greater the challenge, the sweeter the victory.

Tony_in_MD
08-23-2007, 05:27 AM
Teams have a score keeper who handles marking the info on the scoresheet.

Rich R.
08-23-2007, 06:34 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote okinawa77:</font><hr> I see the league as an opportunity to test my skills against other players. And in some cases, it allows me to play strong local champs that would not play me outside of the league.

As far as handicap systems and what not, I don't really care. If the league says I have to give an SL5 2 games or 10 games...doesn't really matter to me.

The greater the challenge, the sweeter the victory. <hr /></blockquote>You have the right attitude.

The leagues are what they are. It's no fun for a high level player to beat up on a low level player. The handicaps make the playing field a little more even. The players who complain about it are usually the ones who are afraid to lose to the lower level player. In the end, it is no different than gambling and giving up some games on the wire.

I enjoy the challenge, regardless of what level player I play.

eg8r
08-23-2007, 07:03 AM
Phew. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r