PDA

View Full Version : Re: Cloth (Baize) Color and Eye Strain?

Santeh
08-19-2007, 01:14 PM
Hello all,

I am in the process of refelting the cloth on my Brunswick (Valley) Cougar 8'X4' coin-op table and had a question. It was my understanding that some types of cloth can produce eye strain when played for long periods of time. I was wondering if anyone knew if this was correct and, if so, which color(s) might have the best/worst impact on eye strain? For example, I have heard that more "energetic" colors, such as red, actually cause greater eye strain over a long playing session than a "cooler" color, such as green.

For what it is worth, I am thinking of refelting with Simonis 860 (from my understanding it's good for both 8 and 9 ball) Dark Green cloth on the table since the sides have a darker wood grain.

Thanks all!

mantis
08-19-2007, 04:03 PM
You should not have any trouble with dark green. My table is all maple with a dark green felt. I have never noticed any strain, and would think this would only be applicable with brighter colors, and probably only for certain people, just as the rainbow effect with DLP projectors is only applicable to certain people.

Santeh
08-19-2007, 05:59 PM
Hello!

Thanks for the reply! I am glad to hear that the dark green cloth has worked well for you. I have to admit that it does look nice with the wood grain! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif So far my wife and I considered Blue-green, Simonis Green (looks like traditional green), camel/gold. and the dark green colors. In the end I think we will go with the dark green.

Thanks again!

ken_r
08-19-2007, 07:54 PM
The Simonis tournament blue is supposed to be the best color for reduced eye strain and seeing the ball. According to the folks at Diamond they consulted an expert and got the best color and then went to Simonis with that information.

bsmutz
08-20-2007, 12:07 PM
I'll put in another vote for the blue. I have green on both my tables, but when a local bar installed blue 860 on their tables, I could definitely notice the difference in how easy it was to see the balls compared to the green. On my snooker table with 760, the dark green makes the green six or snooker 3 harder to see the edges of. I have lighter green (normal pool hall green) on the pool table (860).

BilliardTouch
08-26-2007, 02:52 PM
I am in the market and kind of partial to the "burgundy" that you see from time to time, is that bad for the eyes really?

I know I have never had an issue playing at the local bar, but then, I might have other things "straining my eyes" like too many beers and too many women LOL.