PDA

View Full Version : Major action ($10,000) at Kickshot Billiards

BillPorter
08-21-2007, 04:16 PM
We have a match between Chris Bartrum and Tommy D'Alfonso that will take place tomorrow (Wednesday) afternoon about 5:30 PM. It is my understanding that they are going to play two sets at $5,000 per set. I believe that the sets will be ten ahead. You can call Doug at Kickshot for directions (859-647-7468). Kickshot is in Northern KY about 20 minutes south of Downtown Cincinnati. Ya'll come on down!

(Quick directions: From I-75, take exit 181 and go west about 1.5 miles until you see a Shell Station and a McDonalds on your right. Turn right at that light and drive around to the buildings behind the tractor supply place.)

Fran Crimi
08-21-2007, 05:03 PM
Hi Bill,

I could never understand how ahead sets can be considered a true test of skill. After a certain point, it just becomes a matter of who's in better physical shape. A weaker player can sometimes outlast a stronger player in ahead sets if he's in better shape.

On the other hand, a race to 13 or 15 will give you a definite winner and an opportunity for the second set to be played within the same day, and with a long race, luck won't be much of a factor. Even if you play win by 2, it's at least more reasonable than 10 ahead.

Fran

BillPorter
08-21-2007, 05:23 PM
Fran,

I just shared your post with Tommy (he and Chris are hitting a few balls just behind me). He agreed that it is sometimes just stamina. But of course, he believes he's going to get 10 ahead within a few hours. I'm sure Chris believes is just as confident.

Fran Crimi
08-21-2007, 05:44 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote BillPorter:</font><hr> Fran,

I just shared your post with Tommy (he and Chris are hitting a few balls just behind me). He agreed that it is sometimes just stamina. But of course, he believes he's going to get 10 ahead within a few hours. I'm sure Chris believes is just as confident. <hr /></blockquote>

Ha! Ain't technology great, Bill? Well, if neither of them were confident, they'd really be nuts to even be playing. I hope you'll post updates for us.

An old boyfriend of mine once matched up at Chelsea Billiards for 39 hours straight. Set a poolroom record. I went to work, came home, went to sleep went back to work and went back to the poolroom. They were still playing. You don't want to know what kind of shape they were in afterwards. They both looked like they were ready for the hospital.

Regards,
Fran

BillPorter
08-22-2007, 08:13 PM
Chris Bartrum won the 10 ahead set tonight for $5,000. They are supposed to play another $5,000 set tomorrow at the same time (5:30 PM).

Ralph S.
08-22-2007, 10:14 PM
As I said on another forum, that Chris Bartrum is one bad bay on the tables. I knew this was gonna be easy for him.

nAz
08-24-2007, 11:33 AM
hm what was the final score and if possible how long did it take? thanxs

BillPorter
08-24-2007, 05:44 PM
I can't resist saying that the score at the end of a 10 ahead set is always the winner being 10 games ahead. And that was Chris Bartum for both sets. The first set took about 3 hours as I recall and the second took about 6 hours. If you want to read a shot-by-shot summary of the second set, here's a link: http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=71758

cjt08046
08-28-2007, 07:36 AM
I read that play-by-play on the other site. Thanks for doing that--I felt like I was there.

BillPorter
08-28-2007, 09:35 AM
Thanks! I had to type my butt off to keep up and doubt I will be doing that again any time soon.

Righty
09-01-2007, 07:44 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fran Crimi:</font><hr> Hi Bill,

I could never understand how ahead sets can be considered a true test of skill. After a certain point, it just becomes a matter of who's in better physical shape. A weaker player can sometimes outlast a stronger player in ahead sets if he's in better shape.

On the other hand, a race to 13 or 15 will give you a definite winner and an opportunity for the second set to be played within the same day, and with a long race, luck won't be much of a factor. Even if you play win by 2, it's at least more reasonable than 10 ahead.

Fran <hr /></blockquote>

Fran, an ahead set is the way good players want to gamble because they can string racks. If two mediocre players play an ahead set, you are right, its a test of stamina, and they might just call it a draw since neither of them can string racks to get ahead. If you played anywhere nearly as good as them, you would understand. But you dont. No offense but its true.