PDA

View Full Version : drawing on table?

eat_sleep_pool
08-21-2007, 11:31 PM
i was just wondering if its a good idea, (for training purposes) to draw a line from each dimond to the next creating boxes. as sort of a grid on your table. would this throw your tourny games off? by changing the envrionment that your used to playing on?

another thing is would there be another way to do this without using a marker, my moms table lol. maybe a sticker like tape to put on the table. or would this greatly affect the balls roll etc. what would be good to use, i want little circle stickers too, for practicing, so i can make sure its the exact same shot over and over... thanks

"i need a new shaft, i stroke this one too much"

wolfdancer
08-22-2007, 12:32 AM
I'm not sure about this...but maybe washable chalk would work?

pooltchr
08-22-2007, 04:25 AM
Go to Lowes or Home Depot and get a carpenter's chalk line. You can snap a straight line with chalk, and when you are done training, brush or gently vacuum the cloth to clean it up.
Steve

ken_r
08-22-2007, 07:04 AM
FYI - If you are going to use the chalk line idea be careful of which chalk you get. They are not all the same. You want the "dust off" stuff and not the "permanent staining".

Fran Crimi
08-22-2007, 07:19 AM
Just my opinion but you don't need to draw lines all over your table to have a good practice session. Players have been getting great for decades and decades without owning their own pool table. No poolroom would allow those players to draw the kind of grid you're talking about.

As far as setting up the same shot over and over, setting up approximately the same shot is just as good. No need to get all caught up in being perfect with that.

I know a few players who have turned their practice sessions into their reality on the table. All they knew how to do was practice. When it came to performing, they fell apart. Be careful about falling into that hole. It's tough to climb out.

Fran

Deeman3
08-22-2007, 07:40 AM
If you need a reference point you might consider those little plastic hole reinforcements that could be placed at the intersections of the diamonds on the table. You mind will connect the dots in your head and you can mentally see the lines you are thinking about and you can very easily remove them. However, like Fran said, those are probably not needed as, in pool, you are more concerned, or should be, with ball travel paths and not grid lines. Like she said, people have been learning for years/decades/centuries this way and mental memory is better developed that way, rather than a crutch.

I do like the circles as it makes the placement of balls easier after a shot to replicate the same one. They are so small, balls don't seem to skid much on them.

eat_sleep_pool
08-22-2007, 08:48 AM
hey guys thanks for the info, the reason i wanted the grids, and is futher emagin the path of the qball using the lines etc as a ref'. i was thinking something less permanent also bc i want to practice with and without the grids. i figured maybe if they help me learn the path then i can take that to my real game, and and the exact path from the practice with the grids. seems like it might be a better visulisation of where the ball is going, rather then just noticing where it hits the rails etc. i think that if i can play with the grid, i can take that to my game and picture it on the table, u have to admit its got to help in some way. lol ps no one said if they thought working on a grid would throw someone off there leauge games on tables obviously with out them

one of the reasons i want to use the stickers the practice the exact same shot is bc im learning "the pro book dvd series 'the sweet 16' by bob henning".

Bob_Jewett
08-22-2007, 10:45 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eat_sleep_pool:</font><hr> ... one of the reasons i want to use the stickers the practice the exact same shot i... <hr /></blockquote>
I think it is usually much, much better to vary the shot between tries. Take no more than three consecutive tries at the same shot. If you can't do a shot in three tries, make the shot easier and continue. If you can make it all three times, make the shot harder and continue.

mworkman
08-25-2007, 03:40 PM
Hi! I practice Hennings sweet 16. I found it helpful to put little dots with a magic marker on all the spots so I can quickly set up the shots. You can hardly notice them and it's not a distraction. As long as you aren't trying to win a contest for the best looking table, I say go for it. I also had drawn the mighty X on my table a few years back, and I found those drills to be helpful too. I spend more time practicing then I do playing which is a bummer, but, I have to have my priorities in order.

eat_sleep_pool
08-25-2007, 07:24 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote mworkman:</font><hr> Hi! I practice Hennings sweet 16. <hr /></blockquote>

Hey how do u like them? are they working well for u?

mworkman
09-09-2007, 08:24 AM
Yep, I like it. Only do it maybe a couple times a week or so. It remindes me of the different routes back to center. Helps alot with speed control and the use of english. Sometimes in a match I will say to myself "that's just like shot 11b".