PDA

View Full Version : is it just me?

eat_sleep_pool
08-22-2007, 11:46 AM
i dont know about anyone else, but this form makes me feel like i know notting about too, and to be honest a little intimidated to post something. lol i feel like i should be posting in the newbie section. now iv been playing for 6 years, atleast 3 times a week for 6 years, obviously some weeks no practice at all. anyways im a decent shot, i can run a rack of 8ball once in a while. but yet i come on here and all of a suddent i feel like i know notting about pool. lol everyones so tecnical its incredible. i look up to alot of ppl on here, that just seem to know so much about the game, and i hope one day to achive that level.

SKennedy
08-22-2007, 12:01 PM
I'm new to the forum as well. I agree that there are some folks on here that really know their stuff. I like that and plan on using any information I can obtain to help my game. My problem is consistency. Last week shot great! This week I'm terrible. That's why I will always be an amateur at best!

eat_sleep_pool
08-22-2007, 12:50 PM
the sad thing is iv been on here for a few years now lol

scaramouche
08-22-2007, 01:15 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SKennedy:</font><hr> I'm new to the forum as well. I agree that there are some folks on here that really know their stuff. I like that and plan on using any information I can obtain to help my game. My problem is consistency. Last week shot great! This week I'm terrible. That's why I will always be an amateur at best! <hr /></blockquote>

I started to poke around on these boards a couple of years ago when I atarted to play again - after about 30 years, never having had a lesson or read a book on the subject.

Read some books, watched video on the web, but had your problem. Based on the recommendations I read, I booked into one of the 3 day Cue-Tech schools put on by Randy G.

Save your pennies and book time with a good instructor. You will get the tools to shoot more consistently because you will learn:
What you should be doing
How to trouble shoot your stroke
The drills to make practice productive by building good habits

Deeman3
08-22-2007, 01:25 PM
While some of the discussion may sound intimidating, most of us on here just like to express our thoughts about the game. None of us own this forum and you should not feel intimidated by any of us. Now, if you say something one of us does not agree with, you will likely here a rebuttal and sometimes we are just wrong. However, there is a lot of knowledge here and the benefit of some of the best minds (mine not among them) in the pool community. We range from very poor players to very advanced but share a common love of the game. If we offend or intimidate most of us don't intend that. However, the nature of this forum is to get others input and share knowledge and I feel I have always been treated fairly by most. As well,some of us, as old timers, may feel that a subject has been covered to such an extent that it is redundant beyond belief not considereing that many may not have had the opportunity to see the many posts we have seen.

Please don't feel intimidated as most on here just want to help. Sometimes they do.

SKennedy
08-22-2007, 03:35 PM
Exactly guys....I'm new to the forum but will make myself right at home. While I'm a newbie, I am not new to pool. I was fairly decent at one time as I played at least 2 hours/day. I did not play much for about 28 years or so, and have recently taken it back up (this last year). The first 2 tournaments I played (small and local) I actually won! I also play in an APA league, but am disappointed at the level I'm currently playing. In tournaments I beat level 6's and 7's, yet last Sunday I lost 2 straight games to a level 3 player.
No matter who you are, there is always something to learn. I've enjoyed this site so far.

randyg
08-22-2007, 03:41 PM
Only if that's what you want to be......SPF=randyg

pooltchr
08-22-2007, 06:42 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman3:</font><hr> However, there is a lot of knowledge here and the benefit of some of the best minds (mine not among them) in the pool community. <hr /></blockquote>

I have read your book, so I know better!

To the original poster, don't be intimidated at all. The forum is a free flow of information. I am fortunate that I actually have people pay me to help them improve their playing skills...and the best part is that I can almost always learn something from my students in the process. Everyone has something worth sharing.
Steve

Rich R.
08-23-2007, 06:41 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SKennedy:</font><hr>I was fairly decent at one time as I played at least 2 hours/day. I did not play much for about 28 years or so, and have recently taken it back up (this last year). <hr /></blockquote>This puts you in the exact same catagory as many of us. You will fit right in around here. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SKennedy
08-23-2007, 08:23 AM
Thanks Rich. I guess that old saying is true? The older I get, the better I was!

wolfdancer
08-23-2007, 10:59 AM
Dee, very well written....most folks here just want to share their enjoyment of the game, and maybe pass along a tip or two...and we are fortunate to have some very good players, like yourself, and Dick Leonard, Fred Agnir, etc...some great teaching pros, RandyG, Fran Crimi, Scott Lee, Bob Jewett, Steve...(the problem with citing names...you always forget to mention a few)
The only player/poster here that intimidated me...and I've been on this board for a few years.....was Patrick....everything he wrote..writ?...was over my head.

BigRigTom
08-23-2007, 03:04 PM
It's not just you!
We all get stung once in a while.
I too am a student of the game. Played most of my life but am just starting to truly appreciate how complex this game can be.
Hang in there and learn then share....that is what it's all about.
Some one will always let you know if you are out of line and that is not always a bad thing.
You'll find lots of pool knowledge here, maybe more than most places.
Enjoy it all!

Rich R.
08-23-2007, 08:59 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr>The only player/poster here that intimidated me...and I've been on this board for a few years.....was Patrick....everything he wrote..writ?...was over my head.<hr /></blockquote>To be a little more accurate, everything Patrick wrote was out of this world. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Deeman3
08-24-2007, 07:12 AM
Remember, Patrick and FL were not form this planet, that could intimidate anyone. Wanna see my 27 rail no gravity bank shot? Oops, I lost the video. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Chopstick
08-24-2007, 09:04 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr>The only player/poster here that intimidated me...and I've been on this board for a few years.....was Patrick....everything he wrote..writ?...was over my head.<hr /></blockquote>To be a little more accurate, everything Patrick wrote was out of this world. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Where is ol' Patrick? He was fun. Every board needs it's own certified freaking nut. I can't do it all by myself. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif