PDA

View Full Version : maybe downtown was right

bluewolf
07-26-2002, 02:36 PM
i got on this forum several months ago and then went away because i did not understand the terminology you guys were using. i mean i like to play pool a lot. sometimes i do some pretty advanced stuff, but have no clue what it is called.i mean i like to try new stuff and discuss my concept with others and get their opinion on whether they think it would work.

and last nite was league night and i sat beside my husband. after the break, if nothing went in or the player had choice, i told my husband whether they should choose highs or lows and why.if he did not agree,he told me why.then watching the player, i told him the sequence of the balls i thought the player should shoot, the english and desired position.if he saw it another way,he told me and why. we do the same thing with safety shots.when to play safe and which one to play,etc.

downtown said all my posts were meaningless but i have to say in all the bantering back and forth with him, he never hurt my feelings. i knew it was a game.

but others did hurt my feelings.not that it is their fault cuz i am responsible for my own feelings and if i let what someone says get to me.

considering i dont know what you guys are talking about half the time with your terminology and i dont want to bore you to death with a bunch of dumb questions, maybe i dont even belong here.

maybe i have nothing to contribute here even tho i like to play pool cuz so much is going over my head.

bluewolf

Troy
07-26-2002, 02:42 PM
Hang in there B'wolf, the terminology is a whole lot easier to learn than this grand ol' game. Aside from that, why care what the naysayers think, just enjoy..... /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

Troy

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: bluewolf:</font><hr> i got on this forum several months ago and then went away because i did not understand the terminology you guys were using. i mean i like to play pool a lot. sometimes i do some pretty advanced stuff, but have no clue what it is called.i mean i like to try new stuff and discuss my concept with others and get their opinion on whether they think it would work.

and last nite was league night and i sat beside my husband. after the break, if nothing went in or the player had choice, i told my husband whether they should choose highs or lows and why.if he did not agree,he told me why.then watching the player, i told him the sequence of the balls i thought the player should shoot, the english and desired position.if he saw it another way,he told me and why. we do the same thing with safety shots.when to play safe and which one to play,etc.

downtown said all my posts were meaningless but i have to say in all the bantering back and forth with him, he never hurt my feelings. i knew it was a game.

but others did hurt my feelings.not that it is their fault cuz i am responsible for my own feelings and if i let what someone says get to me.

considering i dont know what you guys are talking about half the time with your terminology and i dont want to bore you to death with a bunch of dumb questions, maybe i dont even belong here.

maybe i have nothing to contribute here even tho i like to play pool cuz so much is going over my head.

bluewolf <hr></blockquote>

Tom_In_Cincy
07-26-2002, 02:43 PM
Bluewolf,
You and your observations, comments, questions, or just vents... are more than welcome.

The terminalogy is sometimes overwhelming.. to say the least. But, it took everyone time to learn. Ask any question and you will get more replies than you might think..

The only stupid question, is one that is not asked.

If you ask the question, and get the answer, you may be asking it while a lot of people wanting to, may not feel confortable asking.

Once again.. you are welcome. keep posting.. we can all learn from anyone... no one knows it all..

Kato
07-26-2002, 02:48 PM
Tom below is correct. I previously posted basically the same thing he did Bluewolf.

Kato

heater451
07-26-2002, 03:06 PM
Then again, one should also treat "Big" stuff as small, and "small" stuff as big. . . .

Knowing the vernacular is nice for communication purposes, but it doesn't really affect your game--if that's what matters more.

You can learn the verbage as you go along, by asking, or research. Some people may attack you, because they've forgotten what it means not to know what a carom shot is, but if you ask a question, I'm sure at least one response will answer it to your satisfaction.---Heck, I just found out what a tiki shot is, about 3 weeks ago, and I've been shooting them for years---I asked Fred (Agnir).
As for research, you can plug nearly any term you come across into Google--possibly with "billiards" or "pool" in the Advanced_search fields--and you'll get an answer quicker, but without the human interaction.

When it comes to "contributing" here, another viewpoint is always welcome. And, although you don't sound like a beginner to me, you should understand that there is a value to seeing things with "new eyes".

Group Test Question: How many people here know what a Rorschach test is, without peeking?

==========================

Tom_In_Cincy
07-26-2002, 03:10 PM
I am desparately trying to see what this has to do with pool..

http://www.xmag.com/archives/9-04-oct01/images/features/inknpink-rorschach.gif

Rod
07-26-2002, 03:10 PM
Quote, considering i dont know what you guys are talking about half the time with your terminology and i dont want to bore you to death with a bunch of dumb questions, maybe i dont even belong here.

bluewolf, we all start somewhere. Usually at the begining.lol We all ask a lot of questions and others come back with a reply to be helpful. We help each other.

Feel free to ask questions, if you don't it will be difficult to learn. I believe you mentioned you teach, correct me if wrong. I'm sure you get many questions. At any rate you like everyone is here to learn. We share information about the game, related news, books, videos, instruction etc. There are exceptions at times, but no one is going to think it a dumb question, so ask away. Sometimes people forget they started out without any knowledge. The more you ask the more you learn.

Get to know the group a little better, we have quite a few characters on this board so it can be very entertaining at times. If you really want to know more about pool and have a little fun in the process, this is a good place to be.

bluewolf
07-26-2002, 03:17 PM
sorry. i know what a rorshach test is. i used to give it all the time. sigh. smart in some things dumb in others

bluewolf

Nostroke
07-26-2002, 03:23 PM
You have to crawl before you walk (to coin a phrase)so my suggestion is to be patient, read and learn. Also, it sounds like you are playing bar league 8 ball. Get yourself to a real poolroom now and then. Go to a nine ball tournament in your area, watch the better players and talk to other attendees. I say nine ball because they outnumber 8 ball tournaments 10-1 .Go to azbilliards.com and other net sites and read their articles as well.

In the meantime if you need to know meanings of some terminology, use the "private message" feature here and ask your questions that way.(click on members name-look for "clickable" at bottom of resulting page) Ill be glad to answer as will 99% of the other members here. Im sure you will know who to avoid.

07-26-2002, 03:38 PM
can someone post the bob jewett f.a.q. link? that's probably the best intro to all this stuff.

dan

heater451
07-26-2002, 03:42 PM
I don't think this is the exact one, but it's a start. (too lazy to keep digging)

http://www.faqs.org/ftp/faqs/sports/billiards/faq

================

9 Ball Girl
07-26-2002, 03:44 PM
Hey Tom, the picture, IMO, is 3 mechanical bridges. What's the prize for guessing? /ccboard/images/icons/laugh.gif

Wendy~~always loves a challenge /ccboard/images/icons/crazy.gif

heater451
07-26-2002, 03:46 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: bluewolf:</font><hr> sorry. i know what a rorshach test is. i used to give it all the time. sigh. smart in some things dumb in others

bluewolf<hr></blockquote>. . .that was my point--I knew you'd know what a Rorschach test was. . . .

And regarding "smart in some things dumb in others", I think I can say that EVERYONE'S list of "things they don't know" is much longer than the list of "things they do know". . . .

Oh, yeah, and there's absolutely nothing to be sorry about.

====================

Tom_In_Cincy
07-26-2002, 03:50 PM
Hugs and kisses at the US Open..
followed by lots of shots..

phil in sofla
07-26-2002, 03:59 PM
Eddie whatsisname, who died recently, and was supposedly the original 'Fast Eddie,' has a lengthy couple hour instructional tape, and he obviously knew a thing or three about pool.

Yet, when it came time to discuss caroms, he pronounced them 'ka-ROOMs,' instead of the more normal 'KA-rums.'

phil in sofla
07-26-2002, 04:03 PM
I recognize that guy. Shot a little with him a couple months back. He's mean. Think he was mad that they killed him off in the 1st Star Wars prequel!

heater451
07-26-2002, 04:06 PM
Is that Darth Meucci you're talking about?

(Somewhat) Seriously though, I think it would make a cool butt-cap design--the light-saber shaft would take some getting used to tho'.

Chris Cass
07-26-2002, 04:11 PM
Ya know, fitting in here is easy. Just be honest and say what you feel. If we just be ourselves and ask to see the points others suggest, we can all learn. Whatever the level of your play is, we all learn.

Downtown, is actually not so bad. Sure, he can be insulting but that's him. Even though he can be this way at times, he can't be all that bad. He actually makes me laugh sometimes. Also, turned his pimp to a better color for us. He cares and dispite what he says, he likes it here. He's the James Dean of the family. I'm still trying to figure out where we picked up the alien. hahaha

Don't ever take anything so personal here enough, to stop coming. I'm Italian and take everything personal and would drive over half the country to get even. This is not a good thing. The best way to look at the board is, it's your family and you have to just get along. We have a great saying here I learned. "It's ok to agree to disagree." I've liked it since, I heard it.

To the beginner to the pros that post here. Patience, is the key. We are mostly a rainbow of skilled players and like all rainbows, one color needs the other to form a beautiful sight.

Regards,

C.C.~~Rambo' on my mind. hahahah

07-26-2002, 04:15 PM
I guess I'll start off by asking.... Who has ever come to this game knowing EVERYTHING about pool when you first started? Everyone knows that in the beginning we all had questions. I think that some, and I mean SOME more advanced players tend to forget what they went through when they were first started learning. I think it's great that people have questions about this game. There was a time that pool was just this mysterious game that no one really wanted to talk about and with the constant misconception of the game being this low run down activity that only the dingiest of players play,... I think that inviting people to learn more is what this is all about... including the chats and posts. How many times have you been to a poolhall where you have a friend or even just a familiar face that will take a few minutes to show you a shot on the table or even just make an innocent comment about something that may have just happened on the table as you watched?... Word of mouth, or in this case, just reading it up on the billboard is the best way to obtain knowledge. Getting up there and doing something with that knowledge is a true player in training. Not all of us knows everything about this game, so when you want to know... you ask!

07-26-2002, 04:58 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: heater451:</font><hr> I don't think this is the exact one, but it's a start. (too lazy to keep digging)

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.faqs.org/ftp/faqs/sports/billiards/faq>http://www.faqs.org/ftp/faqs/sports/billiards/faq</a>

================ <hr></blockquote>

perfect. i think he may have a newer update but that's the one.

thanks

dan

07-26-2002, 05:17 PM
bluewolf- I hope you don't go away entirely- and don't think you don't "belong" in this forum-anyone with a true interest in the game has every right to be a part of these discussions! hopefully you will find there are people out here who will be happy to answer questions without hurting feelings- but like any other aspect of life, some people are kind and considerate, some are jerks. one problem with communciation by email and posting is that the voice inflection, etc are not available to help you interpret the true sentiment behind someone's words, and sometimes what a poster may have meant as a gentle jest can come off in written form as hard, mean or cruel. on the other hand, there ARE people who care for nothing but trying to make themselves look important, whatever means it takes, which can include rudeness, put-downs and general boorish behavior. as in any other situation, please accept what is useful, and joyfully shared, and ignore the base and mean-spirited! and please, don't lose your interest in the game because of a few of the players! Patti Ireland, BCA referee, league secretary, and long-time player.

stickman
07-26-2002, 06:02 PM
DON'T EVER GIVE UP

Don't ever give up on living your dream
Although out of reach it may seem
If in this life you want to win
When you get knocked down, get up again.

Whatever it is that you're trying to do
To yourself you must be true
Although it would be so easy to quit
You must keep going, you can't just sit.

The only way to accomplish your goal
Is to climb out of each and every hole
Although at times it seems too much to ask
You've got what it takes to complete the task.

If you want to cross the finish line
You can't just mope around and whine
If in yourself you firmly believe
What satisfaction you shall receive.

David Campbell
(aka)BigJake40
11/19/99

http://www.affordadornments.com/media/lg4546.gif

bluewolf
07-27-2002, 05:44 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Patti_I:</font><hr> bluewolf- I hope you don't go away entirely- and don't think you don't "belong" in this forum-anyone with a true interest in the game has every right to be a part of these discussions! hopefully you will find there are people out here who will be happy to answer questions without hurting feelings- but like any other aspect of life, some people are kind and considerate, some are jerks. one problem with communciation by email and posting is that the voice inflection, etc are not available to help you interpret the true sentiment behind someone's words, and sometimes what a poster may have meant as a gentle jest can come off in written form as hard, mean or cruel. on the other hand, there ARE people who care for nothing but trying to make themselves look important, whatever means it takes, which can include rudeness, put-downs and general boorish behavior. as in any other situation, please accept what is useful, and joyfully shared, and ignore the base and mean-spirited! and please, don't lose your interest in the game because of a few of the players! Patti Ireland, BCA referee, league secretary, and long-time player. <hr></blockquote>

i totally agree with what you said about email frequently being understood. for one thing, we all have different senses of humor and to get it you have to get to know the person. also without seeing voice, the twinkle in the eyes etc,it is hard to know the nice guys from those who are intentionally vicious. this is a small enough group that i suspect it wont take me lng to figure this out.

but i did want to thank you guys for being supportive when i was posting 'maybe downtown is right' and sitting in front of my computer crying. i am really very sensitive but i work hard to not take stuff personally and use some logic in figuring out what they really meant.and when people are vicious i know that they are revealing their own inner demons and when i take things personally i am revealing my unresolved issues and insecurities.

we are in the middle of moving my stuff from roanoke va to dc where my husband lives. so we will be off soon and we will get to play pool on my small table and we will also be going to my hubbies parents house so will get play on their nine foot table.

looking forward to the weekend. taking a break from my computer till sunday night.

but i did want to say happy saturday for all and thankx again for your support.

bluewolf

bluewolf
07-27-2002, 05:54 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Nostroke:</font><hr> You have to crawl before you walk (to coin a phrase)so my suggestion is to be patient, read and learn. Also, it sounds like you are playing bar league 8 ball. Get yourself to a real poolroom now and then. Go to a nine ball tournament in your area, watch the better players and talk to other attendees. I say nine ball because they outnumber 8 ball tournaments 10-1 .Go to azbilliards.com and other net sites and read their articles as well.

In the meantime if you need to know meanings of some terminology, use the "private message" feature here and ask your questions that way.(click on members name-look for "clickable" at bottom of resulting page) Ill be glad to answer as will 99% of the other members here. Im sure you will know who to avoid. <hr></blockquote>

thankx. i am just getting used to playing 8 ball on 9 foot tables and the tables dont look too big anymore. the pool we were playing was on 4x8.

i love 9 ball but am horrible at it.and i try it occasionally when you watch the pros on tv, it looks easy but i think lots of people dont realize how hard it really is.

bluewolf

9 Ball Girl
07-27-2002, 01:02 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr>followed by lots of shots..<hr></blockquote>

Ah, a man after my own heart! /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

jjinfla
07-27-2002, 08:37 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr> I am desparately trying to see what this has to do with pool..

&lt;img src="http://www.xmag.com/archives/9-04-oct01/images/features/inknpink-rorschach.gif"&gt;

<hr></blockquote>

Well, you fold it in half, turn it on its side, and it becomes obscene art. But you all knew that. Jake

07-27-2002, 08:48 PM
Hi Patti,
I know u are not the womens lib leader patricia Ireland.I liked your comment.If I may ask u a personal Question-What is your Astrological sign? cheers
vagabond

07-28-2002, 02:12 AM
I can't beleive what I just read,an honest person it's refreshing . I've been around this game for 40 + years and everyone I ever met that plays this game thinks they know more than they actually do. Present company included .
Jack

Scott Lee
07-28-2002, 02:20 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr> we can all learn from anyone... no one knows it all.. <hr></blockquote>

Amen to THAT Tom! LOL...and if they DID, they wouldn't be able to call it up all the time! That's just the freak nature of pool. Occasionally most of us play "brilliantly" for brief bursts of creative enjoyment. But the ultimate truth in pool is, everybody misses! LOL

Scott

07-29-2002, 01:05 AM
blue wolf you are right about one thing that you said... I am only playing and I truly mean no offence to anyone here, although I do over step boundaries from time to time.
I too have found this place a very difficult place to post with regards to tips, tricks or instruction... many times what I had hoped to be a helpful post for beginner players to intermediate has been taken and disected by the local boo birds and rocket scientists that seem to frequent this place, bastardized in so many ways that by the end of it all anyone reading the thread of posts would have absolutely nothing productive to take from what was meant to be just a simple lesson (right or wrong) from someone elses perspective. If I didnt have one guy tellin me that hes taught thousands so he cant be wrong Ive had another telling me that due to gravitational flow and the theory of relativity (just smart ass examples) it cant be possible that the balls can roll this way. Almost every instructional type thread that gets posted here gets slugged out till 50 different people on both sides disagree about absolutely everything and noone reading it would know if the lesson was worthwhile or not.... I am sure I will get some responces here telling us all that constructive criticism is good and things should be looked at from all angles... but sometimes people here take it way too far.... too many times things get over analyzed and the benifits get lost in the translation. Luckily for me I rarely come here seeking such information anymore as I found it to be almost a complete waste of time there are plenty of pool websites around that offer great tips and instruction such as www.easypooltutor.com (http://www.easypooltutor.com) to help gain solid fundamentals and basic to advanced information. Blue wolf have fun posting here and making friends but dont put too much stock in hoping to find the magic key to help you with your game. you seem to be on the right track with your husband and at some point you will probably want some real quality instruction... my advice would be not to go to some flashy instructor that charges an arm and a leg for a 30 minute lesson, they tend to give you a little shock value which pumps up your game for a week or two. take the slow steady approach, ask lots of questions and practice practice practice. email me anytime you need a question answered from someone other than your husband.

Ken

jjinfla
07-29-2002, 04:46 AM
I knew it! The "real" Downtown finally exposed in all his glory. Someone finally got to your sensitive side. LOL Jake

AustinFilAm
07-29-2002, 09:56 AM
Hi B'Wolf,
Here's another website you might want to checkout:
http://www.onthesnap.com/jargon.htm

Take care and enjoy the game... Angelo

bluewolf
07-29-2002, 11:25 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: d0wnt0wn:</font><hr> blue wolf you are right about one thing that you said... I am only playing and I truly mean no offence to anyone here, although I do over step boundaries from time to time.
I too have found this place a very difficult place to post with regards to tips, tricks or instruction... many times what I had hoped to be a helpful post for beginner players to intermediate has been taken and disected by the local boo birds and rocket scientists that seem to frequent this place, bastardized in so many ways that by the end of it all anyone reading the thread of posts would have absolutely nothing productive to take from what was meant to be just a simple lesson (right or wrong) from someone elses perspective. If I didnt have one guy tellin me that hes taught thousands so he cant be wrong Ive had another telling me that due to gravitational flow and the theory of relativity (just smart ass examples) it cant be possible that the balls can roll this way. Almost every instructional type thread that gets posted here gets slugged out till 50 different people on both sides disagree about absolutely everything and noone reading it would know if the lesson was worthwhile or not.... I am sure I will get some responces here telling us all that constructive criticism is good and things should be looked at from all angles... but sometimes people here take it way too far.... too many times things get over analyzed and the benifits get lost in the translation. Luckily for me I rarely come here seeking such information anymore as I found it to be almost a complete waste of time there are plenty of pool websites around that offer great tips and instruction such as <a target="_blank" href=http://www.easypooltutor.com>www.easypooltutor.com</a> to help gain solid fundamentals and basic to advanced information. Blue wolf have fun posting here and making friends but dont put too much stock in hoping to find the magic key to help you with your game. you seem to be on the right track with your husband and at some point you will probably want some real quality instruction... my advice would be not to go to some flashy instructor that charges an arm and a leg for a 30 minute lesson, they tend to give you a little shock value which pumps up your game for a week or two. take the slow steady approach, ask lots of questions and practice practice practice. email me anytime you need a question answered from someone other than your husband.

Ken <hr></blockquote>

downtown,

i havent been here long enough to really know everybody. one thing i will say though is that when i am learning a new shot, i use different methods, whatever seems like it will work best. i also try the different suggestions people give me and decide if it works for my style. i am pretty right brained so dont just see things one way. i see many paths to the same destination.

i also think it is possible to learn something even from a player who isnt as good.everybody can be a teacher in that sense. sometimes a total beginner can come up with something that is so simple yet so brilliant.

i dont like taking lessons from 'my way or the highway' type people. there is a guy like that in my town. he is a super one pocket player. but he holds his cue different than me.my stroke is working for me fine right now so no plans to change it unless i see that a change will improve my game. anyway i wouldve liked to take a lesson from this man just to help me on bankshots but knowing the kind of person he is, he would want to change my stroke, stance and everything else.

bluewolf