PDA

View Full Version : brunswick table for sale? need help

mrgoochio
08-23-2007, 04:51 PM
Theres a $500 brunswick table on craigslist.. I know very little about tables and don't know whether or not this is worth it. I wouldn't know how to disassemble or reassemble the table.. how much would it cost to hire someone to do that? I guess moving would be included in that kind of service? I want the table in my garage. heres the ad, please let me know what you guys think.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/tag/399777585.html

DeadCrab
08-23-2007, 07:20 PM
Hire a pro to move it.

Teardown and assembly are probably going to be $200 on each end. Add in the moving fee.

Now you know why used pool tables are such a bargain.

mrgoochio
08-24-2007, 01:24 AM
I'm not sure I follow.. are you saying its a bargain to pay $400 for assembly/disassembly and more for moving? Thats more then the actual table cost..

DeadCrab
08-24-2007, 06:20 AM
Disassembling and reassembling a pool table requires skill. You could move it yourself, if you want to lug 200 pound slates.

Some of it is tedious work, like removing the staples to get the cloth off. Some of it requires skill and experience, like setting, leveling, sealing the slate seams, and re-installing the cloth.

This is for standard pool tables with 3-piece slates. Commercial "bar box" tables can be moved without disassembly, but you need to make sure you can move it (very big and heavy).

In any event, you may want to call local dealers, billiard supply stores, ect in your area to see what they charge.

BigRigTom
08-24-2007, 09:35 AM
$500 if a pretty good price usually on just about any Brunswick in really good condition.

I don't totally agree with the posters comment that it takes a lot of skill to disassemble a pool table.
It just takes someone who doesn't mind taking their time and keeping track of how it was put together and be sure you mark the pieces on the underside in a clear readable manner so you will know how to put it back together right.
It does take some knowledge to set it up correctly and get the table level plus you will almost certainly want to replace the cloth once in the new location.

The picture of the table looks pretty good but you'll want to see it in person to be sure there are no serious flaws. It sounds like a pretty decent price but the seller will probably go down if you are serious and have cash in hand and also ready to move it right away.

I bought a similar table for $275 and me and my friend took it apart and moved it to my garage in his pickup truck.
Those slabs of slate probably weight over a 100 lbs each so be sure to be careful and don't drop or chip them.
The rest of the table is very light in comparison and it all fits in a regular sized pickup truck. 1 person can do it but it is better if there are at least 2 of you. Also keep close track of screws and hardware and be sure you know what is used for what...sounds dumb but you'll be amazed how easy it is to get confused once you have it all in a pill of parts.

mantis
08-24-2007, 10:37 PM
The slate pieces for my table are 250 pounds a piece.

BigRigTom
08-25-2007, 11:29 AM
Well I never put mine on a scale but the table is whats called an 8' pro size with 46"x92" playing surface. The 1" thick slate comes apart into 3 pieces when you disassemble the table. I can lift and carry 1 piece (with some effort) so I would have to say they do not weigh 200 lbs each (I'm not that strong). They are very heavy though and I didn't even try to completely handle them by myself, I got help. I don't need a hernia if you know what I mean.

mrgoochio
08-25-2007, 08:12 PM
Does anybody know any companies that will disassemble, transport, and assemble the table thats located in southern california? I'm having a hard time finding a good company so a link would be awesome. thanks in advance guys

DeadCrab
08-26-2007, 06:59 AM
If you don't get a response here, the Arizona Billiards forum has a section for questions to table mechanics. There is at least one regular there from SoCal.

Go to http://forums.azbilliards.com/, and scroll down to the "Talk to a mechanic" section. Someone there can probably hook you up.