PDA

View Full Version : 14.1 play question

RDR
08-26-2007, 05:52 PM
Hi... I'm wondering if "opening break rules" apply to the 15th ball shot? Can a player drive the cue ball into the rack without calling an object ball and pocket? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif Thanks!

okinawa77
08-26-2007, 06:38 PM
I am not sure what you mean by "opening break shot". The opening break is the same as all shots in straight pool. If you intend to stay at the table, then call a ball and pocket on the opening break. The most common strategy is to play a defensive break.

On the 15th ball, you can drive the cue ball into the rack without calling a pocket, but....that would not be a very good stategy because you would break up the rack and give your opponent an easy out. If you intend to stay at the table, every single shot is call ball/call pocket. If you fail to do so, it is your opponent's turn at the table. The only time you do not call a ball/pocket...is when you intend to play a safety....and it is a courtesy to call a safety before you execute the shot.

On the 15th ball, you can also call a safety and pocket the ball. The 15th ball is then spotted on the foot spot, like an opening break rack, and the cue ball stays where ever it rested from the shot. This can be advantageous strategically, but usually not against a highly skilled straight pool player.

Deeman3
08-27-2007, 07:39 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote RDR:</font><hr> Hi... I'm wondering if "opening break rules" apply to the 15th ball shot? Can a player drive the cue ball into the rack without calling an object ball and pocket? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif Thanks! <hr /></blockquote>

He/she can drive the cue ball into the rack as long as they drive a ball to the rail or the cue ball hits a rail after contact with the rack (or any other ball). Unlike the opening break where two balls must contact a rail, only one ball has to go to a rail or, as said, the cue to the rail after contact.

08-27-2007, 08:03 AM
For what it might be worth, RDR, you just described the game that PRECEDED 14.1 as the official version of straight pool. It was called Continuous Pool; the balls were re-racked after the shooter pocketed the 15th ball, and he then had the option of playing safe or blasting the pack open. If anything fell on that break, it counted and the shooter could continue his run. 14.1 was invented in 1910 by a player named Jerome Keogh (who, oddly, was a Continuous Pool champion but never won anything at his own game) and adopted as the tournament game two years later. The all-time long run at Continuous Pool was in the mid-90s, by Alfredo de Oro. GF

Deeman3
08-27-2007, 08:48 AM
George,

The way the balls have been breaking open for me down in the humid South, I think I might have a better chance with the old game. /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Thanks for the info, I didn't know that history. I wonder if Mr. Koegh was sorry he came up with the continuous version? Sounds like something I would do.