PDA

View Full Version : Good thing we got Ed here and now SKennedy....

wolfdancer
08-26-2007, 07:52 PM
else I wouldn't have known that this two hour Discovery Channel special on Global Warming was science fiction...
Sure seems like a lot of otherwise smart people are buying into it though.....and even many other nations falling for it....we're lucky we got Bush...
I think we have to ban our scientists from further polar explorations...the first step in stopping this urban legend....and we need to vote in another Republican President, to discourage any more climate research that tends to support GW.

hondo
08-27-2007, 06:59 AM
Right. Georg sent me a list of scientists approved
by the RNP and I need not pay attention to any
others.
I'm proud to say that our own SKennedy is on the
approved list.

SKennedy
08-27-2007, 09:34 AM
I'm all in favor of conducting good, unbiased scientific research on global warming and it's cause. Global warming is a fact, the causes (all of them - man, moose gas, sun spots, etc.) are only theory. And no one knows (except Gore) how long the warming will continue?
As to the Discovery Channel and similar networks....which I watch and enjoy on a regular basis...their function is to entertain. Sometimes they present items as fact when they are actually theory. No respectable and honest scientist obtains his information, or the basis of his findings, from what is presented on these shows. While these shows do present information (and generally they do it fairly well), they do take leaps and liberties in presenting information. As to the specific show on global warming...I did not see it and can't comment on it one way or the other. While I am of the current opinion that global warming is from natural causes, which are far more significant than what man can influence, my opinions can change. Despite what you may think, I love nature and wish to conserve and preserve it. I enjoy the outdoors and spend a lot of time enjoying it. If I thought human activity was the cause of global warming, I'd be trying to get my message out and advocate change as well. My opinions have nothing to do with the current president, future president, or politics. All I have offered on this site are my opinions. I have tried to do that, for the most part, in a nice way and have had fun picking at Gayle. I think she accepted my comments in the way they were intended, just as I would joke with someone talking directly to me in person. I don't think I have intentionally put someone down who did not agree with me by stating they were intellectually inferior to me, etc. I am well aware that scientific minds, much superior to mine, believe that man is the culprit for global warming. But, I still think they are wrong to make that assumption. It has been indicated that since I disagree with you that I must be ignorant. Maybe I am. I pointed out my vocation to simply imply that my opinions are based upon some sense and understanding of science. When it comes to climatology, I am a layman just like the rest.
As for Ed...well, I don't know him but you should probably apologize to him for lumping him with me.
And as for other nations....I could really care less what other "nations" think. I'm so worried about these things that it takes me less than 1 minute to go to sleep every night. Of course, that must be a result of my ignorance and inability to conceptualize the dire situations that await us. Ignorance is bliss and I'm pretty blissful! The water is great, come on in!

Gayle in MD
08-27-2007, 09:35 AM
I don't think we should let the "Politicians in Washington"
set the time line on addressing Global Warming, lol /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif...Every time Bush and his crew of crooks breaks the law, yet again, and he has to deal with Congressional oversight, he starts ranting about the politicians in Washington! This from a man that politicised the entire Department Of Justice, with the help of Meyers, Rove and Gonzales!

Hey, take it as a heads up. If this administration is trying to censor the scientifice findings, it's got to be a fact, Global Warming, and the connection to fossil fuels, that is. They only bother with a cover up when there is overwhelming evidence!

G.

SKennedy
08-27-2007, 10:04 AM
What? I'm on the list? That sorry Bush....I haven't seen a check yet!! Not only that, I'm having to pay the same amount as you common folk for gas.

eg8r
08-27-2007, 11:47 AM
I know that mentioning this is like talking to a brick wall, but I will try once again. The issue with Global Warming is not whether or not global warming is happening, the issue is what is causing it. Anyone who says, based on fact, that GW is happening because of human intervention is just blowing smoke. These people are not interested in the truth, they are interested in grant money.

There is no problem with Global warming "especially" at the rate we are seeing. Pretty soon the silver mines in Greenland will re-open after having been frozen over for so long. The doom and gloom crowd are trying to tell us if the earth heats up anymore we are in trouble, however there is plenty of proof that the earth is much much cooler right now than it has been for much of the history of the earth. The earth heating back up is not necessarily a bad thing it is just returning us back to the temps of our past.

eg8r

Deeman3
08-27-2007, 11:53 AM
Ed,

Be careful with the initials there. There are those who will take your GW and turn it into GWB, you know, Global Warming Bush!
/ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

SKennedy
08-27-2007, 12:04 PM
I figure with GW that the area I live will become the next Cancun! When the NE liberals (Gayle) come here to vacation, I'll have to move. (just kidding Gayle....but bring your $20 bills for pool!)

SKennedy
08-27-2007, 12:07 PM
By the way....2 more posts and I get to move from "newbie" to "idiot" or something? I bet Hondo and Wolfie will agree with me on this one....

Gayle in MD
08-27-2007, 01:01 PM
LOL, well, Maryland isn't quite North East, hence, we couldn't decide which side we were on in the Civil War, until we were forced onto one side.

I really don't understand how anyone could see the effects of pollution, smog, and other results of carbon Dyoxide, and emissions, and the destruction of the rain forest, and the vast amount of coastal land, vanishing, and be so sure that GW isn't caused by the results of man. There are more negative results of man, and overpopulation, than just burning fuels.

I also don't think that those who study Science are as likely candidates for monetary corruption, and the oil industry, and the Bush Administration, either.

But, since reasoned debate has been weakened by Rovarian style rebonics, the potentially devastating issue has been transformed into a political tool, to be used against Democrats, who have traditionally been the guardians of our environment, hence, all those who care about it, are dubbed "Tree Huggers" and painted as looney's, for bweing so gullable to listen to the opinions of a huge number of highly respected scientists. My guess, is that those who disagree, have stock in oil, or are members of the growing corporate fascist movement in this country, aka, neocons, and/any and all radio and TV stations contaminated by filth like Rupert Murdoch.

Unfortunately, some people are uable to subscribe to any theories, that might include spending enough money to make us safe, if there is any possibility of tax money being involved.

Personally, I think those types should all move to Isreal, where they'll be embraced for their frugal natures. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Unfortunately, those same types haven't learned the first rule of economics, eleminate interest! Huge National Debt, has no effect on them, at all, for they are compassionate Conservatives, hence, their motto is, "Let the kids and the grand-kids pay for it! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Gayle in Md.

wolfdancer
08-27-2007, 01:12 PM
Nothing matters until you get to be "Grand Pooh Bah " (Lord High Everything Else) then you will have reached Ed's exalted status...and not only will others take your words as "gospel"
but you'll even begin to believe your own "Bullsh*t"
A few more posts...and I'll start taking myself seriously...

wolfdancer
08-27-2007, 01:19 PM
Damn, this thread was going along swimmingly...but now I gots me one of them red flag replies .....
My own uneducated belief is that serious climatic changes are occurring....however, it may be too late to do anything about them. How much of a role did man play...I would think that part is debatable....but not the idea that the ice cap is melting, and glaciers are crashing into the sea...
Here's a former Republican climate research scientist, now
sadly deceased....(sorry, I used the same image in two posts)

http://img66.imageshack.us/img66/5919/pic19976iw7.jpg

hondo
08-27-2007, 02:54 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SKennedy:</font><hr> What? I'm on the list? That sorry Bush....I haven't seen a check yet!! Not only that, I'm having to pay the same amount as you common folk for gas. <hr /></blockquote>

Maybe you can get a job as a private contractor in
Iraq. Trust me. It's a license to steal.

eg8r
08-27-2007, 02:56 PM
You can only hold their hands for so long and then they need to step up and begin thinking for themselves.

eg8r

SKennedy
08-27-2007, 03:10 PM
Trust me, when you live in East Texas Maryland is the northeast. My mother in-law thinks southern Illinois (wife is from Chicago) is the south!
Deeman can tell you where the real south is at.....
And just one more thing....glaciers naturally calve...always have. I still say, at least for the US, that our nation is cleaner now than it was 30 to 40 years ago, especially surface water. And do you know which administrations actually produced the most signficant environmental laws and agencies.....believe it or not, and I know you will not believe me...republican (not anyone recently).

Qtec
08-27-2007, 05:32 PM
What you fail to mention is the the global temp rise has happened in a very short period of time. A time period that almost exactly links to the industrial revolution.
co2 levels are higher now than they have been for the last 650.000 years.
Its quite simple- normal people look at the facts and draw a conclusion. GW 'deniers'are not interested in facts, never have been.
They only see the cost or some HUGE Liberal conspiracy[ involving 1,000s of scientists from all round the world I might add ][/ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif]and thats why they have DENY the evidence.
The WHOLE anti-GW mob are ALL financed by Exxon etc. They are paid to dispute facts and decieve people about whats really happening with the world.
Why?

Its obvious.

The Cig Companies managed for years to deny the link between cigs and cancer. Even during that time they were under pressure they were developing more addictive cigs!
This is a fact.[ look it up]

A normal person would say . "wait, if there is the SLIGHTEST possibilily that man ,thru his actions, is possibly having an adverse effect on the climate, we should err on the side of caution".

Your mob says "lets produce MORE coal-fired power stations".

As usual, a no brain reactionary post from the big eg! LOL

Q .....

wolfdancer
08-27-2007, 05:44 PM
Q, that's the part that gets me....denying everything. Well no problem as some of the trigger points may have already been met. I wouldn't be signing any long term leases in Fla....centuries, decades, years, ?) from now they might be comparing Fla to Atlantis.

SKennedy
08-27-2007, 05:52 PM
What do you expect for Dade County. It's GWB's way of getting back at them. And when it's gone, we didn't see nothin'.

Qtec
08-27-2007, 06:31 PM
The anti GW crap being spewed on RW forums, chart shows, radio etc can usually be traced back to the same source.

Their MO is always the same, ie ther Wedge Theory'

I have visited many of these sites and they are mostly full of crap or they claim false assumptions based on legitimate research.

Q

wolfdancer
08-27-2007, 06:31 PM
LOL !!!

pooltchr
08-27-2007, 07:36 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr>
Your mob says "lets produce MORE coal-fired power stations".

Q ..... <hr /></blockquote>

I don't know about "Ed's Mob", but "My Mob" would love to see more Nuclear Reactors...clean, virtually unlimited fuel source, no fossel fuels burned, efficient...only problem is the people who need them the most (the LEFT coast) won't allow them to be built.
Save the enviornment, but do it somewhere else!
We have 3 nuclear plants within an hour of our city...and I for one am glad to have them. When I see a cloud of steam rising from one of them, rather than a cloud of black smoke, I think we've got the right idea. Of course, I live in the south, so I'm just an ignorant hick.
Steve

eg8r
08-27-2007, 07:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What you fail to mention is the the global temp rise has happened in a very short period of time. A time period that almost exactly links to the industrial revolution.
<hr /></blockquote> What you choose to ignore is the fact that the temps have warmed that quickly near the beginning of the 1900s and there was no industrial revolution.

[ QUOTE ]
co2 levels are higher now than they have been for the last 650.000 years.
<hr /></blockquote> There is zero evidence that this is what is driving GW.

As usual q shows his ignorance.

eg8r

SKennedy
08-28-2007, 08:51 AM
I'm further south. I must be more ignorant. Is it a linear or exponential relationship?
Nuclear does have advantages and some disadvantages as well. There is enough methane beneath the ocean floor to provide enough power for eons. The problem is that we don't know how to control it in a safe manner.

Deeman3
08-28-2007, 09:12 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SKennedy:</font><hr> I'm further south. I must be more ignorant. Is it a linear or exponential relationship?
Nuclear does have advantages and some disadvantages as well. There is enough methane beneath the ocean floor to provide enough power for eons. The problem is that we don't know how to control it in a safe manner. <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> Apparently, neither do the moose.... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif</font color>