PDA

View Full Version : Eliminating Upper Arm Movement

07-26-2002, 05:33 PM
Someone told me I'm moving my upper arm way too much while stroking, and I had someone else confirm it.

I had spent some practice time at the PH a couple of months ago just trying to be consious of not doing that. I thought I had gotten my upper arm to stay pretty steady, but apparently not. It's very difficult to percieve how your own stroke is.

I don't know of any practice routine or drill that is particularly geared towards reducing this undesirable movement in the shoulder joint. The only thing I can think of is to shoot balls while concentrating on nothing but keeping the upper arm still.

Maybe I should try just stroking a cue at home while looking in a mirror, although I don't have a pool table there. No pool halls have mirrors in the playing area.

Jay M
07-26-2002, 05:57 PM
define moving... are you raising and lowering your arm? Are you wiggling it from side to side? What are you doing?

Jay M

stickman
07-26-2002, 06:16 PM
If you have a camcorder and a tripod, take it with you to the poolhall. I know that no one would say anything here, if I wanted to record myself. If you're too embarrassed to do this, then try stroking on the kitchen table and record it. It's pretty funny seeing yourself shooting for the first time. I learned to stroke without the upper arm movement by practicing over and over until it became natural. If you didn't start out stroking this way, it takes a while to get used to it.

07-26-2002, 07:02 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Jay M:</font><hr> are you raising and lowering your arm or wiggling it from side to side?<hr></blockquote> Not sure, I left the PH the other night before we could discuss it. I'll find out and let you know. It might be a few days before I bump into the same guy or someone I trust to check it out though. I can't go up to just anybody and ask them to check it out.

TonyM
07-26-2002, 11:03 PM
One way that is used by Jerry Briesath is to try shooting balls into the corner pockets down the rail, but use one hand only. No object ball, just any ball, and get down in your stance, but put your bridge hand on your knee and shoot the shot one handed. Make sure that the tip ends up down on the cloth each time.

What I do is watch the tip movement for a while. Try stroking the cue without any balls. When the upper arm is held still, the tip will describe an arc motion going down towards the cloth after the forearm has passed the vertical position.

So if you focus on trying to achieve that kind of tip motion (tip going down to the cloth) then you will tend to hold your upper arm still automatically.

Shoot some simple shots this way, or even just some balls up and down the table. Watch the tip motion, and try and focus on how that feels in your back arm when you get it right.

It takes a while to build the muscle memory, but 10 minutes of warm-up like this before every practice session should help.

While you are shooting balls in your normal practice session, make note of the cue shaft position after the shot. If the tip is the same height or higher than it was at address, you can be sure that your upper arm moved downwards. You don't need someone to tell you this, just be observant.

Tony

07-26-2002, 11:17 PM
Thanks, I'll try that right away. Egg

stickman
07-27-2002, 07:02 AM
There is a very long thread about this from a little while back. As Tony advised, the tip position at finish will tell you immediately, if your upper arm dropped. My stroke normally ends with the tip on the cloth.

http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showthreaded.php?Cat=&amp;Board=ccbboard&amp;Number=19378&amp; page=&amp;view=&amp;sb=&amp;o=

07-27-2002, 09:09 AM
I have watched quite a few pro players on tape. I have yet to see one who does not move their upper arm. When they are stroking back and forth you can see their elbow move up and down. As they follow thru on the final stroke it is even more noticeable. The elbow drop is easy to see. Many seem to be more concerned weather their cue is going in a straight line than their upper arm position.