PDA

View Full Version : Coming to America

cuetangclan
08-29-2007, 03:08 AM
Hello,

The other day I was talking to my partner and we decided to go on a holiday. We live in Audtralia. So we talked about where to go and what to do, and the idea came up that instead of doing the typical tourist thing that a bit of a poolhall tour could be worth a go. Bec likes hanging out with people and I like playing pool. I think it would be a good way to meet the locals and discover the some areas of the US that tourists wouldn't usually get to see.

So the question is this.

Where are the best poolhalls in the US? I know this a very subjective question, however as anyone into atmosphere and quality of pool will tell you, the feel pf a place just can't be gauged by photos on the internet. And, since you're all avid pool players I thought here would be a good place to start.

My other question is, has anyone else done something similar in an overseas country, and what was the experience like?

Thanks

pooltchr
08-29-2007, 04:32 AM
You can pick any part of the country and find some great rooms. Florida has a lot, the Carolinas, Mid Atlantic, New England, the deep south, mid-west, and west coast. If you tried to find them all, it would take a lifetime. Pick an area you want to visit, and then find the rooms in that area.
Good Luck
Steve

Rich R.
08-29-2007, 06:27 AM
Rather than just coming to the U.S. to see pool rooms, I would strongly recommend you plan your trip to come for the U.S. Open.

http://www.usopen9ballchampionships.com/index.php

This would give you the opportunity to see one of the best 9-ball tournaments, and most of the top players, in the world. Also, nearby, is the pool room, Q-Masters, owned by Barry Behrman, the promoter of the Open. Barry keeps his room open 24/7, during the U.S. Open and there is a ton of action to watch and/or participate in.

You could also participate in the annual CCB Tournament and meet some of people from this forum.
http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=ccb&Number=255365&page=0&v iew=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

Deeman3
08-29-2007, 06:52 AM
Cuetangclan:

If you do opt to come for a pool tour, your best option aside from attending a major tournament would be to pick one of the major metropolitan areas to see the most pool halls in the smallest area. New York, L.A. and Chicago are probably at the top of the list. Florida, as someone mentioned, is a great place but you will have to put a few miles on a rental car to cover many places. Of course, if your in Melbourne, you have to drive a ways to go anywhere anyway. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Good luck, once you decide a plan there are many nice folks on here that will give you locations for the best places.

bataisbest
09-01-2007, 10:05 PM
Forget the U.S. Go to the Phillipines where the best players in the world are! You will find plenty of rooms there in Metro Manila and the hospitality is incredible. The Mecca of pool in my opinion. You may even bump in to Efren or Bustamante and get a match or two.

cuetangclan
09-04-2007, 07:08 AM
Thanks for the advice guys. Coming to see the US open is a great idea, however I don't get my leave until Jan. So maybe I'll put in early for next year and get my leave over the us open week next year!

Manila would be cool, however I'm not really concerned with meeting and playing against the best in the first instance, I'm looking for character and atmosphere, which I'm sure Manila has, however as I've been to Asia before and not to the US, I think I'd rather go there.

One last thing, what does CCB stand for?

Thanks.

Rich R.
09-04-2007, 07:20 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cuetangclan:</font><hr> One last thing, what does CCB stand for?
<hr /></blockquote>This forum is named the Cue Chalk Board, hence the initials, CCB.

Deeman3
09-04-2007, 07:25 AM
If January is when you can come, check out the Derby City Classic in Louisville. Many of us make it there each year and it is a solid week of pool, non-stop.

bsmutz
09-04-2007, 01:03 PM
There's a thread over on AZBilliard's main forum asking for everyone's favorite pool hall. Might want to check it out for ideas.