PDA

View Full Version : Another Rule

07-26-2002, 05:38 PM
Yopur playing 9-Ball. The cue ball is frozen to the 3 ball
and you are shooting the 2 ball you are shootig away from the 3 ball and as you shoot the 2 the 3 roles into a crater
in the felt. The 3 ball moved but you did not hit it. Is it a foul because the 3 ball moved even though you did not hit it? Thanks Rooster

Jay M
07-26-2002, 05:47 PM
The outcome is the same, but the reason depends on the foul rules being played. It is a foul.

If you are playing "all fouls" the reason is because it moved. Doesn't matter if you touched it or not, the assumption will be that you did unless you have a referee watching the shot who makes the call that it wasn't through contact.

If you are playing cue fouls only (pro express), it is a foul IF the 3 was in the path of the shot. If a ball is in the path of the shot and is bumped, it's a foul. The assumption with a ball that moves is that something caused it to move, just as before. Again, that could be overruled by a referee that was watching the shot and determined that no foul occurred. Now if the three was off to the side and you had a clear shot on the two shooting perpendicular to the 3, it's not a foul, because it is not in the path of the shot....

Did I confuse you yet?

Jay M

07-26-2002, 07:50 PM
Thanks for the info. I am a certified V.N.E.A. referee
and I have never seen such a thing.

Cueless Joey
07-26-2002, 07:57 PM
This sounds like a "gravity" foul to me.

Jay M
07-26-2002, 08:22 PM
It doesn't come up often, but those are the rules that we played under in the SE Open, US Open, central florida open and such (the pro express version). I don't think that it is covered explicitly in any of the rulesets but the case came up where a player was kicking at a ball that was hidden and bumped a ball that may, or may not, have been in the way with the tip of his cue when he pulled it out of the way. It was determined that the ball which moved could have POSSIBLY affected the outcome of the shot and as such the shot was a foul. Since that ruling, it's been played that way in every event I've been in. It may not be in the books, but it's a de facto rule that I've seen come into play a few times.

Jay M<~~ If you don't like this rule, blame Kennedy, he's the one that made the first ruling on it.