PDA

View Full Version : Appalachia Who!!!

dg-in-centralpa
09-01-2007, 03:31 PM
Unknown Appalachia goes to the big house and beats Michigan who's seeded #3. What a game. Wahoo!!!

DG - Go Penn State!

pooltchr
09-01-2007, 04:31 PM
Appalachian State holds the longest winning streak in the country at the moment at 15. Although the Mountaineers are division 1-AA, they have a great football program. The campus is in Boone, NC in the mountains of NC, and is a fine school. I wonder if Michigan might have taken them a little to lightly going in to the game. Those last second field goals sure make some exciting football, don't they!
Steve

sack316
09-01-2007, 04:57 PM
friggin awesome. Reminds me of when Troy (Formerly Troy State) beat Missouri a few years back... only an even bigger upset.

I thought Michigan was ranked #5 though? Either way "was" is the operative word there. And also, it's no longer division 1-AA, it's now called "D-1 Championship".

I love seeing upsets like that. Always nice to see the little guy take out one of the big dogs. I sure would hate to be a Wolverine in practice this week!

Sack

dg-in-centralpa
09-01-2007, 05:06 PM
This shows what can happen when you want to play a "Cream Puff" at the beginning of the season for a warm up. I know everybody does it, but I think they took them lightly. Can you imagine the reception they'll get when they get back home? Good job Appalachian State!

DG

dg-in-centralpa
09-01-2007, 05:08 PM
I agree about being a Wolverine this week. But whoever they play next week better watch out. They'll be out for blood.

DG

wolfdancer
09-01-2007, 06:15 PM
thought it was a misprint on the screen when I saw it....and wasn't Mich. St. losing too?
The biggest "unknown" beating a ranked team in collegiate sports though... basketball....may have been in Dec. 1982 when tiny Chaminade beat #1 ranked Virgina, that had 3 time player of the year Ralph Sampson.
And in today's BC game, the back up QB to Ryan is Flutie (Doug's nephew)...
....a bit of an upset as well in 1984 ???
web page (http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-qkpsygNYo)
I never get tired of seeing it....

dg-in-centralpa
09-01-2007, 06:56 PM
I love to see the little guy win sometimes. I remember that game with Sampson. Michigan St. won. Everybody won who's supposed to win except Mcihigan. They are already calling for Lloyd Carr's(their coach) head. This is what dreams are made of. Appalachian came in with nothing to lose, since they weren't supposed to win anyway, and played their hearts out. Congratulations to them!

DG

Rich R.
09-01-2007, 07:36 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dg-in-centralpa:</font><hr> This shows what can happen when you want to play a "Cream Puff" at the beginning of the season for a warm up. I know everybody does it, but I think they took them lightly. Can you imagine the reception they'll get when they get back home? Good job Appalachian State! <hr /></blockquote>
These schedules are done years in advance. A team that is a cream puff when the game was scheduled may not be a cream puff now. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
IMHO, a big dog, like Michigan, got what they deserved. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

wolfdancer
09-01-2007, 08:28 PM
Doug, a couple of lines from Yahoo sports...that sums it up nicely:
".....The powers that be had expanded the season a couple years back, adding an extra game so big schools could bring in cream-puff opponents while collecting millions in revenue.

Michigan had never played a I-AA opponent in its history. Now we know why, the Wolverines were ducking them. "

But that's the great thing about sports...the great matchups bewteen two good teams, and the equally great upsets against mismatched teams....
I didn't catch that game...but I'm sure they'll be playing the highlights tonite....